Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
SilverSurfR said:
Think I spend too much time here, when I should be playing more games.

Haha! Yep. I think I spend more time trying to fix my Wii than playing it! Oh well, I like doing it.
smile.gif

JJBro1, yeah. I spose that's what it means. But not really. It depends on how many seeder's there are for your download. It's more saying "The more you seed, the more you'll get in return."

DrHectic

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SilverSurfR said:
cIOS downgrader and ARC are essentially the same thing. Can't remember if cIOS Downgrader lets you change console region and video modes as well.

HBC first (obviously), you have a NTSC-J copy or TP for her? or you going to put your chip in her system temporarily to enable out of region/backup play? (my assumption here is your TP disc is probably PAL, since you guys are going to 3.2e)

As I don't know the differences in IOSes between 3.1 and 3.2, you could run IOS Downgrader (notice lack of 'c'), this should put you on the 'latest' Trucha bug-containing IOSes.
Then ARC to 3.2e (make sure you set proper region, video mode, system menu)
Then Starfall.

I'm using a dvd to install the hbc (she has a chip in her wii but i dont' know what it is).
Okay thanks for the help. Basically I should run an IOS/cIOS downgrader to get it onto 3.2 and install starfall?
Would the any region changer work from the start - or would I have to upgrade to 3.2 first?

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Today I purchased a 50 pack of DVD-R Memorex..its 16x speed..what is the best speed to burn it on Imgburn since I read that its not good to use the fastest speed..should I use keep it as AUTO? Thanks

iResilient

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lakerfanalways said:
Today I purchased a 50 pack of DVD-R Memorex..its 16x speed..what is the best speed to burn it on Imgburn since I read that its not good to use the fastest speed..should I use keep it as AUTO? Thanks
I would suggest using 8x speed on ImgBurn. If you're paranoid of burn errors like me, go for 4x or maybe even 2.4x (yes, it's a strange speed on ImgBurn).

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ResilientNight said:
Lakerfanalways said:
I would suggest using 8x speed on ImgBurn. If you're paranoid of burn errors like me, go for 4x or maybe even 2.4x (yes, it's a strange speed on ImgBurn).

So if you were me you would use 4x..my computer is only 3 months old. I have burned a few games previously with TDK DVD-R disks which were 2x speed so it burned at 2x and it was fine, I just kept it as AUTO..but if burning it at 4x is safer I will burn it at 4x..Also, I have used WiU 1.1 to remove all of the updates from the games that I have in fear that it could brick the Wii, dont want to take any chances. I used the brick blocker application on it..I guess just to be on the safe side. Some told me it was not necessary but I didnt want to take any chances

SilverSurfR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DrHectic said:
SilverSurfR said:
cIOS downgrader and ARC are essentially the same thing. Can't remember if cIOS Downgrader lets you change console region and video modes as well.

HBC first (obviously), you have a NTSC-J copy or TP for her? or you going to put your chip in her system temporarily to enable out of region/backup play? (my assumption here is your TP disc is probably PAL, since you guys are going to 3.2e)

As I don't know the differences in IOSes between 3.1 and 3.2, you could run IOS Downgrader (notice lack of 'c'), this should put you on the 'latest' Trucha bug-containing IOSes.
Then ARC to 3.2e (make sure you set proper region, video mode, system menu)
Then Starfall.

I'm using a dvd to install the hbc (she has a chip in her wii but i dont' know what it is).
Okay thanks for the help. Basically I should run an IOS/cIOS downgrader to get it onto 3.2 and install starfall?
Would the any region changer work from the start - or would I have to upgrade to 3.2 first?

IOS Downgrader first. This is sort of like a foundation. Next is either cIOS Downgrader, or ARC. Just use ARC, I don't think it requires you have a cIOS installed first like cIOS downgrader does.

Lakerfanalways said:
ResilientNight said:
QUOTE(Lakerfanalways @ Feb 27 2009, 08:51 PM)

So if you were me you would use 4x..my computer is only 3 months old. I have burned a few games previously with TDK DVD-R disks which were 2x speed so it burned at 2x and it was fine, I just kept it as AUTO..but if burning it at 4x is safer I will burn it at 4x..Also, I have used WiU 1.1 to remove all of the updates from the games that I have in fear that it could brick the Wii, dont want to take any chances. I used the brick blocker application on it..I guess just to be on the safe side. Some told me it was not necessary but I didnt want to take any chances

Burning slower is not safer, it's a myth. That's why some burner/media manufacturers lockout writing at the slower speeds. It's more dependent on media quality and your burner. New pc = new burner? Memorex isn't always great media, depends on what plant they bought the discs from for your batch. You shouldn't have to go below 8x.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
WiiPower said:
ether2802 said:
QUOTE said:
Has anyone used the offline version of AnyRegionChanger? Is it safe? I want to convert my Jap Wii to NTSC-U but don't have an internet connection.

How is that possible...?? is there really an actual app..?? or you are just trying to know if there is an app capable of doing this...?? AFAIK you need the conection cause it downloads and install the IOS needed for the sysmenu, and the sysmenu, don't know what else does, cause if it's all then you can just install the .wad for another region and that's it, but you will need to ask crediar about this...!!!
smile.gif

Do you know how the offline installation of WiiGator's cIOS installer works? If AnyRegionChanger is a PatchMii clone you just need to replace 2-3 functions and the ARC works offline.

@WiiPower
Well, the source of ARC contains patchmii_core.c and patchmii_core.h so I guess it is a PatchMii clone. Can you tell me what exactly I need to replace to make ARC work offline?

@ether
I have downloaded the offline version of ARC. Apparently it was created by Tona. But I am too scared to use it in case it bricks my Wii because no one has confirmed it to be working.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
JJBro1 said:
what does it mean in the torrent world "You get what you give"? So the more torrents I upload the faster my downloads will be?
Torrents get faster the more people are having it (those are the seeders)
They give what they have from the torrent to you (=download), and in trade you give the parts you have to them (=upload)
Its not guaranteed you get faster download when you upload more

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
bowser said:
@WiiPower
Well, the source of ARC contains patchmii_core.c and patchmii_core.h so I guess it is a PatchMii clone. Can you tell me what exactly I need to replace to make ARC work offline?

You need to replace get_nus_object with the one from WiiGator's cIOS installers. Then you need to remove all calls initialize_network and add a call to init the filesystem, somewhere after video modes init should be fine:
if (fatInitDefault())
{
chdir ("fat:/");
}

and a

fatUnmount(PI_DEFAULT);

would be nice at the end of the program.

This should be enough to make it work offline. Maybe it's a good idea to change the get_nus_object to display which file it tried to access:
Replace
fd = fopen(buf, "rb");
if (!fd) {
debug_printf("from Internet: ");
}

with
fd = fopen(buf, "rb");
if (!fd) {
debug_printf("Couldn't find file: %s, downloading file from Internet: ", buf);
}

A loop here with unmount filesystem, show error, wait for a button press, init filesystem and try again would be a very nice idea, as it would allow to download the requested file on a pc while the ARC mod is still running and insert the sd card with the file again.

Note that WiiGator's cIOS installers are written for the old libogc release from before december 2008, if ARC is written for the same version, you only need to get the old versions of devkitARM, devkitPPC, libogc and libfat(same folder as libogc) and put them in your DevkirPRO folder. If you compile a project and you get something about PI_DEFAULT, it's written for the old libogc.

I guess that's a little complicated, if anybody wants to do this, i'm willing to help. Start to write, and get as far as you can and then PM me.

PS: Lol, this in the noob thread ... would be great if noobs could follow these instructions ...

DrHectic

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So just let me get this straight one last time: can I just use AnyRegion Changer on my friend's 3.1J wii and install a 3.2E on it? I can't install starfall until I get it on 3.2 so I'm worried about stuffing it up with irreversible consequences.

Thanks!

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
WiiPower said:
bowser said:
@WiiPower

You need to replace get_nus_object with the one from WiiGator's cIOS installers. Then you need to remove all calls initialize_network and add a call to init the filesystem, somewhere after video modes init should be fine:

*lots of code*

I guess that's a little complicated, if anybody wants to do this, i'm willing to help. Start to write, and get as far as you can and then PM me.

PS: Lol, this in the noob thread ... would be great if noobs could follow these instructions ...

Thank you very much for your help WiiPower!
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

I will try this out when I get some time. But unfortunately I am more of a Java person and am no good at C programming
laugh.gif
However, I did understand what you said and will try it out as soon as possible. Thanks again!

D

Deleted User

DrHectic said:
So just let me get this straight one last time: can I just use AnyRegion Changer on my friend's 3.1J wii and install a 3.2E on it? I can't install starfall until I get it on 3.2 so I'm worried about stuffing it up with irreversible consequences.

Thanks!

I think you better stick with cIOS Downgrader.

It will asks for some settings, say YES or "Brick".

Oh, and are you sure 3.2E? E is PAL video mode and J is NTSC

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
DrHectic said:

Thanks!

That's right. And check out this page to make sure you do everything right. Good luck!

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
afif95 said:
DrHectic said:

Thanks!

I think you better stick with cIOS Downgrader.

It will asks for some settings, say YES or "Brick".

Oh, and are you sure 3.2E? E is PAL video mode and J is NTSC

Wait, so I can use cIOS Downgrader instead of AnyRegionChanger to change my Wii from 3.1J to 3.2U?

Then what's the difference between cIOS downgrader and AnyRegionChanger?

Rod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I borrowed a Wii with WiiKey from a friend. He doesn't have the homebrew channel, nor does he DL's WiiWare or VC games, most usually buying them. Since the Wii's not mine, I don't even think of installing anything there! D:

Now, my question: Is there a Snes and/or GBA emulator for the Wii that runs directly through the disc, w/o the need of installing a channel or such? If there is, does it save?

Thanks in advance.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
afif95 said:
cIOS Downgrader is much safer for noobs (It auto-does the thing. Does not require any manual setting. You just have to agree with what it is going to do).

Have you, or have you not read my post?:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=131...t&p=1803685

Can you please PM me the link for the offline version of cIOS downgrader? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Am I supposed to use Wainkoko's or WiiGator's cIOS Downgrader?

D

Deleted User

rockzx said:
I have preloader v.28, how do you play modded games? I tried backup launcher, but it gave me a code dump!!

Preloader does not play modded games.

Why did the backup launcher gices you a code dump?

What you did?

Is this another surge of "Guess my problem and solve it" posts?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!