Nintendo to post lowered sales forecast as Wii U falters

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
This thread is messed up. All I can gather is that Nintendo overestimated. That is all. There is no 'loss' here whatsoever.

You might as well post that the Met Office got the weather prediction wrong for today according to their forecast 2 weeks ago. :glare:

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This thread is messed up. All I can gather is that Nintendo overestimated. That is all. There is no 'loss' here whatsoever.

You might as well post that the Met Office got the weather prediction wrong for today according to their forecast 2 weeks ago. :glare:

Trouble is in business world missing your estimates by such a large amount (either way but especially under) has all sorts of nasty problems it can cause when it comes to people giving you loans (or the terms thereof), the prices you pay for parts, the attitudes of investing in people that will do things for your platforms (we are a new developer developing solely for the wii u platform- probably would see a response of on your bike depending) and it goes on and on.

Reactions: eyes

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This thread is pathetic and illustrates exactly why I don't discuss sales on GBAtemp any more.

I'll just leave this here.

This is not so much sales as business* and thus far (once we got things back on topic) we seem to have had a halfway nice discussion, similarly not doing sales is something of a site wide policy of sorts unless it is actually notable one way or another.

*sales are part of business but far from the whole picture and anything that looks at said whole picture is somewhat more encouraged.

Reactions: Qtis

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This is not so much sales as business* and thus far (once we got things back on topic) we seem to have had a halfway nice discussion, similarly not doing sales is something of a site wide policy of sorts unless it is actually notable one way or another.

*sales are part of business but far from the whole picture and anything that looks at said whole picture is somewhat more encouraged.
Indeed I have to admit that the original formatting of my OP was f'd a bit. Hopefully it's now a bit more clear (my idea was not really about the sales as it was about the financial and business situation of Nintendo (info from Nintendo themselves instead of speculation from VGACharts or whatnot)).

Sales are a main part of a company's revenue, but they alone tell nothing in terms of if a company is profitable or not. Running a company at an operational loss on the long run is very dangerous, but a short term operational loss can be taken care off with multiple ways (like in this case, transactions and the depreciation saved quite a bit).

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I expect sales of the Wii-U to pick up quite a bit once the next consoles from Sony and Microsoft launch, with all the features they are supposedly packing in.
The Wii-U is going to look like a bargain...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This thread is pathetic and illustrates exactly why I don't discuss sales on GBAtemp any more.

I'll just leave this here.
I'll agree with you to the extent that sales threads are useless - the gross majority of users here don't invest in the stock market so that kind of news isn't really relevant to us.

They're "interesting tidbits" for us, not really "news proper".

D

Deleted_171835

I'll agree with you to the extent that sales threads are useless - the gross majority of users here don't invest in the stock market so that kind of news isn't really relevant to us.

They're "interesting tidbits" for us, not really "news proper".
I just mean that sales threads on GBAtemp are pointless. Sales that are just average are proclaimed as "HORRIFIC" and other hyperbolic terms while goods sales result in massive circle-wanking.

Sales are still very relevant to us. In fact, there's a wonderful post on another forum that I'll quote here about this.

If you feel sales don't matter at all, please never complain about any of the following things on the forum again:

-Lack of game localization.
-Homogenization of game design.
-Any changes to a series that makes it more like a series that sells more.
-Lack of retail release of a game.
-Streamlining
-Accessibility
-Developers moving to social gaming.
-Developers you like no longer making games you like.
-Series you like no longer getting new entries.
-Online passes.
-Always online DRM.
-DLC, locked disc DLC, and day one DLC.
-Proprietary/company specific digital distribution stores.
-Multiplayer modes being added to most games.
-Games not coming to your platform of choice.

Reactions: Black-Ice and Qtis

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sales are still very relevant to us. In fact, there's a wonderful post on another forum that I'll quote here about this.
No, no, no - sales are relevant to publishers and hardware manufacturers, not us. We are the customers, we are supposed to generate sales, not analyze them. Being familiar with sales figures does not influence any of those.

If you don't have a given company's stock, sales figures do not influence your life as a gamer at all - they're merely a good reason to circle-wank.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is quite an interesting dilemma in more than one way. While Nintendo has a positive net income (below the bottom line, which includes all transactions, ie. money made with exchange rates, etc), the company has an operating loss of $220 million (making hardware and software costs more than the revenue from them). While this may seem like it doesn't matter since the company did get income, the income didn't come from the place it should have come from (software and hardware generated revenue).

Also this is expected revenues, it's not final. Still, just like any company, lowering sales expectations by around 20% is generally not good. The biggest problem I see here is what will happen in the future in regards to the operating profit. Depreciation of the yen can't be done multiple times or Japan will have more problems due to other countries doing the same and making the process pretty much moot (it's also debatable that China has been doing this for years according to the US among others).

The same situation can be seen in quite a few financial statements during the last few months. Nokia for example had a positive year, but it wasn't due to its core functions (phones), but instead the networking part NSN (Nokia Siemens Network). Just like Nintendo, it's profit, but not from where profit should be made.

they made a profit some people dint believe your misleading tittle and actually read the source it seems

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, I'm a mature gamer ( meaning I'm old ), and I didn't buy a Wii U yet, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on it ( ergo why I post in such topics ).
I'm in no rush by all means, I'm just waiting for the right games to come along I guess ( New Metroid ? Brand new Zelda which doesn't mess up too much with the original ) or even high quality ports with improved controls or touch screen items selection and maps.

So yeah, I'll get one eventually, after all I owned every Nintendo console to date ( minus the VB and some obscure Japan only model ) , and even got my Wii on launch day at midnight by Toys 'R Us in NYC back in 2006.

But as pointed out the situation has changed; the economy, the 3rd party support, the handhelds getting better and better, tablets, smart phones, and even decently priced Laptops which can run pretty much anything ( included Dolphin ) , there are such so many way to play games out there, that I don't expect ANY system from ANY company to make a huge headline regarding sales NOW or in the FUTURE.

I'll laugh when the *competition* will release overpowered and overpriced systems that nobody will be willing to buy or develop for.
The market has just changed, we are very far from the SNES or even N64/PSX era when owning a console was pretty much the only way one could get quality games at home.

So yeah, considering all of the above, I guess this glass is half full and Nintendo is doing mighty fine, and it clearly needs a little more time until a bigger user base is established and more and more original games will be developed for.

It's really too early to judge how successfully the Wii U will be during its life cycle, my 2 cents.

D

Deleted_171835

No, no, no - sales are relevant to publishers and hardware manufacturers, not us. We are the customers, we are supposed to generate sales, not analyze them. Being familiar with sales figures does not influence any of those.
Sales do matter to us. Sales dictate whether a game you like will get a sequel, whether a platform you purchased will get third-party support, the future of a console that you might consider purchasing, whether a game in a franchise you enjoy will get localized...and all those other points on that massive list I just quoted.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'll laugh when the *competition* will release overpowered and overpriced systems that nobody will be willing to buy or develop for.
Why?

This is a problem this forum (among other forums) has - laughing at another company's mishaps just because you're a member of a different fanbase. What do you gain from pointing and laughing at a company which products you're not interested in? There's being a fan and then there's a part of being a viscious fanbase - two different things.

We should all learn to be enthusiastic about gaming in general, guys.
Sales do matter to us. Sales dictate whether a game you like will get a sequel, whether a platform you purchased will get third-party support, the future of a console that you might consider purchasing, whether a game in a franchise you enjoy will get localized...and all those other points on that massive list I just quoted.
You don't seem to get my point.

Analyzing sales figures is not relevant for gamers themselves, it's relevant to the publishers and developers. It doesn't matter if we analyze figures or not, what really matters is whether we buy games and systems or not. Us buying stuff influences the market, us talking about it doesn't. You're getting me now?

I'll use an analogy to make this approach simpler to understand...

You sorting out your garbage influences the environment, even if just a little bit, you posting on an internet forum that you care for the environment doesn't automatically improve it.

In the same way you going out and buying a game improves the financial situation of a developer/publisher, but you talking about the overall sales doesn't amount to squat.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why?

This is a problem this forum (among other forums) has - laughing at another company's mishaps just because you're a member of a different fanbase. What do you gain from pointing and laughing at a company which products you're not interested in? There's being a fan and then there's a part of being a viscious fanbase - two different things.

is only natural to point out wrongs other company are making

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
is only natural to point out wrong other companys are making
Discuss it? Yes. Point and laugh? Not so much. It doesn't amount to anything, it doesn't improve the situation, it just gives you a reason to gloat and feel good about yourself - for all the wrong reasons, too.

Reactions: Qtis
D

Deleted_171835

Analyzing sales figures is not relevant for gamers themselves, it's relevant to the publishers and developers. It doesn't matter if we analyze figures or not, what really matters is whether we buy games and systems or not. Us buying stuff influences the market, us talking about it doesn't. You're getting me now?
By analyzing sales, we can figure out whether a console is a good investment, whether to expect a game to leave Japan and get localized in the West or whether a franchise you like will continue to get sequels. These are all important things for us gamers to know so we can make informed purchasing decisions.

Sales are very relevant to us and to pretend that they're not is ignorant.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Why?

Why ?
I'll tell you why.
Look at the VITA.
The more powerful a system is, the more expensive it will be to develop for,it's a fact,(look it up) and in order to make AAA games for it ( not counting indie ) companies will have to commit to huge investment and spend years in order to develop something that will not disappoint the users.
Nowadays, developing AAA titles is too big of a gamble for anybody,why do you think we see more and more of the same ,COD or FIFA etc. every year ? Because they are established brands and will most likely sell millions because of the huge fan base.
The days when developers were taking risks working on new, fresh ( weird ) ideas are long gone......

That's why I'm convinced that the Wii U hits the right spot, by being slightly more powerful then last gen, and slightly raising the bar without raising the developing costs too much.
And it's also innovative in its own way ( because of the game pad ) and can potentially offer something new and worth wile ( we'll see about that ;) ).

Don't assume that everybody with a clear unbiased opinion is a fan boy ( because maybe it differs from yours ).
I'm 40 and I owned and played pretty much every console ( excluded the original Xbox ) and I loved them all, I'm just writing here regarding the Wii U because it's a Wii U topic.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why?

But how can I justify my purchases if I don't laugh at the competition and call them poopy heads?

A lot of people don't understand that the "Console War" takes place in a global marketplace, not the playground.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
By analyzing sales, we can figure out whether a console is a good investment, whether to expect a game to leave Japan and get localized in the West or whether a franchise you like will continue to get sequels. These are all important things for us gamers to know so we can make informed purchasing decisions.

Sales are very relevant to us and to pretend that they're not is ignorant.
I guess I'm from simpler times then.

When the new year rolls in, I think "Hmm! I wonder what new games this year will bring, I'm excited!" rather then "Oh-ho, gotta log on Reuters to check the latest quarterly sales report, uh-huh!".

Talking about video games and consoles may have an influence on the market - positive reviews may entice gamers to buy given titles and in the long run generate a profit, negative reviews may create an opposite effect and generate a loss. Staring at charts generates nothing (outside of the usual circle-jerk or tears fountain of the parties involved). Sure, it helps in speculating whether a sequel is likely or not, but that's only speculating and believing otherwise is a mindset straight from Neogaf or other Pretentiouslandia forums.

My case is simple - we should focus on games proper because we're gamers, not investors. We're not stock market players, we're gamers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY