Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

SamrajSinghAujla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
If i have usb loader gx, and the retail copy of brawl, can i copy the game onto a usb? also do i have to install any cios or anything to make brawl work that way?

I saw a video of a guy on youtube who did it with wii sports, does it work with brawl? do i have to install other things as well? will the cover show or do i have to download the covers and put them on sd card?

1:27 of this video is what im talking about , will it work fine with brawl?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwZlnVk446o

also when i use usb loader gx, it only loads up when i plug my sd card reader with sd card in it into the wii, it doesnt work when i put in the sd card into the sd card slot, is there anyway to make it work like that?

_acid_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i have usb loader gx, and the retail copy of brawl, can i copy the game onto a usb? also do i have to install any cios or anything to make brawl work that way?

I saw a video of a guy on youtube who did it with wii sports, does it work with brawl? do i have to install other things as well? will the cover show or do i have to download the covers and put them on sd card?

1:27 of this video is what im talking about , will it work fine with brawl?

also when i use usb loader gx, it only loads up when i plug my sd card reader with sd card in it into the wii, it doesnt work when i put in the sd card into the sd card slot, is there anyway to make it work like that?

yes u can copy it, i dont think theres any need 4 u to install another cios though
dunno about covers though; i use cfg

cant help with ur sd card question though

SamrajSinghAujla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
okay so i got the game working with usb loader gx, i wanted to download a cover but i get an error where it cant create the directory, should i make the folders myself? also i did make sure that my sd card is unlocked

am i supposed to create folders on my sd card to make this work?

and yeah for now im using my sd card reader to plug into the usb slot for usb loader gx, but if its possible i would like to just put my sd card into the sd card slot

another question i have is, how can i copy gamecube saves onto my wii, i tried using the gamecube save thing i downloaded off the homebrew channel, but my problem was that i had an sdhc card not an sd card so it wouldnt work, I want to get the save data for battle stadium don, cuz its like impossible to unlock all the characters and stages, could i maybe do it by using my sd card reader to make it a usb? or any other methods, dont wanna get a whole new sd card just for this

DazedAndWiifused

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need some help. I have been trying to soft mod a Wii I purchased used (3.4U) from someone through Craigslist so I have no idea what was done to the Wii previously. I am using a tutorial written by zzk2001 from You Tube and the attached files for that tutorial I tracked down. It was not modded when I recieved it. I have successfully installed the HBC, DVDX, and Bootmii. I tried to install the WADs that were also in the information I found on line. There are two WADs (IOS 50 and IOS 60-patched) that I am unable to install and receive an ERROR = -2011 message with those two WADs. I tried to install cIOS 38 rev 14 and get a custom IOS failed to complete message.I tried to install CIOS corp v 3.3 and recieve a "please instal cIOS rev 37".message. Basically, I have no idea where I went wrong or what was done to the Wii before I purchased it that is causing the problem. I would really appreciate anyones help.

Overwhelming

Trophies
XP
Country
I've softmoded my 4.3E Wii using the letterbomb method. Then procedded with the instructions of ModMii, which included installing the homebrew channel, usb loader a bunch of wads, etc.

I've downloaded a VC or WiiWare game (Final Fantasy 4), and since it's in WAD format, I've placed it in my SD card in the wad folder, went to MMM to install the wad. It created a channel but when I try to start the game, an error message appears saying I can't play this game. Is there something I must do before I'm able to install VC/WiiiWare games? Do I need to patch the files? Or maybe install something on my Wii? Please, help.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I recently changed my usb cfg loader setup, I reinstalled ios236, installed d2x, and then reinstalled usb cfg loader. I forget what was in place before d2x. Since than I have had the wii freezing on me at odd times (like on the channel selection screen) and some games such as Harvest Moon: Animal Parade will freeze completely when loading something (like when I tell it to load a save or after a cut scene) at which point I have to unplug the power from the wii since nothing else to turn it off. I was wondering if anyone could suggest what I could do to resolve my problems?
Try to use a different usb loader, and don't force games to run on any IOS.
Another potentially helpful note: If you hold down the power button for like 5 seconds it will always turn off your Wii. It might be easier than unplugging it depending on how accessible your plug is and it will probably be nicer to you're Wii.
adding to what [member='compmonkeyg'] said, some games run better when the cIOS they use has different IOS bases. If you're only gonna install d2x on 249 and 250, for example, I would suggest putting base 56 and base 57 on them respectively. (see the "wiki" link in my signature for more cIOS installation suggestions.)
(And just a reminder to have NO gamecube accessories connected while installing. For some reason that can really screw things up.).

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
ok, just trying to get a completely safe answer on this, since my research seems to have conflicting answers.

NTSC-U Wii, and a PAL game. can I run it, assuming I force NTSC on it? I've read that it'll brick my Wii, and I've also read that it's fine, as long as I don't put an PAL update on my NTSC Wii...
There's no need to change the wii from NTSC to PAL or visa versa. No need to take that risk. You can open the imported game with GeckoOS (From the Homebrew Browser) or you can install Priiloader and install a hacks.ini file to make it "region free everything".

Edit : See my post to [member='Overwhelming'] here about 2 posts down on the screen for Priiloader details. (Just that if you have an older version 3.X system menu would have to use the Priiloader hacks from ModMii. In that case just don't do the "use classic hacks.ini" step.).

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need some help. I have been trying to soft mod a Wii I purchased used (3.4U) from someone through Craigslist so I have no idea what was done to the Wii previously. I am using a tutorial written by zzk2001 from You Tube and the attached files for that tutorial I tracked down. It was not modded when I recieved it. I have successfully installed the HBC, DVDX, and Bootmii. I tried to install the WADs that were also in the information I found on line. There are two WADs (IOS 50 and IOS 60-patched) that I am unable to install and receive an ERROR = -2011 message with those two WADs. I tried to install cIOS 38 rev 14 and get a custom IOS failed to complete message.I tried to install CIOS corp v 3.3 and recieve a "please instal cIOS rev 37".message. Basically, I have no idea where I went wrong or what was done to the Wii before I purchased it that is causing the problem. I would really appreciate anyones help.

you're using a super outdated guide from youtube...thats bound to give you fail. please format your sd card, then download modmii to your pc and follow the instructions it gives you http://modmii.zzl.org/

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I've softmoded my 4.3E Wii using the letterbomb method. Then procedded with the instructions of ModMii, which included installing the homebrew channel, usb loader a bunch of wads, etc.

I've downloaded a VC or WiiWare game (Final Fantasy 4), and since it's in WAD format, I've placed it in my SD card in the wad folder, went to MMM to install the wad. It created a channel but when I try to start the game, an error message appears saying I can't play this game. Is there something I must do before I'm able to install VC/WiiiWare games? Do I need to patch the files? Or maybe install something on my Wii? Please, help.
I think it's one of two things:
1. You downloaded a different region game than your wii is (a NTSC game on a PAL wii in your case.)
2. The game was not signed properly and you need the system menu running on a patched IOS.

solutions:
1. First, Install cIOS236 (ModMii download page 1) and then Priiloader (downloads page 2). Now, put the hacks.ini file in the "/apps/priiloader" folder in your SD card and hold down the "reset" button when the Wii's starting up to load the Priiloader menu. In "settings" change the "use classic hacks.ini" to "on" and "save settings" near the bottom. Go back to the main priiloader menu and "load/install file" then go to "system menu hacks." There, enable "region free everything" and any other hacks you want in the system menu (I particularly recommend blocking all updates) and go to "save settings."
2. With ModMii get and install the IOS80-Patched on download page 1. (IOS80 is the one 4.3 runs off of.)

SalvadorOliveira

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
ok, just trying to get a completely safe answer on this, since my research seems to have conflicting answers.

NTSC-U Wii, and a PAL game. can I run it, assuming I force NTSC on it? I've read that it'll brick my Wii, and I've also read that it's fine, as long as I don't put an PAL update on my NTSC Wii...
There's no need to change the wii from NTSC to PAL or visa versa. No need to take that risk. You can open the imported game with GeckoOS (From the Homebrew Browser) or you can install Priiloader and install a hacks.ini file to make it "region free everything".

Edit : See my post to [member='Overwhelming'] here about 2 posts down on the screen for Priiloader details. (Just that if you have an older version 3.X system menu would have to use the Priiloader hacks from ModMii. In that case just don't do the "use classic hacks.ini" step.).

compmonkeyg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently changed my usb cfg loader setup, I reinstalled ios236, installed d2x, and then reinstalled usb cfg loader. I forget what was in place before d2x. Since than I have had the wii freezing on me at odd times (like on the channel selection screen) and some games such as Harvest Moon: Animal Parade will freeze completely when loading something (like when I tell it to load a save or after a cut scene) at which point I have to unplug the power from the wii since nothing else to turn it off. I was wondering if anyone could suggest what I could do to resolve my problems?
Try to use a different usb loader, and don't force games to run on any IOS.
Another potentially helpful note: If you hold down the power button for like 5 seconds it will always turn off your Wii. It might be easier than unplugging it depending on how accessible your plug is and it will probably be nicer to you're Wii.
adding to what [member='compmonkeyg'] said, some games run better when the cIOS they use has different IOS bases. If you're only gonna install d2x on 249 and 250, for example, I would suggest putting base 56 and base 57 on them respectively. (see the "wiki" link in my signature for more cIOS installation suggestions.)
(And just a reminder to have NO gamecube accessories connected while installing. For some reason that can really screw things up.).
I will check out the link as you suggested, the guide I used here on GBA (I think) had me install to 257 and 258 on 56 and 17 respectively. I know that holding down the power button should turn it off, however when this freeze happens (has happened with other stuff randomly in the past) I can hold the power button down all day to no avail - have to yank the power (which is easily accessable).

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
but, just to clarify, I can't just run it as-is off my USB loader GX and force NTSC, right? I have to go through Gecko OS or do this hacks.ini thing?
Actually, that would be the easiest. Yes, that would work, too. I just thought you were looking to run it from the system menu directly or something. USBLoaderGX is like a really spiffed up GeckoOS.

Black_Knight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Long story short, my Disk Drive died on me and I got a shitload of legitimate purchases tied to the Wii. My homebrew is pretty screwed up, in which I half the exploits like the trucha bug doesn't work so I can't use WAD files. Strongly considering just biting the bullet and sending into Nintendo Support to get repaired, but want to at least make my Wii look semi respectable. (I haven't pirated anything, but a hacked wii is a hacked wii.)

So what's the best process to make my Wii virgin again? I've seen a few in google searches, but I want to do a trust but verify process so I don't end up making the situation worse. I'm definitely going to have to downgrade too since I got ver 4.3 Waka as well. (That's just an eyesore)

I could send it to a local repair shop, but I'd still have a half working homebrew, so I'm only going to do that if Nintendo rejects my Wii.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Long story short, my Disk Drive died on me and I got a shitload of legitimate purchases tied to the Wii. My homebrew is pretty screwed up, in which I half the exploits like the trucha bug doesn't work so I can't use WAD files. Strongly considering just biting the bullet and sending into Nintendo Support to get repaired, but want to at least make my Wii look semi respectable. (I haven't pirated anything, but a hacked wii is a hacked wii.)

So what's the best process to make my Wii virgin again? I've seen a few in google searches, but I want to do a trust but verify process so I don't end up making the situation worse. I'm definitely going to have to downgrade too since I got ver 4.3 Waka as well. (That's just an eyesore)

I could send it to a local repair shop, but I'd still have a half working homebrew, so I'm only going to do that if Nintendo rejects my Wii.
I don't know about that. It might depend on exactly how hacked up the your software actually is. One way or another I personally would be pretty wary about sending my wii back to Nintendo. I haven't actually read over the warranty agreement but I'd be too scared that they would be able to see some little evidence that it had once been hacked and just not give the Wii back.

One way or another, if a lot of homebrew doesn't work, to be sure whatever you use to remove hacks actually WORKS, you might want to get your homebrew back up and running first.
As far as what to use to do it manually, the programs you use to do them are dangerous if you don't know what you're doing (could brick it) so be careful but AnyTitleDeleter can remove things AND remove their ticket so it would (I think) not leave any evidence behind for those. DOP-Mii can reinstall original IOS's, including the stubs and can reinstall a clean version of the system menu for you, even 4.3 if you so prefer.

If you had previously actually deleted anything that you had installed through homebrew, you might still have a ticket left behind that Nintendo could find if it wasn't deleted the right way. I don't know if it would be best to reinstall and then delete it again but just be careful not to delete anything that's supposed to be there. CAREFUL.

Maybe someone else could answer if there's any homebrew app that's actually designed to do this.

Edit: actually, some other tools that could help your process (still use carefully - it's recommended that you have bootMii as boot2 just in case) http://wiisixtyfour.webs.com/apps/blog/show/6995299-giantpune-s-wii-nand-tools

Black_Knight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The good news is, they can't legally take it from me even if it's hacked and the warranty void. The Wii isn't Steam DRM where you're just leasing it from Nintendo.

I'm going to make a list of what programs still work, I know it really started up during the 4.3 update, and the trucha bug put me in a vicious cycle where I kept going through to channels to get it fixed but they both kept saying I needed something from the other channel first.

Also read I should delete all the ios that are 200 or higher, is this true?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
kinda ... it's one of the last things you should do since some homebrew you might be using might use some of them but there are two things:
1. Delete anything 200 or higher.
2. Put the official IOS stubs 200 or higher back. They were put there to get rid of some of the homebrew ones so your homebrew apps wouldn't work. Nintendo expects those to be there still.

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kinda ... it's one of the last things you should do since some homebrew you might be using might use some of them but there are two things:
1. Delete anything 200 or higher.
2. Put the official IOS stubs 200 or higher back. They were put there to get rid of some of the homebrew ones so your homebrew apps wouldn't work. Nintendo expects those to be there still.
No reason to add back the stubs. All they do is SIT there, and if any application uses them, chaos occurs (except for MMMv13.4 [?!?!?]). Plus, they create hassle if you somehow need the cIOS's back.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
No reason to add back the stubs. All they do is SIT there, and if any application uses them, chaos occurs (except for MMMv13.4 [?!?!?]). Plus, they create hassle if you somehow need the cIOS's back.
The thing is he wants his Wii to LOOK like it's never been touched. There's no way a average user can remove stubs without a little bannerbomb magic so Nintendo might notice that when he sends it in for warranty work.

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is he wants his Wii to LOOK like it's never been touched. There's no way a average user can remove stubs without a little bannerbomb magic so Nintendo might notice that when he sends it in for warranty work.
Oh. K then sure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea? trying to...