Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

SvtLight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
grrr.... I have a 3.2u wii which I am trying to setup to use wii resort.. when I first started homebrew it wanted me to update so I did to 1.06. I believe it is using ios 61, now hbc doesnt load or recognize the sd card at all.. and for some reason I have gone retarded and cant get bannerbomb to work to reinstall hbc and bootmii

I deleted HBC from the wii channels, bootmii was never installed..
any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:
I figured it out the WII's card reader is f**KEd!! But it did work with one of my sd cards and installed everything I needed to..
smile.gif
Guess Im not a noob afterall since I answered my own question.. later noobs

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WizardOfOdd said:
I am currently running backups from disc using NeoGamma 7. Please could someone link me up to a guide to loading games from USB? I had a look round this forum, but I can't find a guide to the various loaders, and what I need to do with the disc images and my USB stick to play the games!

Thanks
smile.gif
http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chopders said:
QUESTION;

I have a 4.0 custom firmware with a modchip (yaosm) and I don't care about Wiiware/Virtual console. If I update to the normal 4.2, am I gonna be able to play New Super Mario Bros on a backup disk?

Thanks.

Edit, sorry for the double post, the site was slow.
no need to update to 4.2. even at 3.2 you could run this game. use neogamma r8 beta 7.

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
minivan09ia said:
I am trying to mod my wii using the instructions from xzxero.

My wii was purchased in the US with system menu 3.3U right now. I think it has some kind of mod chip in it.

I finished installing the Homebrew Channel, DVDX, and Bootmii as boot2 from the SD card. I got the "success" messages.

When I ran WAD Manager 1.5 from the Homebrew Channel. ISO36 is not available as an option for me to choose. I can see ISO35 and ISO37 and some others. Is it OK to choose some other ISO other than ISO36?

Which other one should I choose?

Thanks.
not ISO but IOS...no IOS36???...but have HBC?
blink.gif
anyways you can use any ios as long it has trucha. how about 249? you could use this to install your wad.

edit: btw sorry for multi post...kinda straining for me to remember the names and each of their issues so decided to post per question. just trying to help here. thanks.

j0shuakane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have never had an interest in menu modding before but darkwii looks really good.

problem is, to install darkwii from where i am at is like a huge operation. i am running 3.2u with neogamma7 and cioscorp 3.3, since cioscorp screws up alot of stuff i could only imagine it creating problems trying to change the menu or update it to 4.2u like i need to. i also have rawksd installed.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated, my newbprn keeps me way too busy to study this anymore...

Sockslayer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
801 said:
what does "boot2" mean?
i see it mentioned a lot, yet no description of what it is.

QUOTEBootmii is a modification of Boot2 (which loads the system menu when booting the Wii). As boot2 is normally not updated through a wii system update (which was proven wrong with the 4.2 update!), this is the best brick protection you can get. Unfortunately, Nintendo already knew about it before it was even released, so they updated boot1 (which loads boot2) on newer Wii's. This is why Bootmii can't be installed as Boot2 on those Wii's.
Taken from here

I have a question about preloader hacks. On a 4.2E Wii, with preloader 0.30 installed and cIOS38 rev14 what exactly does the "Force Disc Games to run under IOS249" do? I know it should enable back-ups to run from the disc channel, but how do I know which ones will work and which ones won't? and will I still be able to play original games as well?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Shadz0r said:
G'day all, been coming here for a long time, but first time i've actually needed to ask a question i could already fine answered elsewhere
smile.gif

Righto so i've got a Wii with 3.3E firmware, i havn't really been keeping up with loaders and such so everythings a fair bit out of date (all the IOS's aswell as HB's and so on)
My sister had a Wii with the same firmware (3.3) that accidently got updated to 4.2 and i spent today rehacking HBC/etc onto it (They didn't really want to pull out the original games cause you know how children under 3 are with "good" things)

So to cut a long story short i got it all up and running but it got me thinking, is there any benefit for me to upgrade to a higher firmware? Her's pretty much functions exactly the same as it did on 3.3 (Though, there is 1 game, the new "Cricket Wii" game, won't boot, but if you reboot with the loader it'll load in the disc channel then die when you try to launch the game, though on my console, even with old launchers, its works perfectly?)

Been hunting around and i see 4.2 is pretty much an "anti-HB" update so no real reason to update to that right?
Though i saw 4.0/4.1 are the ones that introduce SD card related goodies and reported as "boosting wii performance" as well as bug fix's, so would it be worth upgrading to 4.1 maybe? Use wanikoko's firmware upgrader? does that basically upgrade your console to 4.1 just without the nintendo nasties?

Or should i do a upgrade to 4.2 via nintendo's updater (i did see that some consoles were getting bricked from that tho?), then just downgrade from 4.2 to 4.1? (upgrade > install everything then downgrade as per this guide, which is what i used to recrack my sisters wii)

Or should i just stay at 3.3? Do all the IOS's that are released (for anything, like the 249/222/223's and all those for usb loaders and such) pretty much import all the features i'd get in 4.0+ anyway?

BTW with the new super mario bro's, do you need v4.2 to play it? or will it play on any version (I intend on buying it, but i don't want it to need me to upgrade to 4.2 or something !) or even is there a better chance for a backup to work via a loader on the newer firmware compared to the old firmware or what?
Would really like some advice on which way to go on all this
smile.gif

ps, is CIOScorp worth putting on even with all the "risk's" stated in the readme? Or should i just stick with Neogamma and Softchip? (I use channel forwarders so the ability to load directly from disc channel isn't really a deciding factor here)

oh, one last thing, FTPii, has anyone has issues with this not being able to mount the drive when booting up for Wifi dumping? My sisters wii wouldn't mount the drive, kept hitting errors though i forget what they were (the wii's no longer at my house to check) when booting up, it'd do the network bit fine, then try to mount and die, i dunno if i just missed something in that guide above (ie truncha hack reenabling and all the cios installs) or if its something to do with v4.2, i didn't try any other wifi dumpers soi dunno if its just FTPii (was latest version too)

Anywho, any replies would be greatly appreciated, cheers
Well I think its definitely worth it to update from 3.3 to a least 4.1

You can do this on 3 ways:[*]Update officially and use xzxeros guide like you said (and risk a minimal chance of bricking by the 4.2 update)[*]Use the safe 4.2 updater (you'll still need to hack the wii after, I think)[*]Use my guide and you'll never even go to 4.2

New games only need the update if you play them with the disc channel. If you use a loader, its impossible that the games don't work due outdated firmware. (There can be loader compatibility issues however)

If you really want cIOSCorp, be sure to read a lot of documentation about it. And install it only after you did all the rest.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Sockslayer said:
801 said:
what does "boot2" mean?
i see it mentioned a lot, yet no description of what it is.

QUOTEBootmii is a modification of Boot2 (which loads the system menu when booting the Wii). As boot2 is normally not updated through a wii system update (which was proven wrong with the 4.2 update!), this is the best brick protection you can get. Unfortunately, Nintendo already knew about it before it was even released, so they updated boot1 (which loads boot2) on newer Wii's. This is why Bootmii can't be installed as Boot2 on those Wii's.
Taken from here

better use this: http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ot...ff/wii-glossary

I have a question about preloader hacks. On a 4.2E Wii, with preloader 0.30 installed and cIOS38 rev14 what exactly does the "Force Disc Games to run under IOS249" do? I know it should enable back-ups to run from the disc channel, but how do I know which ones will work and which ones won't? and will I still be able to play original games as well?

The hack does what it says: it forces all games to use IOS249. Like that, backups can be played, but originals will work too. Compatibility should be near 100%, depending on your cIOS version (rev)

Chaz.

Trophies
XP
Country
Could anyone help me, I just upgraded to the latest 4.2 software for wii for the Embassador program, and now my Bootmii has dissapeared and everything in my Homebrew Channel wont boot. Is there a solution to the problem? Tried installing rev14 again but it desyncs my remote so I cant install it.

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Speed Freak said:
Hey there, I've been searching for a while but haven't found a proper guide. How can I install NeoGamma R8Beta7?
you do not have to install neogamma. you just have to download it from here http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=175...amp;hl=neogamma
just place the files in the apps folder of your sd card. eg.: sd://apps/neogamma/boot.dol...you could run this on HBC just like any other homebrew. but be sure you have cios249 and any other hdd cios.

if you want more info. check on this link. http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chaz. said:
Could anyone help me, I just upgraded to the latest 4.2 software for wii for the Embassador program, and now my Bootmii has dissapeared and everything in my Homebrew Channel wont boot. Is there a solution to the problem? Tried installing rev14 again but it desyncs my remote so I cant install it.
let me guess...mmm...you have update through official means? 4.2 firmware's purpose is to disable all homebrew in your wii...nothing more. anyways you had updated already so might as well re-hack your wii using this guide: http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ha.../trucha-bug-4-2

grapereaper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok extreme noob here,

I have a cyclowiz mod chip for a d2b with cut legs installed on my wii. It's been fine with every game I've attempted to run up until the new Mario. Everywhere I read says that I need to use a USB loader like NeoGamma to play the new mario. My friend installed the homebrew channel for me a long time ago and I haven't really used it or updated or it anything. Here is my situation: Downloaded new mario and updated to 4.2. I have the homebrew channel working just fine and WadManager 1.4. I am unable to install the USB Loader GX WAD though. I am going to attempt to install NeoGamma R8 beta 7 right after righting this post.

I'm wondering where I need to start with in the "Modify any Wii 4.2& below, aka the simplistic mod" guide. With the Homebrew channel already installed is it OK if I start from the very beginning of the guide and just start with step one? Will it install an additional HBC? Will it mess up my mod? Is it possible to jump ahead or would this be a good idea to do? I want to learn how to do all this stuff now since my buddy was the one who originally installed it. I am just where to begin so that I don't mess up my wii any further. Games such as Wii Sports Resort and stuff like that all work just fine, I just can't play the new Mario. I figure this is a good time to get the USB channel working so I don't have to worry about burning games anymore.

Also, when I download the NeoGamma R8 files I get a boot.dol and a meta.xml. I thought I would be getting a WAD file but I'm not. Why is this? What is the difference between NeoGamma and USB Loader GX?

Thanks for the help,
Greg

Posts merged

scry

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So apparently I screwed the pooch with my wii last night.

My Wii was at 4.1U softmod. I noticed Mario wanted to install 4.2, so I figured I'd install Waninkoko's Safe 4.2U. I did that, and now my homebrew channel won't work. It's still on my wii dashboard as a channel, but it simply goes to a black screen.

I also cannot run it when I turn on the wii through Bootmii, and can't run it through USB Loader GX. so basically it's like all the links to the homebrew channel are there, but the actual app is missing or not working.

So I figured I'd grab the latest version of Banner Bomb and it says It can't be installed ..

Thoughts?

Chaz.

Trophies
XP
Country
razorback78 said:
Chaz. said:
let me guess...mmm...you have update through official means? 4.2 firmware's purpose is to disable all homebrew in your wii...nothing more. anyways you had updated already so might as well re-hack your wii using this guide: http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ha.../trucha-bug-4-2
Cheers, worked like a charm!

Melee54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I sure am glad there's a "Noob Paradise" thread, heh. I hacked my wii a long time ago, haven't really touched it since. It's running 3.3 (USA). Got homebrew installed, etc. I'd like to upgrade straight to the newest firmware (4.2), if possible. When I get NSMB Wii, I'm fairly sure it'll ask me to upgrade. So I might as well get it over with beforehand.

I know there are stickies regarding updating, but for some reason I'm not sure which guide to follow. Haha, I'd love a "click this .dol to do everything for you" link
tongue.gif

Also, does no longer having an SD card present a problem? If I remember correctly, the Homebrew channel can run off of a USB stick. Will the upgrading procedure work alright using a USB (Whatever the upgrade procedure may be.... XD)?

EDIT: Solved myself by using 4.2 "Safe" firmware updater. Thanks anyway.

LuigiPT

Trophies
XP
Country
My Wii is 3.2E.
I installed the cIOS38_r14 installer from Waninkoko.
I used SoftMii so I installed a bunch of things I'm not quite sure now. (Glady I didn't erase them from SD, so all the random file [at least for me they are random] are still there.)

First of all, lately, I've been trying to play Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World again but now when I start it all stays black and white. I though it must because I was using now an old TV that didn't support NTSC but went to use load Excite Bots and it worked like a charm.
So I wanted advice as to how make it work with colors, because I have no idea what I did yo blew it up.

Second, I think I've been installing and desinstalling to many stuff on my Wii. Glady, it still works like a charm, but it's getting outdated and I'm afraid that if I install new stuff I may end up screwing things up.
So my question is, is there a way to make a fresh reinstall of everything that is softmodded? I heard that especialy the cIOSCORP is a hard thing to get out. >.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Gy3BOmvLf2w?list=OLAK5uy_k27izUIERfT-RIE1qN1CHIOIkW4h5A9BY Play this song if...