Hacking "No find system files." - on 3DS or DSfat

Closet Nerd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok is this a micro sd card issue?

I've been trying for about 5 hours to get the dstwo working on my 3ds. (Version 2.1.0-4u. Also, consider the fact that i'm a newb on this subject)

After I reached my witt's end I tried to use the dsfat that we have in the house. I get the same message from that too. So that surely must be a micro card issue right?

Its an amazon brand microsdhc. Really sucks if I have to return this.

Closet Nerd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have the system files on your SD card? We have a sticky about this.

Yeah.

I put the latest EOS on the sd root. As well as the latest patch.

I also put the firmware on it for the 3ds. However I bought the dstwo pre-flashed to v2.0. Not knowing I didn't need the firmware, I tried to get the dstwo to work with that firmware on the sd. When I realised I didn't need the firmware (at least thats the gist I get from doing research) because my dstwo is pre-flashed, I deleted everything on the sd and started over.

After both tried I still get the "no find system files" blue screen.

Even on the dsfat! What the hell is up with that? This older ds I have hasn't been updated in years.

Of course I had reformated the amazon sdhc before all of this.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Er, the firmware is not the same thing as the software. You'll find people mix the names up all the time, but you DO need the system software for the cart on your microsd. That's NOT the "firmware", but most people call it the firmware.

The actual firmware is what gets flashed/written to the DSTwo itself when it gets updated for new 3DS updates and stuff.

Closet Nerd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You were already given a link that shows how to put the software on the card properly and update it. :P

The "beginner's" guide" says to extract the eos and patch to the micro sd. For someone who is a newb to flashcarts I can see how they might get that part confused and extract both folders on to the sd instead of the files in them.

Catch my drift?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
They're not folders, it's zip files and you dump the contents as-is. If your copy of windows is treating zip files like normal folders (which is the default when nothing elsr to do it is installed) then it's suggested you install some third-party software. 7-zip is my personal suggestion as it's simple and will open almost every known compression format (and dealing with homebrew and such you may run across a couple).

Closet Nerd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The zip files are stored in a compressed (zipped) folder after they are downloaded is that correct? I have 7-zip and this is how they are stored. When you open the zipped folder you see the folder in which the needed files along with the readme are stored.

My point is that I can see how someone would extract this folder on to the sd and not the files inside it. (_dstwo,ds2boot)

In the sticky; the part where it asks you to download the eos, it wouldn't hurt to tell the newbs that there are specific files you MUST extract,drag,copy etc. on the the micro sd.

Example: Open your download "DSTWO_v1.11_1108_eng (1).zip", and make sure to drag these files "_dstwo" and "ds2boot" on to the sd. Make sure you can see both of these files on the root of your sd.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I reworded #3 for you, let's hope this mistake doesn't happen again.
3. Download the latest EOS from the top of this page and extract the files in the archive to the root of your MicroSD Card.

Edit: Btw, not sure where you got your download from, the one linked to in the sticky is named "26761-EOS 1.11 (11-08-11).zip"

Reactions: 1 person

Closet Nerd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I reworded #3 for you, let's hope this mistake doesn't happen again.
3. Download the latest EOS from the top of this page and extract the files in the archive to the root of your MicroSD Card.

Edit: Btw, not sure where you got your download from, the one linked to in the sticky is named "26761-EOS 1.11 (11-08-11).zip"

I think that would help out a lot of people who are new to flashcards and flash memory.

Also, thanks for the guide. Besides my personal hiccup, I found the guide to be very extensive. Good job.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water