Nintendo message Wii owners about the Wii U; "it's an entirely new system."

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Christ almighty!!! It has nothing to do with the fricken name!!! It is an expensive underpowered system, hence the low sales.

Name confusion! Really? Does Ninty think all westerners are fucken stupid.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo marketing used to be unflappable. Now look at it.

That message should have been communicated last November.

Exactly this: it should have been rolled out in the run up to Christmas, virtually every week as some form of countdown via the Wii messaging system, starting in, say, September.

Oh well.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Christ almighty!!! It has nothing to do with the fricken name!!! It is an expensive underpowered system, hence the low sales.
I think the biggest problem is the NOGAEMS.
You'd be surprised/shocked/appalled at the number of people who can't understand why they can't play PS2 games on the Wii. "It's a thing you plug into the TV, what do you mean they're not all the same?" So yes, people are... uninformed, to put it diplomatically.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sigh... you're all idiots, you know that, right? Well, not ALL of you. Some people are decent enough... Most of you though are being jackasses about this.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The WiiU has no relevant games in any region, that's right, even the Japanese 3rd party developers don't want to make games for the system, it's the modern equivalent to the Casio Loopy.

Reactions: BAHIM Z 360

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I really think it is an unfortunate name "Wii U", there are so many who doesn't realise that it isn't just a redesign of the Wii. My sister (who is a lot older than me) had a really hard time grasping why a 3DS game wouldn't work on her daughters DS Lite. Now, the sales person at Game told her that it would work, but that the 3D effect would disappear, so I guess that confused her even more.

But the fact that they send this message out to wii users? What about it? I think it's perfectly fine!

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reminds me of how Gameboy Advance games or Gameboy Color games would have appropriate warnings on
Now if you look at New Super Mario Bros 2, no warning that this software is not compatible with the Nintendo DS.
http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/8/1/9/667819_259043_front.jpg
http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/8/1/9/667819_259043_back.jpg
It does say "Plays on Nintendo 3DS systems sold for the Americas only." This is only concerning the region lock of the 3DS though, and doesn't mention lack of compatibility with the DS.
Funny thing is, the people at my Walmart (you know where this is going), are now REQUIRED to ask people if they realize those aren't Nintendo DS games because too many people were confused about DS/3DS differences. I found this out when I bought NSMB2.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Or maybe they wanted to use a familiar and reassuring name and not scare them off with something new and unexpected like Razor or Shrike or Deathbox 3000.
Super Nintendo, N64, Gamecube, Wii... Yeah, Nintendo really likes scary-sounding games like BloodBathBox 666 and are highly apt to choose a new name that scares people itself!

Oh wait, no, people would just be unsure because the name is !!!DIFFERENT!!!, not that the name itself is inherently angry-sounding.

You haven't actually read this thread, have you? Yes, most people DO confuse the two, and it DOES impact sales.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Believe me, working in retail is where you get the funniest shit.
I work the electronics desk at target sometimes and I'll never forget when this BIG black lady and her son came up to the desk.
Her: Do you do returns here sir?!
Me: No ma'am, returns are done at the service desk, may I ask what you need help with?
Her: I bought this damn game here, and it don't work on my sons Gameboy.
Son: It's A DS mom!
Her: BOY SHUT UP AND LET ME TALK
Me: (amused) May I ask what the problem was?
Her: WELL, y'all's damn department never took the security tab off the game!
Me: (confused) well let me take a look at the game, an ill see what I can do.
(Hands me a 3DS cart of Luigis Mansion Dark Moon)
Me: Uh ma'am, this is a 3DS cart.
Her: Yea... What's yo point.
Me: So it does not work on a Regular DSlite.
Her: NU-UH, don't gimmie dat shit, it says DS on the box, so it's a DS game, it'll work on a DS, just take off that security tab right there!
Me: Ma'am that's not a security tab, that's just a part of the cart to differentiate between a DS game and a 3DS game.
Her: BOY, I ain't dealin with this shit, don't be lying to me now, just do what I asked you.
Me: (slightly annoyed now.) Allow me to show you ma'am.
(Pulls 3DS out of pocket and pops Cart out of slot)
Me: You see ma'am, this isn't a security tab. It's a part of the game, all 3DS games look like this. And a 3DS is COMPLETELY different from a regular DS. Notice the cameras and other added features? It's an entirely new entity.
Her: ... Well Damn then, y'all need some different advertising or some shit, call it something else, take that DS out of the title or some shit.
Me: Well ma'am, we don't call it that, Nintendo gives the names, we just sell them.
Her: WELL TELL THEM THEIR NAMIN PEOPLE NEED TO MAKE SOME BETTER MUTHAFUCKIN NAMES THEN.
(Storms off)
... I'll do that.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So far all the advertisement effort (this and couple Wii U ads showing families playing party games) are all targeting casual gamers.

Seems to me like Nintendo gave up on hardcore audience.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So far all the advertisement effort (this and couple Wii U ads showing families playing party games) are all targeting casual gamers.

Seems to me like Nintendo gave up on hardcore audience.

The thing is Nintendo is fucked no matter what.

They go casual: "Nintendo is all casual, they need hardcore games!"
They bring out hardcore games: "Nintendo needs to do casual to increase their sales"
They go back to casual: "Nintendo has given up on the hardcore audience"

Nintendo seriously can't catch a break at all.

But imo, this is a great idea. It should have been done sooner. People still think that the WiiU is just an Add-On and they play their Wii's. They see that blinking notification, click on it, "Oh wait, you mean WiiU is a new console? WTF WHY DIDN'T ANYBODY TELL ME!"

Now if only Nintendo can take the money they saved from E3 and flood the TV with ads.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Nintendo 3DS should of been called, the Nintendo Mii 3D or The Nintendo 3D or The Nintendo Mii.

The Wii U should of been called the Game Rectangle or The Nintendo HDs, short for the nintendo home dual screen. The s purposely smaller to give it a double meaning. Or it should of been called The Nintendo H2S (home two screens)

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The average customer does not care about the power of the system but they do care about the price tag so I'll give you that.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo should cut their losses and pull a "Virtual Boy", so to speak. quietly put this in the back closet and make a system that will stand up to the competition if the want the core gamers back without the 'Wii' branding. Yeah it will definitely piss off the early adopters (like it hasn't already), but that's the price they pay for shooting themselves in the foot like that.

The average customer does not care about the power of the system but they do care about the price tag so I'll give you that.

You're right. They don't. They care about good games. Nintendo should know that the developers (the ones making the games) really care about the power of it so it still rebounds back to the consumer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1