Homebrew OPEN_AGB_FIRM discussion thread

Rya687

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I thought the same thing and bought a used O2DS. I haven't tried OAF yet but using NSUI injects I wasn't impressed at all. Especially after playing my actual GBA carts on a DS Lite, which is super crisp and bright. From my experience, if you want visual quality, go the DS route, or emulation. The RG351V has served me well for GBA games. Considering the DSi XL route as well. I hear they have great screens.
To my understanding, NSUI is much more limited than this when it comes to options for screen brightness. I never used it, but I believe it utilizes the same firmware Nintendo uses for the Ambassador 3DS games, and those set the screen too dark for my liking.

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
To my understanding, NSUI is much more limited than this when it comes to options for screen brightness. I never used it, but I believe it utilizes the same firmware Nintendo uses for the Ambassador 3DS games, and those set the screen too dark for my liking.
If you want to modify stock AGB_FIRM, use TWPatch by Sono - the same that's used to modify TWL_FIRM, A.K.A. DS mode. In Redshift settings you can modify brightness, RBG intensity, amongst other settings and custom patches outside of Redshift.

Rya687

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
If you want to modify stock AGB_FIRM, use TWPatch by Sono - the same that's used to modify TWL_FIRM, A.K.A. DS mode. In Redshift settings you can modify brightness, RBG intensity, amongst other settings and custom patches outside of Redshift.
Thanks for the info, but I see no need to use AGB_FIRM over this.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know some people want the 'pure' experience but for me playing fullscreen with the bilinear scaling is the way to go. It looks really good on the regular N3DS.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way I can edit the config file and retain the 1:1 scaling instead of the game taking up the whole screen?
Yes, I believe you put 0 next to the video scaler option.
1656703350088.png

not sure if this is correct or not, but I found the video scaler option in the code. it's normally 2, so I just changed it to 0. try it, and report back.

Attachments

• open_agb_firm.7z
    172 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: Maxwellp

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw that the config file also gives this option, so there was no need to compile it. I haven't really messed with open_agb_firm, but I have it assigned to L upon boot up with fastboot.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It works great. Thanks! It's a little petty but there isn't really any decent way to scale up GBA or DS games, even with TWLPatch.
Have you tried using option 1 next to the video option to put it into bilinear scaling? It takes up the entire screen like default but is significantly smoothed. For me it's the perfect option but some people might not like it because it stretches it out from the original. Might be worth looking into if you're interested?

Doomguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking forward, what are some new features we can expect to see in future builds? I'm impressed at the progress it's made.

pokota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still would like remappable buttons (seriously, Start on X and Select on Y is so much better for the hands), and I'm specifically going to need the incorrect headphone detection code so that OAF doesn't detect a headset that isn't there (thank you, water damage).

Once I get more comfortable with the OAF build process I'll see if I can customize the buttons; my understanding is that it's hardwired into the AGB/NDS translation layer which is going to take some shenanigans to work around and will likely cause input delay.

Reactions: Maximumbeans

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I still would like remappable buttons (seriously, Start on X and Select on Y is so much better for the hands)
I didn't realise just how much my hands and mind had willingly gone to this system until I came back to Pokemon Emerald using OAF. Using Start to pause just feels wrong, and I can't believe that's something I'd ever say as a gamer born in the 90s.

Lv44ES_Burner

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't realise just how much my hands and mind had willingly gone to this system until I came back to Pokemon Emerald using OAF. Using Start to pause just feels wrong, and I can't believe that's something I'd ever say as a gamer born in the 90s.
I agree, but my remappable setup would be X - Select, A - Start, B - A, and Y - B. More ergonomically skewed towards the natural pivot of your right thumb that way, y'dig?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Gy3BOmvLf2w?list=OLAK5uy_k27izUIERfT-RIE1qN1CHIOIkW4h5A9BY Play this song if...