Nintendo Sues Companies Over Selling DS Cards

em2241992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Key statement include but not limited to. That means anyone that has a card that looks similar to a DS game card. Sucks but thats legality.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pyrate02 said:
It's not efficient for them to go after everyone who bought a flashcart, and would be downright stupid. They only sue the enablers - people who sell or otherwise disseminate the products.
True. And since this is America the economy sucks, it would cost Nintendo more to go after every single person using a flashcard than to go after those who host sites that offer the games in the first place.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:
Actually, the purpose of flashcarts is to play backed up files of your already owned games and homebrew. From what I can tell, no flashcart developers openly support pirating games.
Last time I checked owning a game doesn't give you the right to make a copy of it, so this isn't legal either. It may depend what country you're in though.

The sad fact is if Nintendo supported homebrew developers in the first place, the carts capable of running pirate titles wouldn't be as advanced as they are. That's not an excuse, just something it would really be worth them thinking about before launching the next console if they don't want to get into this mess again.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Game Copier
This term was used to present them as having no other uses, say homebrew/dslinux.

This whole thing's a witch hunt, it's really the same thing as taking flash drives, cds, or dvds off the market just because you can store pirated content on it.
What's worth pirating on the DS, anyway?

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh crap i've ordered from NXPgame.com and WiiLoveDS.com which as of now are offline. Well time to hide under a rock until this blows over.
ph34r.gif

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nintendo can't possibly win this so long as they continue to try deceiving people about the R4 and other flashcarts, using outdated terminology.

Game copiers is such a 90's phrase, seriously.

They also come off as INCREDIBLY pretentious throughout the lawsuit.

QUOTE said:
"...devices that are designed to circumvent the technological protection measures built into the enormously popular Nintendo DS and DSi handheld video game system"
"Nintendo is a famous brand and Nintendo video game systems (such as the Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite, Nintendo DSi, Game Boy, and Wii) are wellknown and loved among consumers in the United States and abroad. In addition, several of the games offered by Nintendo involve its famous Nintendo characters, including the Mario and Luigi characters that appear in Nintendo's SUPER MARIO BROS. games. In fact, Nintendo's Mario character has been referred to as one of the most famous video game characters in history."
"Nintendo has received many awards for its pioneering contributions to the video game industry and is an acknowledged leader in the field."
"...Nintendo video game systems and games are enjoyed by tens of millions of
consumers..."

"Nintendo and its affiliates presently market and distribute the Wii video game system, as well as numerous Wii video games and a wide range of Wii products, ranging from bags and backpacks to clothing to chewing gum."
"Among Nintendo's video game systems is the enormously popular Nintendo DS, a proprietary dual-screen handheld portable video game system"

Jesus Christ it's like reading a kid's report on why he thinks he's hot shit.
At least say "Critically successful" rather than "Enormously popular".

Ah...well I get they want, and need to protect their intellectual property and copyrights, absolutely. It also sounds like the specific retailers they are targeting were directly linking to ROM downloads.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
I have to commend Nintendo for not giving up, at least.
I can see why they wanna get rid of all those dastardly flash cards. The point is that even thought they COULD be used legitimately, most of them, well, aren't.
So, unless they start makin' homebrew-only cards, Ninty will always be on their asses with their lawsuits.

Whether or not their lawsuits will end up working or not is another thing, though.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Side note about all of this:

In an article on Joystiq, a writer used math, whatever that is, to estimate that only less than 1% of profits are actually lost due to piracy.

Porygon-X

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
LOLz. They should've listed all of the R4 clones. I see no "R4 3DiLL" (I think that's right).

Also: No Acekard 2i, 2.1. No Supercard DSTwo.

Man. They should at least do SOME research before submitting a formal document.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo have to show developers that they are doing "something" against DS piracy to keep the developers happy so they'll keep making games for their systems.

MarioBrotha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
Nintendo have to show developers that they are doing "something" against DS piracy to keep the developers happy so they'll keep making games for their systems.
Yea doing this kind of stuff lures in the game makers.
Of course, the only other popular gaming system is the PSP, I don't think the game makers had much choice

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
last guy got it right, they have to show some fight. otherwise devs will lose their enthusiasm to make games.

i think this lawsuit is unconstitutional and reminds me of the movie minority report. if you really REALLY wanted to, you can line by line write the code for any game ever produced. and build the hardware piece by piece to play it on.

if you then claim i am doing something illegal for what i can do, you have broken the law. flashcarts are not illegal, how can they be? they are hardware created by someone. what that hardware does may be illegal, but you cannot guess that someone will use it for that intent.

i hope they countersue. i would

Salax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TM2-Megatron said:
Gore said:
Anyways if Nintendo was my company I would do this every day.
ppl always are trying to justify piracy, saying that they make enough money anyways, ridiculous imo
Nintendo is a company and they have every right to pursue people stealing from them

Flashcarts have legitimate uses, too. If there were no more flashcarts for the DS, I'd have a lot less reason to buy one. And I buy every single DS game I play, but I mostly play them from a flashcart. Homebrew is also a big draw, and the ability to back up my savefiles, etc.
I second this. I buy every game on my flash cart, and I use one because it's MUCH more convenient to use one card that 22.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Shame it wasn't Facebook that paused them
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Shame it wasn't Facebook that paused them