Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's easy, use ModMii: https://gbatemp.net/threads/modmii-for-windows-official-support-topic.207126/

Just mod it like a normal untouched Wii. It'll generate a guide with instructions for you to follow and also install the needed USB loaders for HDD usage.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hello,

I have a Wii with a WiiKey installed, and the Homebrew Launcher installed. I can burn games to DVDs and play them, but I was wondering how to play images off a HDD and not have to use my disc laser.

Thank you,

It's easy, use ModMii: https://gbatemp.net/threads/modmii-for-windows-official-support-topic.207126/

Last edited by ca032769,
Reactions: Alexander1970

amph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Seems I am becoming a regular here. Only 9 years after I last messed with my Wii (errrr.... are Wii jokes still a thing).

So, I've cleaned up my console using ModMii and still have my old western digital HDD with my backups on. My HDD was partitioned I think back in the day, using Gparted (still have the disc too). Here's the thing I cannot for the life of me remember how my HDD is partitioned. I'e plugged it into Windows laptop and it recognises a small partition (10GB) as NTFS but doesn't recognise the other partition. So does that mean it's WBFS? Or would it be FAT32 (I assumed windows would recognise a FAT32 partition even if it didn't recognise the files within).

The reason I ask is that I want to put my USB loader onto the HDD so that I'm not reliant on the SD card being in place to actually use the USB driver. Any suggestions on how to diagnose which type of formatting I have? Obviously I don't want to lose my backups if I can help it but as windows doesn't recognise that partition I've no way of temporarily moving them (which I guess WOULD be an option to then use ModMii to format/partition the drive afresh).

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Definitely not fat32 if it's not being recognized. You can still read wbfs partitions using wii backup manager or wbfs manager or similar software. You would need another drive to backup the games before formatting to fat32.

There is software called wbfs2fat that can, as it's name implies, convert a wbfs partition to fat32 while retaining all your games. Sometimes it can corrupt data so using a second drive to backup data is still a good idea.

Also, 100% fat32 is ideal for wii purposes. No point in a small ntfs partition (even large games can be split and fit in a fat32 partition).

amph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Definitely not fat32 if it's not being recognized. You can still read wbfs partitions using wii backup manager or wbfs manager or similar software. You would need another drive to backup the games before formatting to fat32.

There is software called wbfs2fat that can, as it's name implies, convert a wbfs partition to fat32 while retaining all your games. Sometimes it can corrupt data so using a second drive to backup data is still a good idea.

Also, 100% fat32 is ideal for wii purposes. No point in a small ntfs partition (even large games can be split and fit in a fat32 partition).
Thank you. I understand you're to thank too for ModMii. Kudos man. Crazy how much stuff has moved on in the time I've been "away" (being a Dad, playing Wii U and Switch).

Can I just move the games onto my laptop (enough space) or does the destination drive need to be in the same format as the current drive (WBFS)?

Also, I take it the external drive I intended to use in the end needs to be FAT32 in order to put the USB loader on there to save me having to use an SD card for USB loader?

EDIT: Looking at WiiBackup Manager, it says I can create a WBFS folder on c: drive of my laptop. Is this a new partition or just a folder capable of holding WBFS data? Furthermore if the latter and is a viable option to backup my backups, can I then simply transfer these backups back to FAT32 formatted ext HDD or will they still need to be converted?

Last edited by amph,

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
U can copy them to your c drive, no special partition required. Afterwards you can just simply copy them to your fat32 hard drive using windows explorer, but you'll notice that large games greater than 4gb won't copy that way (unless they're already split). Just use wii backup manager to transfer from wbfs partition to c drive, then format your external to 100% fat32, then use wii backup manager to transfer from the c drive back to the external hard drive and it will auto split files as needed. Not to mention there are some efficiencies in how wii backup manager transfers files which should lead to a faster transfer.

Thanks for the Kudos. I hear u about kids. As I type this I'm lying in bed trying to get my 3 boys to bed (well my wife is dealing with our 10 month old while I'm trying to keep my 4.5 and 3 year old from kicking each other, lol, the joys of parenthood, am I right?)

Simba1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hi, can someone gave me information where to find/download wad channel forwarders for Wii games (Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros...), or if thats against rules gave me link in private message.

And other questions is how to play Wii games from SD card?
I have USB Loader GX and CFG USB Loader and both let me just playing games from USB.

Tnx in advance.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
You can create those types of channels using wii game shortcut creator (formerly known as CRAP, no joke, lol). The source download links seem to be busted, but you can download it from ModMii Classic's download page 2. Or here's the ModMii mirrored link http://expresstek.org/xflak/files/WiiGSC-Unpacked-1.06b.zip

Cfg USB loader is able to launch games off the SD card, not sure about GX. If no hard drive is inserted it will prompt you to select a device, or you can configure default settings to load off SD regardless using the configurator for configurable usb loader exe in the usbloader folder. Alternatively you can manually edit the config file.

Simba1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
First tnx for reply, i try CRAP but problem is that requres that HDD on which games are to be formated in WBFS. I couldnt make it to see my wbfs games on my HDD thats FAT32.

Talking about CFG Loader, in options of loader I choose to launch games from SD and I see game but from some reason it dont want to boot it. I didnt configure any settings, maybe thats a problem?
For record, I talking only about situation when using SD cart without plugged in USB Flash also.

Last edited by Simba1,

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I think the newer version of CRAP since it was rebranded supports fat32.

If u have problems booting a game off SD it's probably due to the cios you have installed. I suggest running d2x v8-final base 57. You can use ModMii to help you get this installed as well as update any other softmods you have that may be out of date.

Reactions: Simba1

Simba1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Tnx again, I will deffinatly try this new version of CRAP when I go home.

I softmoded Wii few days ago and I istaled this ones
  • cIOS 249 base 56 v10 beta52
  • cIOS 250 base 57 v10 beta52
  • IOS236 Installer
Is is possible that is causing problem with loading games from SD card? How to update them exactly?
Can I update them using Multi Mod Wad Manager?

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Modmii is the answer to all your questions, it will help u update your softmods

That being said, d2x v8-final is the same as v10-beta 52. Try launching the game with the cios your have installed to slot 250 (I. E. Base 57 has better compatibility).

It's also possible you have a bad rip

Simba1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Tnx for help, I find what was problem, I had installed beta53-alt, and I overwrite it with beta52 and now works.
I also managed to work CFG Loader to boot games right away from SD card.

But now I have problem making wad channel working, I manged to create and install channel forwarder, but after I start it through me back to Wii start window.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
The USB loader forwarder channel that comes with ModMii should launch cfg (and other loaders) just fine

Edit: I point to modmii because it's easy, but if u go searching there are plenty to choose from. Careful though, installing a bad wad can potentially brick you, especially if u followed an inferior guide that didn't have u make a nand backup and install priiloader... as I said earlier, ModMii is the answer to all your questions/problems (or to be fair any reputable guide is)

Last edited by XFlak,

amph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Back again.

Successfully put my backups onto a now FAT32 formatted ext HDD (Thanks @XFlak ) now i'm trying to put USB Loader GX and a forwarder on HDD. Problem I have is as follows:
with SD card in, homebrew has MMM available but this only reads SD cards and not HDD, so cannot find USB Loader GX or the forwarder I have saved on HDD, as it does not see the HDD. So i took the SD card out and hey presto, HomeBrew sees the USB Loader GX but no MMM with which to find the WADS on my HDD. Also, without the SD card in, my wii no longer boots to Bootmii first, instead goes straight to the Wii menu.

So... is my SD card now redundant for what I want? Should I be looking to copy it's contents onto my HDD instead so that I have access to MMM and anything else that was on there?

Update: Weirdly (or probably not to those in the know) without the SD card in, my channel for Configurable USB Loader exists but when I access it, it loads up USB Loader GX!
EDIT: I'm going to say I have a generic forwarder which is compatible with USB Loader GX. Which is fine I guess as actually it's just called "USB Channel) or something. Not sure what would happen if I had 2 different USB loaders saved to my HDD. Perhaps it would just run whichever is first alphabetically. Not going to find out.

Anyway, my whole plan of formatting the HDD to Fat32 was to remove the need for the SD card. I feel like I'm in memory paraphernalia limbo. :D

Any advice?

Last edited by amph,

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Mmm can access the USB if you modify its config file in the apps folder. Doesn't matter though because once your wii is softmodded (using an SD card) you shouldn't need to access mmm again. So install the wad/forwarder using SD and it will accomplish the same thing as if you had installed it from USB. At the end of the day you'll have the channel installed which will launch from SD and/or USB.

Forwarder sequence is customized by the person who created it. It's usually a part of the read me or some sort of documentation bundled with the wad or described on the page whereever you found it. If you only have 1 usb loader on the drive then there won't be any issues, or if u have more than one, and you don't want the current loader to load first you can just rename the apps folder so that it's skipped in sequence (I.e. Rename apps/cfg_usbloader to apps/cfg_usbloader_whatever). Alternatively you can seek out a different forwarder or create your own. You can easily create a new forwarder dol using ModMii Classic's advanced download page, then inject into a donar wad/Channel using customize Mii (from modmii classic's download page 2). Basically allows you to customize the action of an existing forwarder, heck you can even rename it, change images, music, etc.

If you use ModMii's wizard, and answer te questions as if the console is a virgin, you will have the optimal configuration (it even described how to set up a USB loader and format an external hard drive). When completed you can remove the SD card and it will just work.

And btw, because your bootmii loads upon boot when an SD card is inserted means you have bootmii installed as boot2. Congrats, coupled with a nand backup you are pretty much brick proof. If you rename sd:/bootmii to something different like bootmii_off it will skip launching bootmii upon boot. Or of course if u remove the SD card, the same thing happens. You can edit the bootmii config file as well to accomplish the same thing or to boot directly to the homebrew channel.

If you have priiloader installed it too can help you customize what's booted upon launch, and with this method you can even configure it to launch an app immediately upon start liek a USB loader. Again ModMii will help you with a lot of this.

Last edited by XFlak,
Reactions: amph

greator

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
I asked this before but,
Can someone teach me how to make softmodded wii play backup disc?
Plus I'm using jp wii, does it region locked when using the 'whatever' mod that you guys are going to show me?

Thank you. I really need this. I don't have much space on my HDD.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can someone teach me how to make softmodded wii play backup disc?
Plus I'm using jp wii, does it region locked when using the 'whatever' mod that you guys are going to show me?
Option 1: install a CIOS (249), use NeoGamma to start the backup disc
Option 2: install a CIOS (249), install Priiloader and configure it to run Wii Menu on IOS249 as well as enable the patch ("hack") to force run discs on IOS249
Option 3: install Darkcorp, which is a replacement of official IOSes with CIOS

Of course, you must have an optical drive that's not a D3v2 or D4 model, since those reject non-original discs in hardware

Region free is completely unrelated, being a property of the program you use to start the discs (all homebrew backup loaders like NeoGamma (for option 1) or Gecko OS (with option 3) are region free, the Wii Menu (for options 2 and 3) can be made region free via Priiloader patches)

Region free of course also means foreign titles will start, not necessarily that they will run correctly

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Newer model wii's can't play backup disks regardless of what kind of softmods you do, it's a hardware limitation.

If you softmod your wii using ModMii or some other tutorial, you can launch backup discs on older model wii's using neogamma. Or u can enabled the priiloader hack to have the disc channel use ios249 if u want to play backup discs direct from the system menu's disc channel. There's also a region free priiloader hack.

For real use ModMii, it will help u with all this stuff, and if u decide to region change the console ModMii can help with that too

Edit: ah I was too slow. I blame my kids, lol

greator

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Newer model wii's can't play backup disks regardless of what kind of softmods you do, it's a hardware limitation.

If you softmod your wii using ModMii or some other tutorial, you can launch backup discs on older model wii's using neogamma. Or u can enabled the priiloader hack to have the disc channel use ios249 if u want to play backup discs direct from the system menu's disc channel. There's also a region free priiloader hack.

For real use ModMii, it will help u with all this stuff, and if u decide to region change the console ModMii can help with that too

Edit: ah I was too slow. I blame my kids, lol
Option 1: install a CIOS (249), use NeoGamma to start the backup disc
Option 2: install a CIOS (249), install Priiloader and configure it to run Wii Menu on IOS249 as well as enable the patch ("hack") to force run discs on IOS249
Option 3: install Darkcorp, which is a replacement of official IOSes with CIOS

Of course, you must have an optical drive that's not a D3v2 or D4 model, since those reject non-original discs in hardware

Region free is completely unrelated, being a property of the program you use to start the discs (all homebrew backup loaders like NeoGamma (for option 1) or Gecko OS (with option 3) are region free, the Wii Menu (for options 2 and 3) can be made region free via Priiloader patches)

Region free of course also means foreign titles will start, not necessarily that they will run correctly

Thanks, installing these CIOS is confusing so I'll just use Neogamma. I'll test it later.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT