OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey all:

Well, apparently, Nintendo is at it again. A lawsuit was filed in Washington State this week against several websites and its owner for selling DS cards. I have attached a copy of the complaint for all to read....

Feel free yall to send the attorney for the dark side some love letters...

Susan D. Fahringer, WSBA No. 21567
[email protected]
Charles C. Sipos, WSBA No. 32825
[email protected]
Perkins Coie LLP
1201 Third Avenue, Suite 4800
Seattle, WA 98101-3099
Telephone: 206.359.8000 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              206.359.8000             206.359.80
0              206.359.8000
Facsimile: 206.359.9000

HELP KEVIN!

Attachments

• Complaint.pdf
    68.8 KB · Views: 505

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wow, no Cyclo DS in there.
tongue.gif

Bently

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Meh, next thing you know it once they seize all of the flashcard sellers they will go for the People owning flashcarts. Then target the ROM sites or go for the ROM sites than the people.

Pyrate02

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's not efficient for them to go after everyone who bought a flashcart, and would be downright stupid. They only sue the enablers - people who sell or otherwise disseminate the products.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when trying to access the file i get

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.

is this normal?

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo's fighting a losing battle with this... there'll always be online sites for people to buy these products.

They're already making a ton of money off the DS hardware and software... this is probably just them going through the motions, trying to appease their shareholders and the higher-ups at the recent "loss" in revenue. They're still making a shitload of money, though, and pirates aren't nearly in the majority.

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Berthenk said:
Wow, no Cyclo DS in there.
tongue.gif

QUOTE(Brian117 @ May 13 2010, 05:14 PM) Yay! No EDGE on there!

But is this going to be another yet failed attempt at stopping flashcarts?
"brand names, including, but not limited to"

Anyways if Nintendo was my company I would do this every day.
ppl always are trying to justify piracy, saying that they make enough money anyways, ridiculous imo
Nintendo is a company and they have every right to pursue people stealing from them

@below : good point
oh, wait a minute, that's absolute bullshit

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is like Nintendo suing Apple for making iPods, or Sony for making PSPs that are both used to play pirated GBA games.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Gore said:
Anyways if Nintendo was my company I would do this every day.
ppl always are trying to justify piracy, saying that they make enough money anyways, ridiculous imo
Nintendo is a company and they have every right to pursue people stealing from them

Flashcarts have legitimate uses, too. If there were no more flashcarts for the DS, I'd have a lot less reason to buy one. And I buy every single DS game I play, but I mostly play them from a flashcart. Homebrew is also a big draw, and the ability to back up my savefiles, etc.

Anyway, they're fully within their right to sue and try to stop them being available. But the fact is, they'll never actually be successful.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
This is like Nintendo suing Apple for making iPods, or Sony for making PSPs that are both used to play pirated GBA games.
That isn't true at all... Flashcards are designed specifically to play pirated material almost exclusively. There exist only a very select few which do not support commercial DS roms (such as the iPlayer, which actually still has a GBA emulator for it, so even then it's pretty weird...) The developers even update their firmware in order to play specific roms that are incompatible. Supercard team even cracked and distributed a Zelda Spirit Tracks rom to work on older Supercards that they couldn't simply update via firmware. Yes flashcards have legit uses, but if a flashcard maker who uses that line in court, they're usually just trying to justify it. More often than not, they support the loading of commercial roms on their flashcards, it's why there exist firmware updates to play newer roms.

There's a difference between primary focus and non-official means. Neither Sony nor Apple support any of the means used to play Nintendo systems on their own systems. Flashcard developers clearly support the play of copies on their devices.

And this is coming from someone who DOES pirate and supports it just so you know. I'm just saying the legal reasons and there's a huge difference between pirating GBA on the PSP and pirating DS roms on the DS.
closedeyes.gif

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
_Chaz_ said:
That isn't true at all... Flashcards are designed specifically to play pirated material almost exclusively. The developers even update their firmware in order to play specific roms that are incompatible. Supercard team even cracked and distributed a Zelda Spirit Tracks rom to work on older Supercards that they couldn't simply update via firmware.

There's a difference between primary focus and non-official means. Neither Sony nor Apple support any of the means used to play Nintendo systems on their own systems. Flashcard developers clearly support the play of copies on their devices.

And this is coming from someone who DOES pirate and supports it just so you know. I'm just saying the legal reasons and there's a huge difference between pirating GBA on the PSP and pirating DS roms on the DS.
closedeyes.gif

Actually, the purpose of flashcarts is to play backed up files of your already owned games and homebrew.
From what I can tell, no flashcart developers openly support pirating games.

Chaz.

Trophies
XP
Country
Lol, the only card I have that isn't on there is the iPlayer, R4i Gold and DSTTi are what I have
smile.gif
Soone to be Supercard DSTWO

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They may not openly support piracy, but they must know what people do with their cards. I'm FOR piracy being the cheap asshole that i am of course, but i'm not going to make excuses to justify what i do. Again, Supercard team supported piracy enough to crack and distribute a fixed Zelda rom (prepatched if i recall correctly, the real game, not just an ips) to work on their older flashcards, which would clearly be illegal to download as you are only allowed to back your own roms up.

iPlayer is probably the only flashcard i can think of that isn't specifically designed to run DS roms. I don't think it can load commercial DS games at all. Its primary purpose is cited as media-oriented. It has a GBA emulator too though, and it's speculated that Supercard hired the guy to make it (supercard is the developer of iplayer).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast