Hacking Nintendont

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Like I said before, it is not just for unlocking stuff right from the start and such, but there are actually some cheat codes that modify stages, gameplay or add some other thing to the game to make it more enjoyable.

Besides, what is the point of having cheat codes implemented in Nintendon't then since "(saving) now works, and you don't see the point"?
Don't mean to be harsh or anything, but cheat codes is one of the things I wanted to be added to Gamecube games in some other way that was not DM, and Devo doesn't have that option either.

I get your point, and you're right, the Cheats option is there and can be used for other things (though I've never seen a cheat code that makes the game harder, and thus more enjoyable to me); I was just voicing my opinion when i said I don't see the point in wanting cheats to work (specially because it needs extra stuff to work), but since you have your reasons for wanting it, it's ok.

Even so, I'm not sure the devs would go out of their way to see why cheats aren't working, like they would if there were issues with compatibility or controllers, for example. They might work on it after the "important" stuff is done, but again, that's just what I think.

suomynonanum2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would agree with ShadowOne333. for me, "cheats" are the *only* reason i choose nintendont over devolution. devolution currently has better compatibility, better stability, and bluetooth support. however, if you play melee competitively or have played it for a while, you'll realize how useful game modification can be. there was no reason to disable c-stick in 1-player/training mode, yet they did, so you can use an ocarina code to enable it again. melee is arguably a fighting game, and a very useful thing in fighting games is knowing your hit/hurtboxes, so you can use an ocarina code to turn those on. need to practice advanced techniques like l-canceling? make your character flash on successful l-cancel and have the computer do frame-perfect shield grabs on you to punish you if you don't l-cancel. and there are so many other things you can do with ocarina codes and the hacking scene for melee is still very active. and if mcemu is still having problems or if the virtual memory card gets corrupted, not having to spend many hours/days unlocking things is a great relief.

so while saving is much more useful for things like adventure games so you can continue from where you left off, i think cheats are more important for things like fighting games since it improves functionality on a game that will only last a few minutes at a time. and considering that melee is the best-selling game for gamecube, it would be a shame to ignore the utility of the cheats, especially since--like stated before--it is one of the few things that nintendont has over devolution at the moment.

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Sorry suomynonanum2 ; I play to have fun, not to become a Master Jedi of fighting games and compete with others to see who has more "skill" doing things that regular people wouldn't care about when playing. That's one thing that usually pisses me off on some online games: you have to "learn" to play as a super pro,otherwise you won't have fun because everyone else has already a master belt for playing so much and learning stuff instead of having fun with the game "as is".

But to each its own, if I were a developer I wouldn't care more about making a "game hacking scene" happier than I would about making people who wants to play their games again happy. For you the selling point of nintendont might be the Cheats availability, but the aim of nintendont is that people can play Gamecube games with the consoles they have and the controllers they have (I have a family edition Wii so THAT is the selling point of nintendont for me)

And Saving is useful for everyone who wants to get things done on their own, even in fighting games like melee where you unlock things by playing, not by inputing a code. Of course I understand that if you lost all your progress because of a memory card corruption, you'd want the easy, not frustrating way to get it back, but that doesn't make Cheats more important that overall compatibility because, as I said, for that kind of situation (losing your unlocks for corruption) having Memory emulation working perfectly would make cheats unnecessary.

suomynonanum2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i agree that stability and saving is more important overall, and if you inferred otherwise from what i said, let me clarify. you asked, "are cheats even needed at this point?". i was offering my two cents on why i think cheats are needed and why i value the functionality it provides. i am glad that nintendont has this feature, but i was *not* trying to suggest that it's the only thing the developers should work on and sacrifice saving and compatibility along the way. i agree that for those who don't have a wii that can read gamecube games, nintendont is important as devolution currently requires you to verify your games on a wii that can prior to your ability to play games on those that can't.

i could be wrong on this, but i think what ShadowOne333 was reporting was that when both cheats and mcemu are enabled, saving doesn't work. he was not reporting on a specific cheat that was causing problems. i can't verify myself since i haven't come across an experience where i need to use both at the same time, but i do think it is something that should be noted if that is indeed the case.

and personally, i play to have fun as well, and i think for games like melee, part of the fun comes from improving :-p.i think it's amazing that melee has such a high skill ceiling that you can see people still improving on a game that's over a decade old, but i digress :-/.

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I apologize as your post did make me think you'd rather have cheats functionality over other things because that's what makes it "better" than Devolution, but that aside, my point wasn't that said functionality should be removed or anything, but whether it was "necessary", that is : "I can't play X game because X cheat won't work". With Melee this was understandable, you start the game with a limited number of fighters and you wouldn't even try to unlock the rest if memory card wasn't working, you'd rather use a cheat or play and get bored after a while.

But since MCEmu has come a long way now and it's working really well, then the fact that Cheats aren't working have less impact on gameplay. That's my point, and I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear in my first post. Of course that if something isn't working it should be reported, but as I said previously, I think (my opinion entirely) the devs would rather fix controller / compatibility issues at this point because that's what most people would benefit from; while cheats are something that can come later because even if they don't work that doesn't make games unplayable nor affect a wide range of users (you can disagree with this last point).

Finally, I'll go offtopic and say that I can't deny that discovering new ways to play is fun, but it's a pain when it becomes a must to do so if you want to play with others; if you're a beginner that just wants to play online and you get your ass kicked in a flash because you don't know the "tricks" to being a pro, then you forget about multiplayer, even more so because everyone is an asshole when they feel superior (this happens with FPS games as well, who wasn't kicked from a game for being a noob at some point?). That's why I'm a hater of competitive multiplayer games lol, I was the kind of person that wanted to have fun once in a while and couldn't be bothered to learn all there was to learn about a game just to avoid being kicked out.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are these titles worded right? The grammar seems a bit strange.

Which features has Nintendont?

Which features Nintendont doesn't have yet?

which features Nintendont will NEVER have?

Shouldn't it say something like...

What features does Nintendont support?

What features does Nintendont not support yet?

What features will Nintendont NEVER have?

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Who would be able to change those questions? Heck, will anyone take a look at these?

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

I can agree with the last correction, however, features are something the app has, not that it supports. So in any case it should be "What features does Nintendont have?", same for the other, have instead of support. However, I also agree with the_randomizer, who cares about wording there? People care about the answer to those questions more than the questions.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's worded awkwardly, yeah, but it's understandable. The way it's worded probably comes from German, but I don't speak German, so I can't say one way or the other.

dario14

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That works. You could also remove the which and use a colon instead of a question mark, as in
"Features Nintendont will never have:"
"Features not yet supported by Nintendont:"
and "Features supported by Nintendont:"

intermet

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Would not it possible to add a feature do nintendont which writes files loaded in a txt file ?
Then we will have just to see which files are often loader?

PS:with the lastest rev 43 settings are not saved .
Here is a cache for Super Mario Sunshine

Attachments

• sms.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 364

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Would not it possible to add a feature do nintendont which writes files loaded in a txt file ?
Then we will have just to see which files are often loader?

PS:with the lastest rev 43 settings are not saved .

If you have a computer, check 3 or 4 pages back for a post of VinsCool to use Dolphin to show the logs for the File Monitor while loading an iso on the emulator. That way you can easily see what files are loaded and then create a cache.txt for your games.

intermet

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you have a computer, check 3 or 4 pages back for a post of VinsCool to use Dolphin to show the logs for the File Monitor while loading an iso on the emulator. That way you can easily see what files are loaded and then create a cache.txt for your games.
Yes i know but it would be easier with nintendont.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo