Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

Sm0e

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am currently running 4.2u on my wii, and am able to run the homebrew channel, no bugs. Am I still able to use wads and run apps that are from older versions of homebrew? Wads I am very skeptical of, but apps are a different question all together. I have heard of Gecko OS 1.9.2> not working, it this true of other applications, such as Wii64? Also, can I still run backups of games via USB drive? One last question, if I have bootmii or homebrew channel and download something off of wiiware or virtual console, will it cause a brick. If you can provide an answer to any of these questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
execdec said:
The only thing I have close to that is: After game is downloaded, I select game, then go into settings. On page 1 of settings I have a DOL variable, which I can chanhe from main.dol to game.dol (only two options). Is that what you are refering to?

QUOTE said:
Yep ! Just use game.dol !

Seems to work good, thanks! Have you got a similar tip for splinter cell double agent? I tried changing the same thing, it loaded a bit further but locked up again. Thanks!
No, that's one of the games that does not work on usb-loaders unfortunately.
frown.gif

Maybe it does work on disc, by IOSPatching the game to 249... Not sure about that one though.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
fryman94 said:
hello i'm a noob and i'm using for the first time a configurable usb loader with fat drives as default reading.

what i have is a 1gb usb drive with a fat 32 format. i have a wbfs folder with a 386 mb scrubbed iso inside. But when i boot configurable usb loader, it doesn't show the iso. so can someone tell me what i need to do to make the iso show?

You need to use Wii Backup Manager to convert the file to .wbfs

QUOTE(Sm0e @ Mar 8 2010, 03:17 AM) I am currently running 4.2u on my wii, and am able to run the homebrew channel, no bugs. Am I still able to use wads and run apps that are from older versions of homebrew? Wads I am very skeptical of, but apps are a different question all together. I have heard of Gecko OS 1.9.2> not working, it this true of other applications, such as Wii64? Also, can I still run backups of games via USB drive? One last question, if I have bootmii or homebrew channel and download something off of wiiware or virtual console, will it cause a brick. If you can provide an answer to any of these questions, it would be greatly appreciated.
The HBC is a loader; no homebrew is written in a special way to be used with it. Any homebrew works with any loader. Where did you hear of Gecko OS not working?
To run backups, you're going to need a cIOS, which will involve trucha-signing an existing IOS. You can download anything off the Shop Channel without a brick.

Whoelse37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any reason to upgrade from 4.1U to 4.2U... and if so are there any precautions that I should take when performing the upgrade on an already hacked wii (that has bootmii as boot 2)?

Thanks.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Whoelse37 said:
Is there any reason to upgrade from 4.1U to 4.2U... and if so are there any precautions that I should take when performing the upgrade on an already hacked wii (that has bootmii as boot 2)?

Thanks.
There isn't really a reason to update unless you want to have everything up-to-date

theoldlr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm following the Modify any Wii 4.2 and below guide, but when I get to the "installing homebrew channel & bootmii" step I encounter problems.

I've formatted the SD card per these instructions: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_setup#Par...ing_the_SD_card

The file structure of the SD card is like so using the update files obtained from simplisticmod:

Root
|
wad [folder]
|
apps [folder]
|
private [folder]
|
boot.elf

When I go to the SD card menu (direct from main screen of the wii system menu) there are ?s on the box and if I try to load it, it says, "This channel cannot be launched on this Wii console." Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Memino

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, I have a question. I have made backups of a few games on rev14 but I heard these will not work on rev18 or 19 do I need to rip them again or will they be fine? Also what is the best usb stick/harddrive for playing backups on the wii (i.e. the fastest one). Thankyou.

i.heart.piracy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way I can make a self-booting emulator disc for the Atari 2600 console? I'm playing a prank on my friend. I recently sold him my modded Wii and he asked me to burn a bunch of games for him, and what I'm going to do is burn him a handful of discs with just ET and Custer's Revenge on them as a joke.

Anybody know if a self-booting AtaWii disc is possible?

Thanks in advance.

meme6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I followed xzxero's guide to update my system to 4.2u.

Tried playing Super Mario on disc and got the "error". So I installed NeoGamma R8 beta17 and
I'm still getting that error (along with a warning about using rev13a or rev14).

So, how can I get Super Mario to work?

TIA

canniengui

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hi. I just recently got a Wi-fi connection and is testing out lots of things with it.

Just this afternoon I entered a Mario Kart competition from the Mario Kart Channel (the one from the Wii Menu). It asked me to put in the disc. I do so, and the next second I realized it was a backup disc. I removed the disc, went back to Wii Settings menu and found out that WiiConnect is off when I tried to access the User Agreements for WiiConnect24, it says WiiConnect and Wii Shop Channel is currently not offered, which I take it that Nintendo founds out about my Homebrew state. I quickly turn off my Internet connection just in case Nintendo has already slowly downloading a backup lock to my Wii (is that possible?). Now I don't even dare to surf the net with my Wii, which will be very inconvenient for me in the future.

So my questions is, can I still surf the net and play Wi-fi connectable games on my Wii or should I stop using them? I don't care much about losing WiiConnect24 at all. In fact, I never cared since day one. I just want to surf the net and play the games with my newly registered friends
frown.gif

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
canniengui said:
Hi. I just recently got a Wi-fi connection and is testing out lots of things with it.

Just this afternoon I entered a Mario Kart competition from the Mario Kart Channel (the one from the Wii Menu). It asked me to put in the disc. I do so, and the next second I realized it was a backup disc. I removed the disc, went back to Wii Settings menu and found out that WiiConnect is off when I tried to access the User Agreements for WiiConnect24, it says WiiConnect and Wii Shop Channel is currently not offered, which I take it that Nintendo founds out about my Homebrew state. I quickly turn off my Internet connection just in case Nintendo has already slowly downloading a backup lock to my Wii (is that possible?). Now I don't even dare to surf the net with my Wii, which will be very inconvenient for me in the future.

So my questions is, can I still surf the net and play Wi-fi connectable games on my Wii or should I stop using them? I don't care much about losing WiiConnect24 at all. In fact, I never cared since day one. I just want to surf the net and play the games with my newly registered friends
frown.gif
I have WiiConnect24 on and Standby Mode off.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
canniengui said:

frown.gif
did wiiconnect24 work before or has it never worked for you?
Nintendo doesn't ban people for having a homebrew enabled wii (not yet anyways). In fact the nintendo channel (which I sometimes use) sends your play history to nintendo when you start it (your play history would include homebrew channel and backup loaders and stuff) but nintendo hasn't done anything about it, so it's safe to use your wii like normal and browse the net.

canniengui

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Thanks for the response guys. I'm glad to hear that my Wii can go online safely. And a response to the question, yes, I was able to use WiiConnect24 since I got Wi-fi. Until the Mario Kart Channel incident that is. The user agreement that is supposed to show up no longer does, replaced with a 'feature not offered' message and returns me to the Wii Menu. What's up with that?

vic_rattlehead

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
Hi there everyone,

I just have a quick question and would appreciate any help.

Is it possible to update via Nintendo to 4.2E (officially)? Will the HBC still work, and what cIOS do I need before updating? Or am I completely missing the point and do I have to follow this guide? http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901 (Modify any Wii 4.2 or lower)

At the moment I'm running on 4.1E. Previously, I installed cIOS38_rev13a, then updated via Nintendo, then installed Startpatch for hacks and ran the IOS Downgrader. Since then I've had no problem using the USB Loader GX on 4.1. It works great.

Now I would like to update to 4.2 officially (via Nintendo) and I just wanted to check:

1) What cIOS do I need? If I install the correct cIOS, I should logically be able to update to 4.2 through my Wii and then follow the steps I mentioned above and still have the HBC and USB Loader work normally, right?

2) Do I need to have the latest update in order to play Red Steel 2?

Thanks for a clear answer! I really appreciate it.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Red Steel, like all other games, only requires that the IOS it calls for is up to date. I don't know which IOS that would be, but the point is irrelevant if you're using a cIOS-based disc/USB loader anyway, as far as I can tell.

And as long as you've got the newest HBC (1.0.6) it will survive the update to 4.2. IOS249 (cIOS) will be overwritten by a stub upon updating, but the backup IOS250 will not. So after updating use an ATD or something that can run from IOS250 to delete the stubs, then run the cIOSrev19 installer from IOS250. That ought to do the trick.

CAFlynn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like a total n00b posting this, as I've been softmodding Wiis very successfully for over a year...

To start:

I've got a softmodded Wii, running 4.2U.

I just got my Netflix disc, and ran it through the disc channel. Worked fine, but now I can't get my cursor/pointer to show up anymore. At first I thought my sensor bar broke, but I tried another and still no luck. The remote works fine otherwise - d-pad, buttons, etc - but no pointer. I'm wondering if the disc installed something that would cause this issue.

Now I KNOW I've seen posts about a missing pointer/cursor, but for the life of me I apparently can't use the search function very well since I can't find any posts regarding it.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks guys.

CAFlynn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still looking for some assistance with my cursor/pointer issue. I've tried a different sensor bar, and another Wii remote to no avail.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the port that powers the sensor bar is broken.

Which just seems odd that the timing would coincide withme running the Netflix disc.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, it'd be very much appreciated.

ChokeD

The Contributor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some possible solutions:

# My Wii controller was jammed like everyone else's. I could navigate the menu but could not swing or bowl or play any of the games. I gave the controller a hard flick... almost like you are cracking a bullwhip. I did it on all 4 sides of the controller to be safe since you don"t know how the accelerometer is jammed up. I also resynced the controller just to be safe. Presto... back in business.
# Disconnect the power cord and put it back in again. Worked A Treat!
# Yea, I followed the Instructions by Nintendo...I unplugged my Wii's power cord and then re-synced my remotes...no problem and I saved myself about $80.00
# Check your sensorbar, take a digital camera or a celphone camera and look at it while the wii is on, if you see some light dots the sensor bar is working fine if not, your remote is probably broken.
Your remote seems to be allright cause the lights your mentioning i take it is the small leds on the remote.
The sensor bar simply outputs IR(infra red)light which is caught by the remote and then the remote talks back tothe wii via bluetooth.
# what appears to have happened is the sensor within the mote has dislodged and been moved out of alignment the smacking both sides works but its only a stop gap solution, you need to open up the mote and tac some solder onto the connections, this will prevent it from going out again, also check the sensor bar is not loose as the cable from the sensor bar can sometimes become loose if it's moved around a lot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?