• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

OBAMA IS PRESIDENT!

RebelX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I almost got killed today. There was this GIANT riot in the cafeteria. I was also threatened. That's what I get for being a democrat in what is probably the reddest state in the universe, South Carolina.

I need to move out of this dump...

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't follow this US election so want to ask why those who think Obama is going to be the one to change the world think that? What exactly has he done that makes people so confident? Is it just his public speaking or has he actually done something spectacular for the American government/people?

RebelX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
I didn't follow this US election so want to ask why those who think Obama is going to be the one to change the world think that? What exactly has he done that makes people so confident? Is it just his public speaking or has he actually done something spectacular for the American government/people?
He hasn't really done anything. However, he is going to do something when he is president. I'm glad he is president...

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think he'll change anything but that's just my opinion.
smile.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
RebelX said:
TrolleyDave said:
He hasn't really done anything. However, he is going to do something when he is president. I'm glad he is president...

What makes you so certain that he's going to be any different then most other presidents though? That's why I was asking if he'd actually done anything to instill this confidene. Is it simply the things he said that have given people this confidence or is it past actions? I know he's kind of come from out of nowhere but was he heavily involved in things before running for president?

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
he hasnt' done anything I never heard of him as a senator of Il and I live near chicago.Also I just got 300 posts.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
TrolleyDave said:
RebelX said:
TrolleyDave said:

What makes you so certain that he's going to be any different then most other presidents though? That's why I was asking if he'd actually done anything to instill this confidene. Is it simply the things he said that have given people this confidence or is it past actions? I know he's kind of come from out of nowhere but was he heavily involved in things before running for president?

Every President in the last half century has been a disappointment pretty much, the last great one was JFK, he genuinely wanted to change things for the better, and look what happened.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
I didn't follow this US election so want to ask why those who think Obama is going to be the one to change the world think that?
He said he would, and that seems to be good enough for some people.

After 8 years of bush, I think a lot of people just voted "not republican".

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Destructobot said:
TrolleyDave said:
I didn't follow this US election so want to ask why those who think Obama is going to be the one to change the world think that?

Sounds similar to when people voted out the Conservatives here then. It wasn't that Labour was a much better choice, it was more a case of they weren't the Tories.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
TrolleyDave said:
Destructobot said:
TrolleyDave said:

Sounds similar to when people voted out the Conservatives here then. It wasn't that Labour was a much better choice, it was more a case of they weren't the Tories.

Thats the problem of the two party system, when you think about it its not genuine democracy!

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Any modern form of a government is a moderate dictatorship. You have very little say in anything apart from who's telling you how things will be. There's few governments that actually listen to the people they represent.

CCNaru

Warn-free Since 2005
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
kevenka said:
Well, thing is, how obama become president ticks me off...not the fact that he is. The race should've been closer b/c mccain was a very strong candidate; he knows of security, he has experience, and he knows how to fix the economy way better than obama. If either was to become president, change was definitely going to occur in our country of turmoil. It will either get better or worse but either president was going to make a difference. I just can't repeat my frustration... why the hell did we chose a man who isn't as well equipped to become our commander in chief? Sincerity and good public speaking isn't what the white house needs but a good leader, and most leaders need experienced. Obama = too young and has done little to actually make change within the country before his run for presidency.

It's because of Bush. 1st/top reason why he would have been elected is pretty much because "we've had enough of Bush" - which Obama constantly reminded the speech listeners throughout his rallies. too bad the people didn't realize Bush and McCain is NOT a same person - McCain's attempts were pretty futile, because just being in the same party deterred people.

QUOTEAny modern form of a government is a moderate dictatorship. You have very little say in anything apart from who's telling you how things will be. There's few governments that actually listen to the people they represent.

Electoral College; nuff said.

in other news, check out the ballot measures: no gay marriages in any of the states, even california, and medical marijuana (uh...where) legalized and stem cell legalized in Michigan.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
RebelX said:
Yeah, I almost got killed today. There was this GIANT riot in the cafeteria. I was also threatened. That's what I get for being a democrat in what is probably the reddest state in the universe, South Carolina.

I need to move out of this dump...
Almost everyone here is happy, our country has 70% voted for Obama.
gbasp.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
CCNaru said:
QUOTE said:
Any modern form of a government is a moderate dictatorship. You have very little say in anything apart from who's telling you how things will be. There's few governments that actually listen to the people they represent.

Electoral College; nuff said.

I got kicked out of school before learning about any of that stuff. Have I read it right, you guys don't actually vote for the president what you're actually voting on is the guy you want to pick the president (putting it very streamlined!)?

superdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
there was four people that you could vote for Mccain, Obama, Linkiboy and P1ngpong but in very very small letters was: note: If vote for Linkiboy or P1ngpong you have to draw a gbatemp sign in the box.
most people that were voting didn't want to waste there time drawing so you 2 got voted for not being president i blame... science for being science also for not hold up rallies to tell people how to draw the gbatemp sign in 5 seconds

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
I got kicked out of school before learning about any of that stuff. Have I read it right, you guys don't actually vote for the president what you're actually voting on is the guy you want to pick the president (putting it very streamlined!)?
Basically, each state vas a certain number of electoral votes (538 total for the nation), and in most states all of those votes go to the guy that gets the majority vote in that state. This can lead to situations where a president can be elected with a majority of electoral votes when the other candidate actually had more popular votes. It also means that if you didn't vote with the majority in your state your vote isn't counted at all nationally.

Good system.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
TrolleyDave said:
Basically, each state vas a certain number of electoral votes (538 total for the nation), and in most states all of those votes go to the guy that gets the majority vote in that state. This can lead to situations where a president can be elected with a majority of electoral votes when the other candidate actually had more popular votes. It also means that if you didn't vote with the majority in your state your vote isn't counted at all nationally.

Good system.
Yeah that's the electoral college. Not a good system because it's the reason why we had Bush in 2000.
But the reason for it is to prevent what our founding fathers called the "Tyranny of the Majority." Basically, this gives a chance for the minority voice to win once in a while.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Destructobot said:
TrolleyDave said:

Good system.
What's the point of voting then when your vote doesn't actually count, and instead it's some other higher-up persons?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...