The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Vimm's Lair's vault is kill.

View attachment 441067
Let’s hope more ROM sites come up to replace it. Fuck companies trying to push the “impermanence of media”

Vimm had absolute 1:1 copies of the original ROMs though, it isn't comparable to other fit or romantic sites where the dumps are of variable and often bad quality.
Skill issue
It’s not that hard to find good roms

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skill issue
...and stupid easy to find..
This is exactly why sites like Vimm's receiving takedowns, frankly, isn't that big of a deal. I genuinely don't see why people act like the sky's falling when ROM sites that get popular receive DMCAs, when at any given moment there are probably dozens of other places to get ROMs if you just look a bit.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wished more romsites are like private tracker sites for torrents you'd think they learn I'm part of one and I think they scan/trace IP's of users and blacklist vpn services

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
This is exactly why sites like Vimm's receiving takedowns, frankly, isn't that big of a deal. I genuinely don't see why people act like the sky's falling when ROM sites that get popular receive DMCAs, when at any given moment there are probably dozens of other places to get ROMs if you just look a bit.
I get a little leery as it seems like a step towards the worst possible outcome for game preservation. However, that's just the doomer in me.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I literally have an entire section of my bookmarks filled with ROM sites. I am shocked anyone would call themself a “pirate” and not be ready to sail into different territories

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get a little leery as it seems like a step towards the worst possible outcome for game preservation. However, that's just the doomer in me.
The way I look at it-- for every time one of these ROM sites dies or get C&D'd by the big N, two more will pop up in its place. These games are more than well preserved by many sources, and will never be lost. The worst that'll come of this is that you might have to find somewhere else to get your fix of Super Mario 64 (USA).z64.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The way I look at it-- for every time one of these ROM sites dies or get C&D'd by the big N, two more will pop up in its place. These games are more than well preserved by many sources, and will never be lost. The worst that'll come of this is that you might have to find somewhere else to get your fix of Super Mario 64 (USA).z64.
I've got libraries available across many sources. No big loss on my end.

Raydi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let’s hope more ROM sites come up to replace it. Fuck companies trying to push the “impermanence of media”

Skill issue
It really isn't though, it's hard to find individual ROMs. You and the other trog saying:

Well No-Intro romsets are still around and they're quality
miss the point entirely. Who wants to download 300,000 files at once from some seedy dickhead located in Ruzzia who can't be fucked to use a seedbox and torrents at 300bytes/sec? No one. Especially when 99% of the games on a console are complete ass.

I wished more romsites are like private tracker sites for torrents you'd think they learn I'm part of one and I think they scan/trace IP's of users and blacklist vpn services
Blocking VPNs? What shit "private trakkur" does that nonsense? LOL.
"Hey guys want to download from us? Drop your pants and let us fuck your ass blind. Also ignore that most ISPs need a VPN to allow non-throttled P2P connections."

when doug bowser dies by whatever reason I'm gonna piss on his grave
The only good millionaire is a dead one.

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Skill issue
Literally just use Google, forehead
to be fair most sites will either choose to turboblast you with ads, wait timers, insanely slow download speeds or extremely shady downloaders, vimm's didn't do that
also a super casual pirate isn't going to know like 100 immediately available rom sites that won't shred your system with viruses instantly

Raydi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skill issue
Literally just use Google, forehead
I love getting awful dumps that only ZSNES and other 20+ year old emulators can work with.

to be fair most sites will either choose to turboblast you with ads, wait timers, insanely slow download speeds or extremely shady downloaders, vimm's didn't do that
All of that and the fact that the dumps are just legit bad. Even the romantic sites that get praise have awful dumps that nothing loads. His pre-patched ones are the worst, I don't understand why he even bothers.

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not what I was expecting today, sad days and hope N eats a heaping pile of -

A friend was telling me about it the other day and saw it was still up, sad to see it go because of how good the site was. Guess I'm self hosting a ton of stuff for me and friends to download from for the foreseeable future.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I love getting awful dumps that only ZSNES and other 20+ year old emulators can work with.
I legit have never run into this problem, so I am just going to keep with skill issue. Seriously, it’s not hard to find ROMs.
also a super casual pirate isn't going to know like 100 immediately available rom sites that won't shred your system with viruses instantly
Yeah, that was a benefit of Vimm’s but it is a skill issue to not find clean roms outside of Vimm’s. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of ROM sites out there. It’s not like there’s only 10 or something. If one sucks, go to another

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: NES emulator on a Pico. +1