Nintendo message Wii owners about the Wii U; "it's an entirely new system."

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by emigre, May 1, 2013.

1. emigre
    OP

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. NiGHtS

NiGHtS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 9, 2007
    This is just....sad.:mellow:

GHANMI, aalokishere, gamefan5 and 3 others like this.
  3. ShawnTRods

ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    That just shows how desperate they are?

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Scene 1 - Almost 6 months since launch marketing meeting.

"Why is the Wii U not selling Wii numbers? My second boat was depending upon it selling that much and more."
    The unwise engineer- "We released a soon to be underpowered console and have not either ensured games come out or made them ourselves"
    "you are fired"
    One that can think on their feet- "Maybe there is marketing confusion in that the plebs do not know the Wii U is not just another addon piece of junk"
    "Watch your tongue: those addons paid for my third mansion... but you are right, the boys in naming did a bad job... again. Now it is up to us"
    Jenkins- "I have a mailing list of confirmed Wii owners"
    "Jenkins you are a genius"

5. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
    I'm actually quite stunned by how little television advertising there has been for the Wii U. The DS, Wii and 3DS were all over the TV, but the Wii U is curiously absent. Whilst that may be in direct relation to games worth advertising it does seem odd that they think a message like this will work. It's probably fair to say that if you don't know about the Wii U then your Wii is sitting unused in a corner or you're 5.

6. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Nintendo marketing used to be unflappable. Now look at it.

That message should have been communicated last November.

7. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    I voiced my concerns about the Wii U's naming sometime before, citing that it may repeat the mistakes of the 3DS's namesake causing brand confusion.

Rydian likes this.
  8. YamiHoshi.nl

YamiHoshi.nl I'm MKGirlism.

May 23, 2011
    Tokyo
    Meanwhile, "Buy a Wii Mini!".
    While promoting the Wii Mini: "Fuck Wii, get a Wii U!".

GameWinner, kehkou and yuyuyup like this.
  9. NightsOwl

NightsOwl Pays For Avatar Art (For some reason)

Jul 8, 2012
    United States
    Oh, Nintendo. How funny you are.

10. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    I already have the Wii
    where can I buy the U? :unsure:

It's even funnier when you realize that U is the first letter of Upgrade :lol:

11. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    brand confusion is a terrible explanation for anything. its also the reason why apple is allowed to harrass a german cafe called apfelkind (applechild) for using a logo that looks like an apple http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4672/apfelkindlogo.jpg
    because you're obviously going to want to buy the new iphone and instead buy 700€ worth of coffee mugs instead.

anyone who knows about videogames or who cares about videogames knows that a wiiu is not a wii, or that a 360 is not just a spinning xbox.

though i dont really see the problem of advertising their new console on their old console, they should have done that twice a week for the last year. to make sure everyone gets that buying a wiiu will stop the messages.

RodrigoDavy likes this.
  12. RupeeClock

May 15, 2008
    Never underestimate consumer ignorance.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=192150

We the invested gamers know, but we're in the minority, a large number of people that got Wiis got the system for board-game appeal and to play Wii Sports.
    A lot of people thought that the 3DS was just the same DS but with an added 3D gimmick, because that's what was primarily marketed, the 3D effect.
    Likewise people think the Wii U is just a Wii that comes with that tablet controller, not knowing it's a new system altogether.

13. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Is this some sort of joke?

The "all-new home console"? It's been out for nearly half a year now! Worse...the wii owners are very likely exactly the people who know that the wiiu ISN'T a wii upgrade (I really wonder how they got that idea :rolleyes: *). And they either found out because they follow what nintendo is doing, or they had tried to buy some wiiu game to find out that it doesn't work.

I wonder what the next messages will be like...

"Go out and buy a wiiu now! Get rid of this piece of junk and get a console of this generation while you still can!"
    "yes, we know there aren't many wii releases this year. It means you should get a hint and buy a wiiu already"
    "This message is sent out because of the numerous confused mails we've received about the wiiu. It is a new console. No, its gamepad will not come to the wii. No, there will be no more wii releases. Again: no, it's NOT the same console or an upgrade. This one has a 'u' at the end, which signals it's completely new. And finally: no, we will not fire the person who came up with the name. Please stop bothering him about it."

*credits to NahuelDS for pointing out the u for upgrade.

14. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Nintendo's advertising team should be FIRED. Oh, the naming guys, too. Even "Nintendo Cappuccino" would've been a better name than "WiiU".

I mean, I still get customers asking:
    "I want that new Luigi game on my DS"
    "It's for 3DS"
    "I have a DS"
    "But it's a 3D game, for 3DS"
    "Can I play it on my Nintendo DS without the 3D? I don't care about the 3D"

Which is caused from the WAY too similiar names.

air2004, Cyan, BAHIM Z 360 and 9 others like this.
  15. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Woah woah woah stop the presses! The Wii U isn't an upgrade for the Wii? Bullshit :angry:

16. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    People who would buy a Wii Mini probably can't afford a Wii U anyway. And the Wii Mini has been out for less than a month, I doubt the owners would be interested in getting a new console a month after buying the previous one.

Wizerzak likes this.
  17. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    So... that's why my Wii was glowing last night lol.

Seriously, this was a stupid move by Nintendo. I'm surprised that the damn included link actually worked. Here's the issue. Nintendo is about to nix the message board and the Nintendo Channel. -um, stupid move Nintendo! The reason why I like the Nintendo Channel these days is because it makes me "jealous". Whilst I'm super hyped over my coming Ouya, I still find myself watching Wii U and 3DS clips on the Nintendo channel and saying to myself, "hmmm, I can see myself enjoying this game on said consoles". How can you advertise to current Wii owners if you're taking away a really good advertising channel?

18. RupeeClock

May 15, 2008
    Reminds me of how Gameboy Advance games or Gameboy Color games would have appropriate warnings on the front and back.
    Super Mario Bros Deluxe (GBC)
    http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/8/5/0/198850_50499_front.jpg
    http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/8/5/0/198850_50499_back.jpg

Super Mario Advance (GBA)
    http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/7/7/2/457772_50773_front.jpg
    http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/7/7/2/457772_50773_back.jpg

Now if you look at New Super Mario Bros 2, no warning that this software is not compatible with the Nintendo DS.
    http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/8/1/9/667819_259043_front.jpg
    http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/8/1/9/667819_259043_back.jpg
    It does say "Plays on Nintendo 3DS systems sold for the Americas only." This is only concerning the region lock of the 3DS though, and doesn't mention lack of compatibility with the DS.

I want a Nintendo Cappuccino.

chavosaur likes this.
  19. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    If you think Nintendo's advertising team is bad, how bad must be Sony's advertising team for you? PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4...

20. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Sheesh, it's just getting worse and worse for them, isn't it?

In the paraphrased words of Mr. T, "I pity the U."

While Sony's certainly had its fair share of bad ads, I don't think they ever had to explain to people that, say, the PS2 and PS1 were totally different things. The name alone got that across pretty well; numbers are useful like that.