HQ sound in native GBA games is entirely possible

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Interesting approach, exactly what I had in mind as its better than patching each game. Question is can @Sono or another dev think of a way to implement this?

Are the DS and GBA sides of the 3DS totally sandboxed? What I'm thinking is would it be better (possible?) to run OAF hooked into DS mode for more resources available ala Adrenaline on Vita?

It's not sandboxed, it's the real deal. It's a real DSi, real DSLite, real GBA, under the hood. If it works on real hardware, it works on 3DS as well.

In fact, the way GBA audio is done on the 3DS is probably slightly worse than a real GBA, although on the 3DS you have editable audio filters, so I don't really know which is the better way.

In whatever case, patches need to be done as if you had access to a flashcart on a real GBA.

As for DS, I don't think DS needs this patch? Pretty sure DS has like 16 hardware PCM playback channels (with interpolation support as well?), so it should be already as good as it would get.
Although in case of the DS, it is possible to get better quality mixing via emulator enchancement, but that's sadly not something we can achieve on the 3DS due to the way GBA audio is tacked on.

HeadstrongWolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently tested an HQ audio patch for Mother 3 ; the difference was little, but it was there. (Too much "high quality" audio made the game slowdown or crash I believe.)

More info on the Starman Forums if anyone is interested.

SummerDragonfly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there, thank you so much for sharing my MOTHER 3 hack! Someone else on the RHDN forums asked if my patcher could be made generic for all Sappy-based games, and I'm certainly open to accepting contributions towards that; you would just have to have a database with each game's info/pointers stored somewhere.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there, thank you so much for sharing my MOTHER 3 hack! Someone else on the RHDN forums asked if my patcher could be made generic for all Sappy-based games, and I'm certainly open to accepting contributions towards that; you would just have to have a database with each game's info/pointers stored somewhere.
Just curious, could this also work for GSF files? I mentioned it before with no response. Since you're here, I figured I ask again. :ninja:

http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php?title=GSF

SummerDragonfly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)