Hacking Nintendo sues Modding company in Miami... more to follow? (Gateway)

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
It's a never ending story indeed.
But prosecuting retailers isn't going to do much either.
Cause for every shop that's taken down, 5 more pop up.
Most IP theft is illegal in China and the government shuts down fake shops relatively often... It just happens nowhere near often enough to stop 99% of it. Hey, it brings money into the local economy so it's not like they have much incentive to protect the IP of foreign companies.

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone else find it funny that Nintendo only ever seems to go after obscure sites whose main products include a neverending stockpile of cheap R4 clones? :lol: For whatever reason Nintendo seems to be obsessed with R4's when they're not even the main threat to their business anymore.

Reactions: siai005

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like to see stuff like this happen, but if they were selling preloaded media (even in the past) they were asking for it. Sad but fair, next.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nintendo, make games that give people a reason to buy them. $40 for a 5 hour mario game, or a remake with improved textures at the expense of an even lower resolution is no good in my book.

That's a shit excuse. People are going to pirate anyways because they feel some sense of entitlement when they buy the console.

Look at games like Mario 3D Land, Fire Emblem Awakening, Animal Crossing, Etrian Odyssey, Shin Megami Tensei just to name a few. People are going to pirate those games anyways.

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost immediately after I messaged them with all links to infringing content [that I could find], they took the pages down -- you will no longer see \FAQS.php , for instance.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Just to clarify, the site used to sell carts preloaded with ROMs. They stopped that a bit ago (I think maybe two months?), it's likely that the suit started in motion back when they were still doing it (and even if they stopped the case is still real).
Quoting to let it sink in.

Again, they sold SD cards preloaded with ROMs! No pity from my side. Sue them to hell, I say.

Reactions: Dust2dust

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Just to clarify, the site used to sell carts preloaded with ROMs. They stopped that a bit ago (I think maybe two months?), it's likely that the suit started in motion back when they were still doing it (and even if they stopped the case is still real).

Yup, it was early june when he was 1 of the first gateway resellers for US, that people made mention to not preload any roms etc, as you could pick and choose roms or buy 8gig cards etc preloaded, i was thinking then so openly doing it stateside is asking for trouble, obviously he was looked into earlier but maybe expedited the process and just waited till his gateways arrived to pounce lol

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GGWP, all HackYourConsole products are listed as "sold out". Has anyone purchased from them recently and still had their product shipped? Wondering if just the checkout process is on withhold or all orders have been canceled.

EDIT: All flashcart products, that is. MicroSD's and the like are still "in stock".

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
importing, exporting, shipping, delivering, distributing, transferring, returning,holding for sale, destroying, or otherwise moving, storing or disposing of any Game Copiers orany other item or product bearing or used to reproduce any unauthorized reproduction,counterfeit, copy or colorable imitation of NOA’s trademarks and/or NOA’s copyrights;
Yep, guess even placed orders won't ship, anyone who ordered from them should cancel and move on.

quakquak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just received this in an email from HYC. Guess this answers any questions about current and pre-orders...

Hello we want to inform you that we are no longer in service since August 6, 2013.
We apologize to inform you that all pre-orders and recent orders from new customers have been cancelled. We hope you understand and once again we apologize for any inconvenience this might had caused you.
Sincerely;
HackYourConsole.com

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What confuses me the most is why people who were capable of creating this, were stupid enough to think they'd be able to freely advertise and sell a product like this from a US state... It's already hard enough to do in countries with weaker laws, nevermind freaking USA.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Luhof

Trophies
Website
luhof.fr
XP
Country
France
That's sad, I preordered a Gateway here, excellent mail support. Now they stopped their activities and cancelled recent orders/preorders...
But yeah, selling flashcards is dangerous enough, they shouldn't have proposed preloaded cards. Safer to act hypocrite and say "hey, want to play legal homebrews? Buy here!"...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.