mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
nuts, i saw acekard in there.. well, at least my edge isnt popular enough to hit that list
smile.gif

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I loved one thing about that complaint. "These devices and colliquially known, and are collectively referred herein, as "Game Copiers"
Has anybody here ever heard that term used to describe a flashcart?! I sure haven't, its misleading as well. Its quite hard to use a flashcart to actually copy a game and they cannot perform that task natively. "Game Copier" would be a term better used to describe something which actually rips the games not plays them.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ninty cannot win this. Flashcarts don't have to be used to play ROMs. Some people (like TeenDev) use them only for homebrew. Of course, 99% of people use them to play ROMs, but if Ninty would ban flashcarts then it would be unfair for those that don't use the illegal features of it. If the advocate keeps up a statement like this, he's sure to win the case.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
Overlord Nadrian said:
Ninty cannot win this.
Fixed. Government will side with corporation, FACT! Besides, the cart manufactueres actively go out of their way to patch games. Ninty have won cases before and can easily do it again.

hunnymonster

Trophies
XP
Country
Overlord Nadrian said:
if Ninty would ban flashcarts then it would be unfair for those that don't use the illegal features of it.

Life isn't fair - there are many examples of corporate/governmental unfairness - often enshrined in law.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
they'll probably win the war on the next console (3DS) it probably wont have flashcarts, the system will run a hypervisor, or they will use a new encryption method, anything but now the technology is mature enough to prevent piracy, as we've seen with the PS3. The 360 too to a lesser extent, if it didn't have a DVD drive it wouldnt be piratable (except for old jtag consoles thingy, but then you lose like half of the features).

Supersonicmonk

Trophies
XP
Country
the DS is probably the most pirated console and although Nintendo doesn't really do that much to stop it now, I do get the feeling that the 3DS is going to be bullet proof. They've shown they can make proper protection with the DSi (albeit only the DSi mode features) and I think at best we might be able to play DS games on it if it is backwards compatible

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The PS3 and DSi would've been hacked if more people gave a crap about doing it.

The only possible use hacking the PS3 would be is bragging rights for whoever did it. Same for the DSi. The cost of Blu-Ray burners and media (for now) make the PS3 unrealistic and pointless, and hacking the DSi would serve almost no use at all. There are only 2 DSi-exclusive cartridges, and they're shit games anyway. Nobody's going to hack the DSi so people can play a goddamn Hair Salon game on their flashcarts.

The 3DS will be hacked, because nothing is unhackable and people will actually care about getting that one done.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
hunnymonster said:
Overlord Nadrian said:
if Ninty would ban flashcarts then it would be unfair for those that don't use the illegal features of it.

Life isn't fair - there are many examples of corporate/governmental unfairness - often enshrined in law.
Life isn't fair, true, but in a case like this I expect Ninty to lose. I remember they lost a case againt some R4 seller in Spain recently too. So this shouldn't be much of a hassle either.

Pyrate02

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think a bunch of you are forgetting one important fact about the fight against Nintendo - litigating a case like this costs a LOT of money and unfortunately, I do not believe that Kevin can afford a lengthy fight against Nintendo.....that is the sad fact of the matter.

Perhaps if the Electronic Frontier Foundation or other got together and donated some time/money towards the defense, it might work.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, myself and several people I know would not even own a DS if not for there being flashcards....games are too expensive at $30 to $40 a pop! Nintendo has actually sold hardware they wouldn't have sold because of the flashcards...where it's a real shame is for the 3rd party devs whom rely on software sales. But if I could not use a flashcard plain and simple I wouldn't have bought a DS.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they really want to end DS piracy, then stop producing DSlite hardware/software. Plain and simple. DSi is not cracked and the 3DS is purported to have even better security. So stop making software that works in a DSlite (and phat) and move to pure DSi and 3DS games and piracy will end right there.

Until the next set of hax anyway....

iamthemilkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too late for Nintendo. This is the DS's last year. And I doubt the 3DS will be as easy to "hack" (simply buying a card).

RchUncleSkeleton said:
Honestly, myself and several people I know would not even own a DS if not for there being flashcards....games are too expensive at $30 to $40 a pop! Nintendo has actually sold hardware they wouldn't have sold because of the flashcards...where it's a real shame is for the 3rd party devs whom rely on software sales. But if I could not use a flashcard plain and simple I wouldn't have bought a DS.

I agree that $30-$40 for a DS game is absurd. The majority of 360/PS3 games can be bought for that 1-2 weeks after they release.

Nintendo needs to compete with the App Store. DSiware doesn't do that. And I've played a good many iPhone games that are better than many full retail DS games. Espgaluda II, for example.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
iamthemilkman said:
Too late for Nintendo. This is the DS's last year. And I doubt the 3DS will be as easy to "hack" (simply buying a card).
If it has a DS mode (for back compatibility) we may be able to hack that and use flashcarts though.

iamthemilkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
iamthemilkman said:
If it has a DS mode (for back compatibility) we may be able to hack that and use flashcarts though.

That's true. You're right. There's always a possibility. We can always hope, right? I just think it'd be downright stupid for Nintendo to use cartridges of any kind.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
iamthemilkman said:
Jamstruth said:
iamthemilkman said:

That's true. You're right. There's always a possibility. We can always hope, right? I just think it'd be downright stupid for Nintendo to use cartridges of any kind.
After all, the PSPGo proved to be such a huge success!
There are flaws in the DSMode of the DSi and in the DS itself, they can't remove those flaws very easily now that system is so set in stone, they can try but there will always be an exploit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/L7XokiY