Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

jskyboo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ryoku83 said:
I think your misunderstanding something. I could be wrong but im sure if you have a Korean SM and Korean IOS files you won't Brick upgrading that would just be stupid. What he meant is if you have a korean wii region changed to NTSC and then you update (which would install IOS70 or 80 US version) would brick your wii. By installing IOS60 into slot 70 or 80 it wouldnt get overwritten and your wii would avoid the brick.I think you're misunderstanding something, there aren't region specific IOS versions. 4.2k and 4.1u both use IOS 70 version 6687. But yes I did miss how the conversation started with someone who had region changed their wii.

QUOTE(JoostinOnline @ Sep 3 2011, 08:53 PM) That's what I meant, sorry I wasn't clear on that.

I still remember when 4.2 was released and the flood of people reporting that their region changed Korean Wii's were bricked.

Even now it is a problem because people don't realize they own Korean Wii's. In Asia lots of shops sell Wii's that are region changed Korean Wii's. They swap the case out with one from another Wii so the serial number shows another region.
So you were talking about Error 003? Is there not some patch that can be applied to fix that? It just seems like something that we should be able to get around.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
jskyboo said:
Ryoku83 said:
I think your misunderstanding something. I could be wrong but im sure if you have a Korean SM and Korean IOS files you won't Brick upgrading that would just be stupid. What he meant is if you have a korean wii region changed to NTSC and then you update (which would install IOS70 or 80 US version) would brick your wii. By installing IOS60 into slot 70 or 80 it wouldnt get overwritten and your wii would avoid the brick.I think you're misunderstanding something, there aren't region specific IOS versions. 4.2k and 4.1u both use IOS 70 version 6687. But yes I did miss how the conversation started with someone who had region changed their wii.They check the SEEPROM for the korean key (or something like that) and if you have it, but not a Korean System Menu, you get the 003 error. Using IOS60 instead of IOS70/80 (or just not being stupid enough to update past 4.1) will prevent the brick.

jskyboo said:
QUOTE(JoostinOnline @ Sep 3 2011, 08:53 PM)
That's what I meant, sorry I wasn't clear on that.

I still remember when 4.2 was released and the flood of people reporting that their region changed Korean Wii's were bricked.

Even now it is a problem because people don't realize they own Korean Wii's. In Asia lots of shops sell Wii's that are region changed Korean Wii's. They swap the case out with one from another Wii so the serial number shows another region.
So you were talking about Error 003? Is there not some patch that can be applied to fix that? It just seems like something that we should be able to get around.
Yeah, it's using IOS60.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I just got my ISO'S running and working off my USB but, Now when I play LCBT (Links crossbow training.) It wont let my second wiimote sync up even when its got the nunchuck and batteries so it HAS to be an issue with the wii and ISO. So are ISOs not able to do multiplay or is there somthing else I need to do. Also, My wiis running the latest frimware and its ruining the most recent update of Config, USB loader.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zantigo said:
Well, I just got my ISO'S running and working off my USB but, Now when I play LCBT (Links crossbow training.) It wont let my second wiimote sync up even when its got the nunchuck and batteries so it HAS to be an issue with the wii and ISO. So are ISOs not able to do multiplay or is there somthing else I need to do. Also, My wiis running the latest frimware and its ruining the most recent update of Config, USB loader.
Some games do that... For me I have to keep trying from different places....
BTW Should I spawn a Ghast in your house?

jskyboo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline said:
They check the SEEPROM for the korean key (or something like that) and if you have it, but not a Korean System Menu, you get the 003 error. Using IOS60 instead of IOS70/80 (or just not being stupid enough to update past 4.1) will prevent the brick.

Yeah, it's using IOS60.
Alright I did some digging and http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Error_003 lead me to believe this would be something that should be fixable with an IOS patch, and in Wii Mod I have a korean key patch lying around. I thought it was for allowing to play korean games or something to that extent but if http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=183063 is correct then if that patch is applied to IOS 70 or IOS 80 then 003 happens. But if you had a clean IOS that did NOT have the patch then you would not get the error.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Krestent said:
Zantigo said:
What do you mean by different places? Also, I wouldnt mind but my friends gonna rage, But if you could do it while were on that would e pretty exciting :3, BTW didnt you turn off the nether?

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zantigo said:
Krestent said:
Zantigo said:
What do you mean by different places? Also, I wouldnt mind but my friends gonna rage, But if you could do it while were on that would e pretty exciting :3, BTW didnt you turn off the nether?
Like from the HOME menu or from the connection screen within the game.

And I turned the nether back on.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
jskyboo said:
JoostinOnline said:
They check the SEEPROM for the korean key (or something like that) and if you have it, but not a Korean System Menu, you get the 003 error. Using IOS60 instead of IOS70/80 (or just not being stupid enough to update past 4.1) will prevent the brick.

Yeah, it's using IOS60.
Alright I did some digging and http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Error_003 lead me to believe this would be something that should be fixable with an IOS patch, and in Wii Mod I have a korean key patch lying around. I thought it was for allowing to play korean games or something to that extent but if http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=183063 is correct then if that patch is applied to IOS 70 or IOS 80 it should be safe to use 4.2 or 4.3. Once again I don't have a Korean Wii so I don't know for sure but that's what it looks like to me.
There is no point. We already have a work around by using IOS60 instead. Testing your theory could brick someone's Wii. Besides, most everybody knows that there is no reason to update past 4.1.

IOS60 is sort of like a universal SM IOS. Old Wii's that would normally brick if you downgraded to 3.3 or below will still work if you install IOS60 into slot 11/20/30.

I always suggest people use 4.1 because it is safer and has no downsides. Unfortunately, some people are so set on "newer is always better" that they don't care if updating puts others at risk and will strongly suggest 4.2/4.3.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Krestent said:
Zantigo said:
Krestent said:
Zantigo said:
Like from the HOME menu or from the connection screen within the game.

And I turned the nether back on.
Wow, Im such an idiot, LCBT doesnt have simultaneous multiplay XD

jskyboo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline said:
There is no point. We already have a work around by using IOS60 instead. Testing your theory could brick someone's Wii. Besides, most everybody knows that there is no reason to update past 4.1.

IOS60 is sort of like a universal SM IOS. Old Wii's that would normally brick if you downgraded to 3.3 or below will still work if you install IOS60 into slot 11/20/30.

I always suggest people use 4.1 because it is safer and has no downsides. Unfortunately, some people are so set on "newer is always better" that they don't care if updating puts others at risk and will strongly suggest 4.2/4.3.
Scratch that its the reverse "if that patch is applied to IOS 70 or IOS 80 then 003 happens. But if you had a clean IOS that did NOT have the patch then you would not get the error." You mean new wiis that go below 3.3. I don't say newer is better, in fact there is only homebrew block added in 4.2 and 4.3 I just think its easier to get around the blocks Nintendo puts in and move along otherwise you end up like the people who are still running 3.2 on their Wiis.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
jskyboo said:
Scratch that its the reverse "if that patch is applied to IOS 70 or IOS 80 then 003 happens. But if you had a clean IOS that did NOT have the patch then you would not get the error." You mean new wiis that go below 3.3. I don't say newer is better, in fact there is only homebrew block added in 4.2 and 4.3 I just think its easier to get around the blocks Nintendo puts in and move along otherwise you end up like the people who are still running 3.2 on their Wiis.
I wasn't suggesting you were one of those people, just that I have come across them.

A clean IOS70/80 on a region changed Korean Wii WILL cause a 003 error.

There is no reason to "move along." I know there are a few people who prefer to use 3.2, but that is completely different from using 4.1. With 3.2 you don't get the latest features. With 4.1 you get the latest features and bugfixes without the limitations/risks of 4.2+. People stick with 4.1 because they want the best and safest setup.

jskyboo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline said:
I wasn't suggesting you were one of those people, just that I have come across them.

There is no reason to "move along." I know there are a few people who prefer to use 3.2, but that is completely different from using 4.1. With 3.2 you don't get the latest features. With 4.1 you get the latest features and bugfixes without the limitations/risks of 4.2+. People stick with 4.1 because they want the best and safest setup.
There isn't yet but if Nintendo releases a new system menu before the Wii U comes out we may have a reason, like maybe when the new zelda comes out. I just think the error is worth understanding and finding a way around it for good. I wonder if there is way to get one of these Korean Wiis, I don't suppose many websites have them available.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
jskyboo said:
JoostinOnline said:

There isn't yet but if Nintendo releases a new system menu before the Wii U comes out we may have a reason, like maybe when the new zelda comes out. I just think the error is worth understanding and finding a way around it for good. I wonder if there is way to get one of these Korean Wiis, I don't suppose many websites have them available.
Finding a way around it will always involve some sort of patching, so you might as well stick with IOS60.

If a new menu is released, I doubt it will have any new features. The past few years Nintendo has done nothing but try and kill homebrew, so I doubt they will change their attitude at the end of the Wii's life.

jskyboo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline said:
Finding a way around it will always involve some sort of patching, so you might as well stick with IOS60.Well yeah, I expected that, but I still would like to find the way of staying with the original IOS the system menu was meant to use and patch it so that it doesn't 003. I know that 70 is not much of a change from 60 and 80 not much of a change from 70 but we really don't know all that is changed. Some of it might cause minor errors, who knows maybe nothing at all.

QUOTE(JoostinOnline @ Sep 4 2011, 12:56 AM) If a new menu is released, I doubt it will have any new features. The past few years Nintendo has done nothing but try and kill homebrew, so I doubt they will change their attitude at the end of the Wii's life.
You are more than likely right but I still wouldn't mind getting a Korean Wii if I could find one and messing around with it to see how to avoid the 003 error, without using 60 in place of 70/80. If anyone knows where I could get one pm me.

@ZiggyStardog Sorry no one has addressed your post yet. I would recommend option 2, hack the black wii and use it to dump your games to usb. Then if you want to use the white as your primary just move the usb drive over to the white. I know you said you would rather keep the black pristine but who do you want to fool just others using it cause if so you can always remove anything they would be able to see like HBC, but it is highly recommended that you do NOT try to revirginize it. You won't be able to fool nintendo so its better to leave most of the hacks in place but hide what others can easily see. Option 2 is just way easier than option 1 so why replace the dvd drive if you don't have to, you already have the other wii. If you didn't already have a second wii maybe it would be a different discussion. Option 3 isn't bad but still why buy another dvd drive when you don't have to.

ZiggyStardog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jskyboo said:
@ZiggyStardog Sorry no one has addressed your post yet. I would recommend option 2, hack the black wii and use it to dump your games to usb. Then if you want to use the white as your primary just move the usb drive over to the white. I know you said you would rather keep the black pristine but who do you want to fool just others using it cause if so you can always remove anything they would be able to see like HBC, but it is highly recommended that you do NOT try to revirginize it. You won't be able to fool nintendo so its better to leave most of the hacks in place but hide what others can easily see. Option 2 is just way easier than option 1 so why replace the dvd drive if you don't have to, you already have the other wii. If you didn't already have a second wii maybe it would be a different discussion. Option 3 isn't bad but still why buy another dvd drive when you don't have to.

Thanks for the reply, I was beginning to think I was too noob for school...

Motives for leaving the black one intact are to keep from tying it up dumping when others might want to use it, and confusing them with the HBC etc, and risking putting the Wii in harms way with its tools in their hands. When I'm talking about hiding HBC, it's not from Nintendo. I didn't even consider re-virginizing, I can tell that that's likely a losing game.

There's also a warranty period to consider, but I suppose with two Wiis in-house I should be able to swap parts between them and get something running if disaster strikes.

It seems the black Wii's honor now hangs on how long it might take to dump what I have natively v.s. using an LG drive on a PC, and how best to hide hacks from the curious. I hear talk of native dumps taking 4 minutes or so, while dumps on a PC with an LG drive taking over 3 hours. I just don't know which if any of these numbers I should believe. I'm thinking even if I went for option #4, it might take even longer than option #3 to find the titles etc, even using the 3 hours per backup number. I haven't counted, but I guess I have between 40-50 titles-- although I might not want to archive them all.

As for the rest of my questions, I think I answered many myself after hunting around and running ModMii on a virtual Windows machine.

I see people use USB loaders with flash drives, not sure about USB DVD drives. I suppose there's a limited set of people with USB DVD drives, and if you need to buy something to archive to, it may as well be a hard drive. I can see scenarios where you might want to dump directly to a USB DVD burner if you could, to read on systems that can't read burned disks. (I realize that's not remotely possible with existing software, but it might be a fun hack). And I did some math and I think transfer speeds would make hosting ISO's and such on a remote server impractical. I'm guessing it would take 5-10 minutes to transfer the average game ISO even with a headwind.

Any pointers to more definitive DVD hardware information might help #1 and #2, if I go that route. I'm finding many of the cheaper DVD solutions are rebranded OEM drives, and Googling points to newbies prattling amongst themselves.

Thanks again for your help.

jskyboo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ZiggyStardog said:
Thanks for the reply, I was beginning to think I was too noob for school...

Motives for leaving the black one intact are to keep from tying it up dumping when others might want to use it, and confusing them with the HBC etc, and risking putting the Wii in harms way with its tools in their hands. When I'm talking about hiding HBC, it's not from Nintendo. I didn't even consider re-virginizing, I can tell that that's likely a losing game.

There's also a warranty period to consider, but I suppose with two Wiis in-house I should be able to swap parts between them and get something running if disaster strikes.

It seems the black Wii's honor now hangs on how long it might take to dump what I have natively v.s. using an LG drive on a PC, and how best to hide hacks from the curious. I hear talk of native dumps taking 4 minutes or so, while dumps on a PC with an LG drive taking over 3 hours. I just don't know which if any of these numbers I should believe. I'm thinking even if I went for option #4, it might take even longer than option #3 to find the titles etc, even using the 3 hours per backup number. I haven't counted, but I guess I have between 40-50 titles-- although I might not want to archive them all.

As for the rest of my questions, I think I answered many myself after hunting around and running ModMii on a virtual Windows machine.

I see people use USB loaders with flash drives, not sure about USB DVD drives. I suppose there's a limited set of people with USB DVD drives, and if you need to buy something to archive to, it may as well be a hard drive. I can see scenarios where you might want to dump directly to a USB DVD burner if you could, to read on systems that can't read burned disks. (I realize that's not remotely possible with existing software, but it might be a fun hack). And I did some math and I think transfer speeds would make hosting ISO's and such on a remote server impractical. I'm guessing it would take 5-10 minutes to transfer the average game ISO even with a headwind.

Any pointers to more definitive DVD hardware information might help #1 and #2, if I go that route. I'm finding many of the cheaper DVD solutions are rebranded OEM drives, and Googling points to newbies prattling amongst themselves.

Thanks again for your help.
The dumping time varies from game to game, on the Wii the average game will take about 4 mins, some smaller games like Wii Play take about 1 min or so and bigger DL games like smash take 7-8mins. I don't really know about with an LG drive on a PC but for the wii the times you heard were accurate. We won't be talking about option 4. If you are worried about taking up the Wii while you do it I guess you will just have to wait until others are sleeping. I think you are a little confused though. When we are talking about dumping to USB we mean to a USB HD not DVD drive. That I'm pretty sure is not supported.

ZiggyStardog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jskyboo said:
The dumping time varies from game to game, on the Wii the average game will take about 4 mins, some smaller games like Wii Play take about 1 min or so and bigger DL games like smash take 7-8mins. I don't really know about with an LG drive on a PC but for the wii the times you heard were accurate. We won't be talking about option 4. If you are worried about taking up the Wii while you do it I guess you will just have to wait until others are sleeping. I think you are a little confused though. When we are talking about dumping to USB we mean to a USB HD not DVD drive. That I'm pretty sure is not supported.
Thanks for the info. The talk about usb DVD drives was more curiosity and exploring possibilities than anything else-- it wasn't much related to the immediate problem, but hacks in general and thinking about the logistics of drive swapping. It's just that I have a usb DVD burner lying around that I could dedicate to this, but I'd have to do some shuffling to free up a dedicated external hard drive. To test a USB flash drive would be less of a hassle for me to free up, so I'll probably use one for experimenting first.

With these speeds, dumping overnight seems most feasible on the Wii. There's a big difference in a few minutes per title and several hours. I guess interest in PC dumping dried up when native dumps came along, and now decent recent information on the DVD drives is tough to find-- it all seems pretty stale.

So my next step is to figure out how best to hide/secure HBC on the black Wii. It looks like you can set up locked apps folders once you are in HBC, and there are ways to hide the icon for it so I'll try playing around with these next. I'm just afraid I'll forget and leave a SD card in the thing after a late-night session. I don't suppose there's anything that will kill HB apps after a screensaver timeout and send you back to the Wii menu.

Thanks for your help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    hazbeans @ hazbeans: everyone knows that (they didnt for like 30 years)