Nintendo message Wii owners about the Wii U; "it's an entirely new system."

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Anyone here can imagine a bright scenario for Nintendo for the next 5 or 6 years? Let's see: mobile and social games, powerful hardware for Microsoft and Sony, cheap gaming with android devices (ouya, etc), hackers knocking on the Wii U doors, financial crisis affecting many families, etc.

I see 3DS surviving like GBA did (It is cheap, portable and fun), but Wii U? Maybe it will sell like another gamecube.

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Its not a new system, its just a HD version of the Wii so its like an addon.
The Wii is still a better system as there are many more games for it so the WiiU wont really catch on till there are a LOT more games. By the way Nintendo are going it'll be at least 2 years before the WiiU comes close to being better than the Wii.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its not a new system, its just a HD version of the Wii so its like an addon.
The Wii is still a better system as there are many more games for it so the WiiU wont really catch on till there are a LOT more games. By the way Nintendo are going it'll be at least 2 years before the WiiU comes close to being better than the Wii.
tumblr_lxdsclmwcu1r9wg6co1_400.jpg

4JATmiO.jpg

You must show me this crystal ball of yours. You probably got it from eBay; they're pretty cheap.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You haven't actually read this thread, have you? Yes, most people DO confuse the two, and it DOES impact sales.
You must be Kidding! I could understand a small minority being a bit misinformed but for a enough to make a large impact on sales beggars belief.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair I think it's really unjust for all gamers to assume that everyone knows as much about gaming as them. It's a hobby like anything else and it's not something that everyone knows about.

Try explaining how Warhammer 40k or Magic the Gathering works to someone who knows little to nothing about it and they'll be lost by what seems to be the most pedestrian concepts to you.

I think "gamers" just suffer from a degree of tunnel vision when they're surrounded by just "gamers". Or ignorance. You can call it that too.

tl;dr not everyone knows about video games

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I think "gamers" just suffer from a degree of tunnel vision when they're surrounded by just "gamers".
Getting worse when they just hang out with people who have similar interests (most often seen in the younger ones, thus console wars).

Reactions: megazig

SnAQ

Trophies
XP
Country
I can't help to wonder if there will be this much debate if/when the upcoming PS4 and Xbox3 (yeah I know, but nobody knows the real name so yeah!) will be hacked early or if people will just be happy and celebrate and share their cookies and milk?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
What they really need to do now is just put a survey in the everybody votes channel asking
"What is the Wii U?"
"Wii accessory?" or "New console?"
(It would have been slightly more subtle that way.)

EDIT : I can see how this could backfire if everyone votes that it's an accessory and then the fact that that option won just solidifies the ides for everyone...

... nonetheless I just used that channel to propose this exact survey. :D

EDIT2 : I wonder if everyone proposing the same survey would make it more likely for it to come up or if they would notice and automatically ignore organized propaganda out of principal.

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I think that the name Wii U could have been better. I think Wii2 would have generated much less confusion. I haven't got the message yet, so I think they are still in the process of sending it out. I think it was a smart move, although wayyy too slow. It should have been sent out when the Wii U was first announced "The Wii U is coming! It is a all new much improved console! Check it out at _______" Then several times during launch "The Wii U is OUT! It is the most amazing console Nintendo every created..check it out at _____" (now I don't believe this but that is what most marketing says or the equivalent lol). I was surprised they didn't. They use to send out messages about new channels, or updates on features way back. And this is far more important to them (in the aspect of survival).

I like the idea about asking it on everybody votes channel. Might help lol. As for how many wii consoles are online, well that varies. Many are not to be sure, but I am certain Nintendo has a rough idea how many that are based on their bandwidth/log in statistics. And WHY in the world they are pulling their best advertising on the wii (Nintendo Channel) is just plain crazy. Let alone pulling features when its replacement is less than a year old.

Reactions: Maxternal

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Its biggest problem is that it needs games badly.
Now, how about localizing that Dragon Quest X... (runs away)

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahhh I finally got it. Turning on WiiConnect24 for a bit wasn't enough (probably wasn't waiting long enough in my case). I Turned on Wiiconnect24, looked at the weather, then the news channel. After I read a article the blue light came on. I have to wonder if checking for such emails are last on the queue and only happens if everything else is satisfied..

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I FINALLY got this message over the weekend which I thought was weird because the message board servers were shut down months ago. This probably means It's been lying in wait on my Wii for several months and only now showed up when I change my country settings to U.S. so it would accept my debit card adding Wii points to my account.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I got this message so long ago on my Wii, everyone is talking about how it's so late, I disagree with you all, you're just stupid and are either recieving the letter late or they are sending it again after you forgot about the last one.
EDIT: As for the whole discussion on bad marketing, they've been doing this with new Wii Store releases, so I don't see why they wouldn't with a new console too. They even did one for the 3DS on the Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them