Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
hi all
so i just received another wii on 3.4e should i use modmii to full mod. your thoughts please because i don't want to spend another 4 days trying to mod it:rofl:
My answer this question is always gonna be yes, lol

I want to ask, can a hacked Wii play backup disc without any modchip?
Yes I know we can play through USB and SD, That is how I play games right now.
But looking at that lonely disc slot, it begs me to use it.
I can save some HDD or USB space by burning them to a disc, probably will put some kids games on the disc while the games that I personally play on a USB.
Only older wii's are capable of playing backup discs, the disc drives in newer consoles can only read original wii/GC discs.

Assuming u can play backup discs, you can use the priiloader hack to launch backups from the disc channel as previously mentioned, but you can also load backup discs using neogamma (which also allows you to apply ocarina cheats and tweak other settings as well) or USB loaders

Last edited by XFlak,

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does anybody know how to add gamescube games to an existing wbfs drive or how to run them through the disc channel?

1st You'll need to put the ISO's in a GAMES Folder: usb://games (You can shrink them with DiscEX but there are some that don't play when shrunk down so I prefer to use the full ISO)

2nd Your game would then need to be in a sub-folder and renamed to game.iso. For example Resident Evil 4.ISO would go into a folder and be renamed looking like this - USB:/games/Resident Evil 4/game.iso

3rd You'd want to use Nintendont to play the game and you can play it though USBLoaderGX or WiiFlow Lite. I also like Cfg USB Loader to play my Wii & GameCubes games, but it a little bit to get it setup and is no longer under development.

Hope this helps...

EDIT: If you're really using a drive formatted as WBFS, and not referring to the WBFS folder the Wii games go it, you should really consider changing it over to a FAT32 Format with 32k clusters. The WBFS Format went by the wayside a long time ago and is prone to corruption.

Last edited by ca032769,
Reactions: banjo2

greator

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
I believe you can if in Priiloader setting you force IOS249 for Disc Loading (or something like that). The base for IOS Slot 249 needs to be 57 that's been set to D2X v8-final & maybe v10 works as well.

There was a post about it a little while ago that I'll see if I can find and link for you. Not sure if you have to have one of those compatible drive though. I'm sure someone here knows more then I do, never needed to burn a game and load it into the Wii, so as of yet have not tried it myself. Of course now I want to try it. I'll look for that post and see if I can find it.

Yes please. A bit of tutorial would be nice since this IOS slot thing really confuses me.

yeseye1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1st You'll need to put the ISO's in a GAMES Folder: usb://games (You can shrink them with DiscEX but there are some that don't play when shrunk down so I prefer to use the full ISO)

2nd Your game would then need to be in a sub-folder and renamed to game.iso. For example Resident Evil 4.ISO would go into a folder and be renamed looking like this - USB:/games/Resident Evil 4/game.iso

3rd You'd want to use Nintendont to play the game and you can play it though USBLoaderGX or WiiFlow Lite. I also like Cfg USB Loader to play my Wii & GameCubes games, but it a little bit to get it setup and is no longer under development.

Hope this helps...

EDIT: If you're really using a drive formatted as WBFS, and not referring to the WBFS folder the Wii games go it, you should really consider changing it over to a FAT32 Format with 32k clusters. The WBFS Format went by the wayside a long time ago and is prone to corruption.
thanks for the info will be getting a new drive, what is the max size i can use?

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the info will be getting a new drive, what is the max size i can use?

How much room do your Wii & GameCubes take up?? This might determine what size drive to get. My Wii's (about 1,900 of them) are reduced in size as .wbfs files not .iso and take up 3.19TB and my GameCubes (maybe 800+, I should look) as .iso files are just at the 1TB mark with 976GB of space. You can probably get away with a 5 or 6TB if you have all the games made, but I have other Nintendo stuff also on my drive taking up space. Thinning some games out (I'm sure some of them just suck) would allow me to squeeze them onto a 4TB HDD (3.638 TB actual usable formatted space).

I'm using a Western Digital 8TB MyBook that has all the Wii & GameCube games on it. I just formatted a 10TB Western Digital MyBook yesterday to FAT32, but didn't get a chance to test it, but will get to it later today. Link to the 8TB & 10TB drives: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LQQHLGC/ref=twister_B07CMLR679?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If you don't have that may games the Western Digital 4TB Passport also works great and doesn't need to be plugged into the wall. I'll take a picture of it when I get home. You can get it in the color to match you Wii (well the blue isn't an exact match). Link to 4Tb passports: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LQQHBNU/ref=twister_B07MSVWXLJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Also keep in mind you'll need to do some special things to the drives if you go over 2TB. You can use the link in my signature to see what needs to be done to larger drives over 2TB. So if you don't have that many right now or if price is a concern, you could always get a 1TB or 2TB now then upgrade later. Also is seems that the Western Digital drives are one of the few drive you can do this with. Other users using other drive manufacturers have tried but I haven't heard much if any luck with them, so above 2TB I'd stick with Western Digital.

SD Card - You can also use large SD cards. I use a 256GB PNY SDXC, any Wii with a system menu over 4.0 can read the SDXC cards. I haven't upgraded to a 512GB yet, but will eventually. These large cards will hold quite a few games on them as well. I have games on mine for when the USB drive is not attached.

Last edited by ca032769,
Reactions: yeseye1

Dudebloke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The photo channel gets some special processing in the Wii Menu (as do the weather/news ones and some others but this one is more annoying)
3 titleids are involved:

HAAA - Photo channel 1.0 (MP3 version)
HAYA - Photo channel 1.1x (AAC version)
HAZA - Weird beast, is not a channel (the content folder is empty or otherwise without executable stuff) but the data folder contains something which makes HAYA override HAAA
can you please help me out with that?

Dudebloke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sorry, but I don't remember much more than "having both channels, or even not that, is a bit of a mess" - many years since I last experimented with that...
ok :(

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

well maybe somebody else can help... edit:I do know that when you get it from the wii shop you can delete it...

Last edited by Dudebloke,

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

An update to the drive size that can be used. The 10TB Western Digital listed back a few posts works.

I used the WD Formatter to break drive from GPT to MBR and then formatted it as a single FAT32 partition but ended up using 256k cluster size. When I tried formatting it with 64k clusters with FAT32 Formatter it gave me some weird readings. Windows 10 showed it as only a 1.09TB Drive but EaseUS Partition Master showed it as the proper 10TB size. With that I decided to use EaseUS and reformat it with the only 256k cluster size option it gave me and it's working.

I'll update the post mentioned in my signature to reflect this incase you or anyone else wants to use this size drive.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I used the WD Formatter to break drive from GPT to MBR and then formatted it as a single FAT32 partition but ended up using 256k cluster size.

Even if your drive is 512 bytes/sector, a 256k cluster size would mean a single byte file will still use up 128M, if it is 4096 bytes/sector, then the minimum file size becomes 1024M. It will not be a big problem if you only store large game iso but it you start to use the drive for apps, covers or small emulator roms...

celerychoker

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hello, good day guys. I got my hands on a second-hand (but in good condition) Wii console. Problem is it's an NTSC-J version, and all the games I have are NTSC-U. From first inspection it doesn't seem modified (I think? Not sure). I wanted to ask if it were possible to have my Wii play these NTSC-U games, probably by "modding" my Wii. I've been doing some research and so far, the fear of "bricking" my Wii is what's holding me back. If I could get a link to a really, easy-to-comprehend step-by-step guide for modding my Wii safely that would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance!

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Hello, good day guys. I got my hands on a second-hand (but in good condition) Wii console. Problem is it's an NTSC-J version, and all the games I have are NTSC-U. From first inspection it doesn't seem modified (I think? Not sure). I wanted to ask if it were possible to have my Wii play these NTSC-U games, probably by "modding" my Wii. I've been doing some research and so far, the fear of "bricking" my Wii is what's holding me back. If I could get a link to a really, easy-to-comprehend step-by-step guide for modding my Wii safely that would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance!
https://gbatemp.net/threads/modmii-for-windows-official-support-topic.207126/

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes use the ModMii link posted above. I had one of mine that was NTSC-J and I used ModMii to region change it.

When I first had it all menus were in Japanese. I googled and found a site that gave the US Wii setting screens on the left and the JAP setting screens on the right and used it to maneuver through the settings to make changes and get the MAC address needed for modding it.

I actually modded it first thinking selecting 4.3U would change it to English, but instead I ended up with a modded Wii still in Japanese, so I had to do the region change in order to get it over to English.

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if your drive is 512 bytes/sector, a 256k cluster size would mean a single byte file will still use up 128M, if it is 4096 bytes/sector, then the minimum file size becomes 1024M. It will not be a big problem if you only store large game iso but it you start to use the drive for apps, covers or small emulator roms...

Yes understood, I might be wasting space. I'll see how thing pan out. I have two more 10TB's I can play around with their format while using this one as FAT32 256k.

I did try it as FAT32 64K, but Windows 10 was only showing it as a 1.09TB drive. Loading it up in EaseUS Partition Manager showed it as the proper size. That's why I decided to let EasuUS format it in 256k, the only FAT32 option it was giving me.

Not sure if I'm willing to take the chance on the drive if it's not displaying properly so we'll see, I might just put 10TB of information onto it and see what happens while keeping the other 10TB as a backup just in case it goes bad. Right now I have two 8TB's with all my Wii information on it formatted to FAT32 64k, one as the main drive & one as a backup. Both 8TB in this format have always displayed properly in this FAT32 64k MBR format and have been working just fine for years now. Not sure what's up with the new 10TB, I would have thought at 64k it would be just fine.

Edit: After thinking about it a bit here's what I'm going to do seeing I have three of these semi-empty drives right now. I'll keep one in NTFS 4k format as my backup, keep the one as-is in FAT32 256k to use & then use the last one (after playing around with a few more settings first) in FAT32 64k to see what happens.

Last edited by ca032769,

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
After thinking about it a bit here's what I'm going to do seeing I have three of these semi-empty drives right now....
Man I would hoping that sentence was going to end with you suggesting to send one of your spare drives to me, lol wink wink

Reactions: ca032769

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man I would hoping that sentence was going to end with you suggesting to send one of your spare drives to me, lol wink wink

Well they're never really spare, just not being used for movies, TV shows or other consoles at the moment. I'm always out of space with something.

With your creation of ModMii and all of your help over the years I would say you've more then earned one.

It's the least I could do, PM me your info and I'll sent one over.

Last edited by ca032769,
Reactions: XFlak

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s