Homebrew OPEN_AGB_FIRM discussion thread

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use make release to build all the files.
still got the same error, but I looked at my linux tools and compared them with windows. it was ctr_firm_builder that was missing. success:

1651439766787.png

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was unable to create a symlink (mklink) between 7zip in windows. it kept doing--permission denied. as a result, I just copied the 7zip exe file into the devkitpro/tools/bin.

I also had success with linux after installing p7zip and the full version. :D

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I might be misremembering, but is 800px mode planned on being added for improved horizontal scaling?
Iirc, profi200 saw it didn't made much of a noticeable difference on mGBA and just decided spending that time on something else for OAF. No idea about their current opinion on it, but I guess it's cause of that.

Reactions: RocketRobz

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Finally you can view those uber crappy quality video carts :rofl2:
The smaller video carts pretty much all worked before this commit as far as i know. I don't think the 64 MB ones will ever work because they require a mapper the hardware doesn't support.

Deleted member 594705

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
I just want to say whoever's stupid idea it was to not just map the brightness to a slider value and repurposing the 3D mode slider to act like the original GBA models brightness slider like any sane person and instead hide it inside a fucking INI FILE buried deep in the 3ds folder on the sd card and have no viable way to change the brightness without yet again, taking out the microSD card and having to slip off that annoying shell casing more than is necessary, should be poked in the eyes with needles and never allowed near a compiler again.

As shitty as the alternatives are, they offer me the option to lower the fucking brightness without any super autistic linux programmer button combos and do not start at the MAX BRIGHTNESS SETTING THAT IS EVEN HIGHER THAN THE DEFAULT MAX BRIGHTNESS FOR THE NEW 3DS because god forbid someone wants to play Emerald on better mobile hardware without hurting their fucking eyes.

Last edited by Deleted member 594705,

Rya687

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I just want to say whoever's stupid idea it was to not just map the brightness to a slider value and repurposing the 3D mode slider to act like the original GBA models brightness slider like any sane person and instead hide it inside a fucking INI FILE buried deep in the 3ds folder on the sd card and have no viable way to change the brightness without yet again, taking out the microSD card and having to slip off that annoying shell casing more than is necessary, should be poked in the eyes with needles and never allowed near a compiler again.

As shitty as the alternatives are, they offer me the option to lower the fucking brightness without any super autistic linux programmer button combos and do not start at the MAX BRIGHTNESS SETTING THAT IS EVEN HIGHER THAN THE DEFAULT MAX BRIGHTNESS FOR THE NEW 3DS because god forbid someone wants to play Emerald on better mobile hardware without hurting their fucking eyes.
Calm down a second, will you? It's clear that the developer is currently prioritizing functionality over ease of use. I have no doubt that unless development unexpectedly stalls, there will be ways to adjust settings within the software eventually, but implementing brightness via an INI setting is probably a lot less work than making it adjustable using the 3D slider.

Also, there are homebrew text editors that will allow you to edit the INI file on your actual 3DS. Still a bit clunky, but better than having to put your SD or microSD card into a computer every time you need to change something.

That said, I don't think this software is supposed to use anywhere near the highest possible brightness level by default. I'm using an old 3DS, but its initial brightness was actually a bit too dark for my taste. I'm fairly certain you encountered a bug.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one of the good things about open_agb_firm is that it doesn't freeze or something when saving in one of the golden suns. vc don't, but gbarunner2 does. someone mentioned it, I tested, and it's true.

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

You, sir, are a moron 😒

Deleted member 594705

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Calm down a second, will you? It's clear that the developer is currently prioritizing functionality over ease of use. I have no doubt that unless development unexpectedly stalls, there will be ways to adjust settings within the software eventually, but implementing brightness via an INI setting is probably a lot less work than making it adjustable using the 3D slider.

Also, there are homebrew text editors that will allow you to edit the INI file on your actual 3DS. Still a bit clunky, but better than having to put your SD or microSD card into a computer every time you need to change something.

That said, I don't think this software is supposed to use anywhere near the highest possible brightness level by default. I'm using an old 3DS, but its initial brightness was actually a bit too dark for my taste. I'm fairly certain you encountered a bug.

I downloaded the latest update off the universal updater a week ago. Had no other huge issues with homebrew so far. Its very frustrating because its such a decent homebrew held back by some very small but crucial user functionality that is missing.

It would be very helpful to repurpose the 3D slider and make it function like the original GBA brightness sider while the homebrew is running. They are the same mechanism after all and this is one of the better choices for GBA on the system. Every other emulator has weird graphics bugs that I have never seen before in the entire history of GBA emulation. Not even on the DS itself was there ever a graphics bug where half the screen gets taken up by garbage lines at seemingly random.

Rya687

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
one of the good things about open_agb_firm is that it doesn't freeze or something when saving in one of the golden suns. vc don't, but gbarunner2 does. someone mentioned it, I tested, and it's true.
That doesn't surprise me. To my understanding, gbarunner2 goes for a less accurate approach that involves running GBA games in DS mode. So it's much more prone to bugs and performance issues. I don't know if DS consoles running flash cards and DSi consoles are simply incapable of running in GBA mode despite having its processor, but since the 3DS can do that, this software has pretty much rendered gbarunner2 obsolete on the 3DS.

Rya687

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I downloaded the latest update off the universal updater a week ago. Had no other huge issues with homebrew so far. Its very frustrating because its such a decent homebrew held back by some very small but crucial user functionality that is missing.

It would be very helpful to repurpose the 3D slider and make it function like the original GBA brightness sider while the homebrew is running. They are the same mechanism after all and this is one of the better choices for GBA on the system. Every other emulator has weird graphics bugs that I have never seen before in the entire history of GBA emulation. Not even on the DS itself was there ever a graphics bug where half the screen gets taken up by garbage lines at seemingly random.
I agree that it would make a lot of sense to use the 3D slider for this, but like I said, implementing that is likely a lot more complicated than an INI setting.

And the reason why this has much better accuracy than GBA emulators for the 3DS is because it isn't an emulator at all. It runs the games natively using the GBA's actual processor, which is still a part of the 3DS.

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using the 3D slider to control the brightness doesn't solve anything, since there are many O2DS and N2DS systems out there that have no 3D slider. Even if profi spent time adding that feature, a method for adjusting the brightness on 2DS systems still has to exist, so it's probably a better use of time to have a method that works on every system.

mitrium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Wow, you sound like you know a lot; why don't you go ahead and do it yourself? :rofl2:
What a spoiled kid...

And there is actually a WAY of modifying the config.ini values from the console itself; just boot on GodMode9, go to the file location and edit it with the included Hex editor.
I do it all the time to change brightness and scaling settings and it only take seconds to do so.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: These cotton candy grapes be pretty addictive