Hacking Nintendont

GABO1423

Half the man he used to be.
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Ecouraged by framrate comparison videos on youtube, I softmodded my second wii. I installed nintendont to play gc games at a better framerate.
My question, and slap me if I'm asking about the obvious - do I need to adjust the settings to improve the framerate or does nintendont play gc games more smooth by default?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Slap me if I'm asking about the obvious - does nintendont require any special settings to improve framerate in gc games?
No, you do not need to change any settings for Nintendont to work optimally.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Ecouraged by framrate comparison videos on youtube, I softmodded my second wii. I installed nintendont to play gc games at a better framerate.
My question, and slap me if I'm asking about the obvious - do I need to adjust the settings to improve the framerate or does nintendont play gc games more smooth by default?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Slap me if I'm asking about the obvious - does nintendont require any special settings to improve framerate in gc games?
you get slapped xD, no intendo just runs gc games with wii mode which lets games get more recources and get afew more frames in general.

docseuss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm unsure what to do; any gamecube game I run eventually hits "an error has occurred. Turn the power off and refer to the Gamecube Instruction book for further instructions."

I ran a syscheck and installed the files it told me to, then ran another one and installed the one file I apparently missed. I'm trying on a brand new flash drive, because I suspected the hard drive I was using might be the problem (it didn't used to be, but I wondered if age might be the issue?). I was able to get through a lot more gameplay but still run into the error. The flash drive was formatted to fat32 at 32kb cluster size using guiformat.

What else do I need to do? Just... get a different flash drive/hard drive?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm unsure what to do; any gamecube game I run eventually hits "an error has occurred. Turn the power off and refer to the Gamecube Instruction book for further instructions."

I ran a syscheck and installed the files it told me to, then ran another one and installed the one file I apparently missed. I'm trying on a brand new flash drive, because I suspected the hard drive I was using might be the problem (it didn't used to be, but I wondered if age might be the issue?). I was able to get through a lot more gameplay but still run into the error. The flash drive was formatted to fat32 at 32kb cluster size using guiformat.

take a picture of your nintendont settings.

an error has ocurred message happens when either you have an hdd/flashdrive that takes too long to awnser some nintendont calls or you have settings turned on like osreport and log.

probably the first one, if your hdd worked before maybe its too much fragmented, maybe a slow format and then put everything inside would help.

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The problem is most likely you're using a flash drive. While some work, some don't and others have intermittent errors.

I recommend you buy an external hard drive that has a separate power supply that plugs into the wall or if it is only USB powered buy a Y-cable to go with it.

The 1TB, 2TB, 3TB & 4TB Western Digital Passports work great, but still get and use a Y-cable incase the USB on your Wii is weak.

Reactions: cugel

HHŁŁ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So i've been playing nfs underground 2. The game is one of the worst optimized games for gamecube i've ever played. It's way better in nintendont. But it still drops some frames. Is there a way i could squeeze some extra frames out of it?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i've been playing nfs underground 2. The game is one of the worst optimized games for gamecube i've ever played. It's way better in nintendont. But it still drops some frames. Is there a way i could squeeze some extra frames out of it?
U do realize Nintendont isn't an emulator right? So it will preform the same there as well as on a GameCube

HHŁŁ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Actually it's not the same as og gamecube. It's better be a dozen or so frames. So I thought there was a way to improve it even more.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Actually it's not the same as og gamecube. It's better be a dozen or so frames. So I thought there was a way to improve it even more.
no there isnt, nintendont runs with wii clock speed so games get a bit better cpu/ faster memory the only way to squeezze more frames is to overclock your wii cpu and burn it out probably.

if yopu had a wiiu you can play nintendont with wiiu clock speed which can help or not, depending if that specific game bottleneck is on gpu or cpu or just memory in general.

docseuss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
take a picture of your nintendont settings.

an error has ocurred message happens when either you have an hdd/flashdrive that takes too long to awnser some nintendont calls or you have settings turned on like osreport and log.

probably the first one, if your hdd worked before maybe its too much fragmented, maybe a slow format and then put everything inside would help.

Here's my nintendont settings:

I can try defragmenting too.

The problem is most likely you're using a flash drive. While some work, some don't and others have intermittent errors.

I recommend you buy an external hard drive that has a separate power supply that plugs into the wall or if it is only USB powered buy a Y-cable to go with it.

The 1TB, 2TB, 3TB & 4TB Western Digital Passports work great, but still get and use a Y-cable incase the USB on your Wii is weak.

I was using a Western Digital passport drive, so I tried a USB drive, which made it a LOT longer, but still crashed.

Took your advice, tried to use a Y-cable, was able to make it a lot further but the issue still happened, though once again, it took a lot longer to crash.

Any ideas other than a defragment?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Here's my nintendont settings:

I can try defragmenting too.

I was using a Western Digital passport drive, so I tried a USB drive, which made it a LOT longer, but still crashed.

Took your advice, tried to use a Y-cable, was able to make it a lot further but the issue still happened, though once again, it took a lot longer to crash.

Any ideas other than a defragment?

settings seems ok altough you dont need to force english or ntsc videomode, if you play usa games they will always be english and pal games aswhell since i bet your console is in english and forcing ntsc can break some pal games just levue those two on auto.

preety sure its fragmentation, i would just take out everything to your pc, do a full slow format and then put everything back in.usb flash drives are notoriously bad with nintendont compatibility wise, hdds are fine as long as they arent very fragmented, specially if you used them alot for putting and taking out files.

-Moo-

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there some sort of secret to forcing the IPL to run in 480p? I'm using a PAL console and all my backups work just fine with the video mode set to Force NTSC480p aside from the IPL on startup, which is stuck in 480i.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Is there some sort of secret to forcing the IPL to run in 480p? I'm using a PAL console and all my backups work just fine with the video mode set to Force NTSC480p aside from the IPL on startup, which is stuck in 480i.
nope, ipls have wierd resolutions and nintendont cant patch them, that is why even on wiius the pal ipl doesnt work at all only the ntsc one.

Reactions: -Moo-

HolmesNumba187

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone know why when I run Nintendont thru USB Loader GX? When I exit the game, it shoots back to the system menu instead of homebrew like Nintendont usually does. The Wii games return to HBC as per USB loader settings but Gamecube does not.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
anyone know why when I run Nintendont thru USB Loader GX? When I exit the game, it shoots back to the system menu instead of homebrew like Nintendont usually does. The Wii games return to HBC as per USB loader settings but Gamecube does not.
nintendont needs a full stub to return if it doesnt find a full stub path it returns to system menu

when launching stuff from homebrew channel the homebrew channel itself is a full stub so it can return there
when you launch usbloadergx from homebrew channel and then nintendont the usbloadergx is already another path which isnt a full stub so nintendont doesnt have a full stub to follow.

if you install a full usbloadergx channel when exiting nintendont it would load usbloader gx, or if you launch nintendont directly from homebrew channel it would return to homebrew channel.

but launching something from homebrew and then launching nintendont through there doesnt make a clear path for nintendont to follow unfortunelly.

Reactions: HolmesNumba187

HolmesNumba187

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendont needs a full stub to return if it doesnt find a full stub path it returns to system menu

when launching stuff from homebrew channel the homebrew channel itself is a full stub so it can return there
when you launch usbloadergx from homebrew channel and then nintendont the usbloadergx is already another path which isnt a full stub so nintendont doesnt have a full stub to follow.

if you install a full usbloadergx channel when exiting nintendont it would load usbloader gx, or if you launch nintendont directly from homebrew channel it would return to homebrew channel.

but launching something from homebrew and then launching nintendont through there doesnt make a clear path for nintendont to follow unfortunelly.

Awesome explanation, and thanks for the quick reply!

docseuss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
settings seems ok altough you dont need to force english or ntsc videomode, if you play usa games they will always be english and pal games aswhell since i bet your console is in english and forcing ntsc can break some pal games just levue those two on auto.

preety sure its fragmentation, i would just take out everything to your pc, do a full slow format and then put everything back in.usb flash drives are notoriously bad with nintendont compatibility wise, hdds are fine as long as they arent very fragmented, specially if you used them alot for putting and taking out files.

Didn't seem to get solved by fragmentation, but I bought a new WD portable drive and used the Y-cable and it seems to be working now, so I'm guessing a 5 year old drive was the issue. Thank you for your help!

Reactions: ca032769

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/owEOnspRpVk?si=rEd1m4Yi0aTKvjiv