Thinking about selling my Wii U and getting a Wii for retro games. Any advice?

YukidaruPunch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've a Wii U and it's mostly connected to a tiny CRT TV and I use it for retro gaming. I don't have a lot of money, and I've been thinking about getting a cheap Wii (found one which looks good, has no Wiimotes but I've got them already) and selling my Wii U so I can still play my retro games and get some money as well. Ever since I discovered my notebook is able to emulate Breath of the Wild on Yuzu (which was the reason I'd bought the Wii U for) letting go of the system seems easier.

What should be I aware of if I'm changing my Wii U (which uses vWii) for a Wii? What are the upsides and downsides? I know that:

+ Real Wii can output 240p on Virtual Console, Wii U can't
+ Real Wii has better image quality than vWii on Wii U
+ Wii interface is just faster overall and the system is less cluttered than Wii U
- Wii U overclocks WiiSX and Wii64, BUT I honestly don't intend on using any of these at all since I can already emulate them better on my PlayStation Classic. The Classic can't do 240p for these systems but I can live with that
- No off-screen Gamepad support on Wii U VC injects and nintendont (doesn't really matter as I barely used it AND my intention is to play these retro games in the CRT after all)
- Wii can't emulate Nintendo DS (have a working 3DS and a DS Lite which I intend to refurbish)

Plus, I'll get some money which will honestly come in handy.

What else should be I aware of when it comes to retro gaming? What do I win or lose changing from Wii U to Wii? Does nintendont have any limitations besides not having Progressive Scan? My intention is mostly 16-bit era, GameCube and Wii. Any help is appreciated!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wii U has digital output (HDMI) by default. With TVs supporting analog input slowly disappearing this is a plus.
Wii U can do something one would not expect: Play Wii U games.

In terms of emulation the Wii is pretty much the same as the Wii U for me. Most of the time I prefer the Wii because: ease of use, quick boot, almost perfect brick protection for experiments. Didn't even bother modding vWii for most Wii U consoles.

But… getting rid of the Wii U? Something would be missing. I must be completely broke and VERY hungry to consider selling the Wii U.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
indeed. most modern tvs don't have component or composite inputs, just hdmi or mini-hdmi. kinda sucks. plus, a lot of modern tvs don't support low res like 240p. make sure yours can otherwise you'll have to buy equipment. I think you mentioned that in your op. I don't know if that's accurate or not though. it's usually psx and lower that use 240p.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Ya know? I was in a similar situation once about a decade ago. Wanted some extra cash, and didn’t need a console since I only played previous generation titles. Sold it, wish I didn’t. Do you NEED the money? Don’t answer if you don’t feel comfortable. Just something to consider.

Seems weird to me that an intentional downgrade is considered a better route. I am not in your shoes, though. Just my two cents.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I'm selling all my old systems for both money and the fact that I don't play 'em. they're all hacked or on an exploitable firmware. I want to do this while they're in good condition too. the thing could fail some day, and I wouldn't even know it probably. I have a ps2 with a working disc drive, which is kinda rare these days. it's very fast and works perfectly.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ya know? I was in a similar situation once about a decade ago. Wanted some extra cash, and didn’t need a console since I only played previous generation titles. Sold it, wish I didn’t. Do you NEED the money? Don’t answer if you don’t feel comfortable. Just something to consider.

Seems weird to me that an intentional downgrade is considered a better route. I am not in your shoes, though. Just my two cents.
Precisely.
Almost everything gaming related I sold over the years resulted in some kind of regret sooner or later. Much of the Nintendo stuff tends to get really expensive after some time. I bought so much late1990s and early 2000s from the (S)NES and GB(C) stuff – wish I bought everything triple or more. It was considered worthless, outdated junk back then. Looking at eBay prices for some of the consoles and games… I'm happy to have almost everything I wanted. Impossible to pay for all this now.

[…] the thing could fail some day,[…]
Good point! Sooner or later everything will become dust. With the Wii U we had our fair share of failures (NAND chips) recently on the forum.
In this regard: A bit of a gamble waiting for higher prices before selling.

With the old, less complex stuff I have the feeling one needs to use a big hammer to make them stop working.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Precisely.
Almost everything gaming related I sold over the years resulted in some kind of regret sooner or later. Much of the Nintendo stuff tends to get really expensive after some time. I bought so much late1990s and early 2000s from the (S)NES and GB(C) stuff – wish I bought everything triple or more. It was considered worthless, outdated junk back then. Looking at eBay prices for some of the consoles and games… I'm happy to have almost everything I wanted. Impossible to pay for all this now.

Good point! Sooner or later everything will become dust. With the Wii U we had our fair share of failures (NAND chips) recently on the forum.
In this regard: A bit of a gamble waiting for higher prices before selling.

With the old, less complex stuff I have the feeling one needs to use a big hammer to make them stop working.
I'm putting my pokemon, oled switch up on facebook marketplace in a few hours. I sold the original oled in less than a day on there. local picked up, no fees, unlike the ripoff that is ebay.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I'm selling all my old systems for both money and the fact that I don't play 'em. they're all hacked or on an exploitable firmware. I want to do this while they're in good condition too. the thing could fail some day, and I wouldn't even know it probably. I have a ps2 with a working disc drive, which is kinda rare these days. it's very fast and works perfectly.
Consolidating consoles is not a bad option, but I use what I have and try to not keep what I don’t.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Consolidating consoles is not a bad option, but I use what I have and try to not keep what I don’t.
being on disability and only get $609/month is a good motivator. however, I can't have more than 2 grand. next month will kinda be an expensive month with multiple games releasing too.

Reactions: Kioku

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You can do a lot of Wii stuff on a hacked Wii U, unfortunately you can't use Gamecube controllers and memory cards.

Always get a White Wii,clean it inside and outside, make sure the fan is working and replace the termal paste if possible.

Use https://gbatemp.net/threads/best-wa...i-for-windows-official-support-thread.207126/ once you get a Wii.

Don't get a Wii mini, while it can be hacked nowadays, it is an inferior product with several limitations.

SteffooM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've a Wii U and it's mostly connected to a tiny CRT TV and I use it for retro gaming. I don't have a lot of money, and I've been thinking about getting a cheap Wii (found one which looks good, has no Wiimotes but I've got them already) and selling my Wii U so I can still play my retro games and get some money as well. Ever since I discovered my notebook is able to emulate Breath of the Wild on Yuzu (which was the reason I'd bought the Wii U for) letting go of the system seems easier.

What should be I aware of if I'm changing my Wii U (which uses vWii) for a Wii? What are the upsides and downsides? I know that:

+ Real Wii can output 240p on Virtual Console, Wii U can't
+ Real Wii has better image quality than vWii on Wii U
+ Wii interface is just faster overall and the system is less cluttered than Wii U
- Wii U overclocks WiiSX and Wii64, BUT I honestly don't intend on using any of these at all since I can already emulate them better on my PlayStation Classic. The Classic can't do 240p for these systems but I can live with that
- No off-screen Gamepad support on Wii U VC injects and nintendont (doesn't really matter as I barely used it AND my intention is to play these retro games in the CRT after all)
- Wii can't emulate Nintendo DS (have a working 3DS and a DS Lite which I intend to refurbish)

Plus, I'll get some money which will honestly come in handy.

What else should be I aware of when it comes to retro gaming? What do I win or lose changing from Wii U to Wii? Does nintendont have any limitations besides not having Progressive Scan? My intention is mostly 16-bit era, GameCube and Wii. Any help is appreciated!

It depends on your needs but personally what makes Wii U beneficial for me is:
- Emulation of "newer" consoles like DS and - N64 through injection
- Native HDMI
- being able to play games semi handheld through the gamepad.
- wii u content in general

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Go wherever your love interests persists, but ...
Just think it through with logic & what will work best for you :)
Choose it because it has greater apps support & use of ease. Your sanity depends on it.
Having your cake & eating it too, can be stressful & enjoyable ;)

List of "yes" & "no" ticks should determine the direction you will want to go. Snap !! ;)

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
No, a WiiU might be better just because it's probably the last "hybrid" console to support both Analog and Digital video signals.
A wii, will only accept component cables as "digital output" but compared to HDMI it's worse.

Besides, a WiiU has a better CPU which makes RetroArch and N64 games run better and increases compatibility than a regular Wii.

Take advantage of it.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, a WiiU might be better just because it's probably the last "hybrid" console to support both Analog and Digital video signals.
A wii, will only accept component cables as "digital output" but compared to HDMI it's worse.

Besides, a WiiU has a better CPU which makes RetroArch and N64 games run better and increases compatibility than a regular Wii.

Take advantage of it.
I honestly love my Wii U. Has a powerful CPU nearest to the Switch, has a good variety of games, and most importantly... supports original Wii games. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Lol