Nintendo Forecasting 17.76 Million Switches by March 3rd 2018

^5AA601C487ABCD9694BB7779AA1274446C8D141B7EE3D0C1A4^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Nintendo expects to have shipped 17.76 million Switch units by March 3rd 2018, on the console-handheld-hybrid's 1st birthday. [prebreak]1[/prebreak]

Currently, the global Switch hardware sales sit at 14.86 million units, with software sales at 52.57 million units.

Capture.PNG

"For the nine months ended December 31, 2017, the Nintendo Switch hardware sold well following the launch and sales volume rose substantially during the holiday season. For the Nintendo Switch software, SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY was released in October and has been a big hit, with global sales reaching 9.07 million units. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, released in April, has sold 7.33 million units, and Splatoon 2, released in July, has sold 4.91 million units, bringing to 8 the total number of million-seller titles for this fiscal year including the titles of other software publishers. The result is that hardware sales during this period totalled 12.13 million units, and software sales volume totalled 47.10 million units."

Very impressive for such a short time on the market, but can Nintendo really shift another 3 million units in just 2 months?

:arrow:Nintendo Sales
:arrow:Nintendo Switch Financials PDF

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can someone give me numbers other than switch only number
I need to compare it to other consoles
For example,iirc, the best seller console was the playstation 2, but how much did it sale in its first year?
Do you think switch could over sale the ps2 within its lifespam

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can someone give me numbers other than switch only number
I need to compare it to other consoles
For example,iirc, the best seller console was the playstation 2, but how much did it sale in its first year?
Do you think switch could over sale the ps2 within its lifespam
The PS2 sold almost 20 million its first year.
No, I don't think any current system could over sale it within its lifetime.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The PS2 sold almost 20 million its first year.
No, I don't think any current system could over sale it within its lifetime.
why not?
like if ps2 attracted too many noob who didnt know shit about video game, compared to right now, peoples are aware of video game danger?

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
why not?
like if ps2 attracted too many noob who didnt know shit about video game, compared to right now, peoples are aware of video game danger?
I think this post explains things good enough, but in short, times were different, DVD movies were not only the new thing but very relevant, movie streaming didn't exist, etc:
Yeah I am under no illusions that the Switch will attain PS2 or DS levels of sales. The PS2 was a double whammy back in 2001 since it could play DVDs. A DVD player back then was $500+ but a PS2 could play games AND DVDs for half the price. Of course this lead to may of the units burning up and needing replaced with one of the revisions but who cares, people loved it. The DS was revolutionary in terms of showing how touch screens can be more than just a gimmick for games.

The Switch has the console on the go gimmick but we will see if its enough to push its sales.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I really think Nintendo is selling you the console for portable use, where the joycons excel, with the option to use it temporarily as a home console with the joycons but expecting you to get pro controllers if you're going to use it like that for a long time.

And regarding the pro controllers, they're great, I don't see reasons not to buy them, specially given those beautiful collector's editions like Xenoblade 's or Splatoon's. Sure I'm piling them up.

well I would NOT buy this brick for portable use at all, even my smartphone sometimes feels to big and heavy when I use it to long.
If I would buy it than 99% to play at home, and I somehow miss the commercial saying its supposed to be mainly portable ...

And as someone said already the pro controller are way to expensive, if you would buy them inly because they look good you must have way to much money -.-V

It is like Nintendo trying to squeeze out every little cent from their customers.
They should just make a stationary switch that is not portable and add a pro controller :/

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ve bought a lot of games for the switch so far and honestly, I thought it was gonna be gimmicky at first but I really enjoy the portability that the switch has to offer. Reminds me a lot of back in the day LAN parties but modernized now and they can be done anywhere. I run into more people playing it then I did with my 3ds. Once smash bros comes it’ll be awesome

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
well I would NOT buy this brick for portable use at all, even my smartphone sometimes feels to big and heavy when I use it to long.
If I would buy it than 99% to play at home, and I somehow miss the commercial saying its supposed to be mainly portable ...

And as someone said already the pro controller are way to expensive, if you would buy them inly because they look good you must have way to much money -.-V

It is like Nintendo trying to squeeze out every little cent from their customers.
They should just make a stationary switch that is not portable and add a pro controller :/
Sorry for your loss.

PS: I mean, that you find it too big to carry it around. It is giving me a very good time during commutes tbh.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

OldSchoolTech

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Looks like I picked the right time to actually buy a Nintendo console so. I bought it at launch and literally the first time I ever bought a console on launch day. Literally the first Nintendo console I EVER purchased brand new apart from the GBA and DS. I have a SNES, NES, N64, GAMECUBE and Wii all bought second hand but I've never owned a Wii U. My brother has one but there wasn't really enough going for it. I like the Mario games on it but any other non exclusive game people were gonna play on the Xbox one or PS4 over the Wii U. The original Wii done well but the Wii U was just released a bit too late in the game tbh and it had to heavily rely on exclusives. Same goes for the fact that not everyone even wants if for exclusives.

The switch though is completely different. The fact that it's so portable is what makes it good so that you can play a game you like on the go. Certain games still won't hold up because of the power difference especially with the Xbox one x for example, but what can you expect from such a small system. I've seen people's stupidity like oh the Xbox is better or the ps4 is better... We know it's better but can you pick up your ps4 and just play it on the go? Exactly.

I have an Xbox one x and a PS4 and a PC that makes a show of the PS4 but I still like the switch and have the consoles for exclusives.

The fact that you can Dock the switch and play it the same as a console of you want to is just amazing imo. I even bought Rayman Legends again and it's pretty cool to have the option to play it on the go at 720p which looks decent on a screen that size to be fair. I agree there's nothing definitive about it but it's still a brilliant game especially having to option to play on the go.

So anyway the whole point of this really long post was just to say I think it's a great little device and it's not about the power of other devices people compare it to. You're not gonna fit a titan or 1080ti into the thing or manage cool down a coffee lake CPU in that little case people :D

Last edited by OldSchoolTech,

vpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless the switch starts getting some new, exclusive games it's going to end up crashing and burning.
I still only have one switch game, I refuse to buy Wii U ports i already have and old 360/PS3 ports or downgraded current gen games.
I got a PS4 pro after my switch and already have 20+ PS4 games, exclusives only as well as I'm primarily a PC gamer.

OldSchoolTech

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Unless the switch starts getting some new, exclusive games it's going to end up crashing and burning.
I still only have one switch game, I refuse to buy Wii U ports i already have and old 360/PS3 ports or downgraded current gen games.
I got a PS4 pro after my switch and already have 20+ PS4 games, exclusives only as well as I'm primarily a PC gamer.
Let's hope they do. Surely they learned from their mistake not to make the same one, especially after a first year like this surely not. The Wii U hadn't got enough good games on it for anyone to have any interest in it and for some reason they expected it to sell anyway. This is where they need to release lots of decent games and not just backwards compatibility, though I would like a few backwards compatible games they can't rely on that alone otherwise we could have just kept the older consoles.

vpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's hope they do. Surely they learned from their mistake not to make the same one, especially after a first year like this surely not. The Wii U hadn't got enough good games on it for anyone to have any interest in it and for some reason they expected it to sell anyway. This is where they need to release lots of decent games and not just backwards compatibility, though I would like a few backwards compatible games they can't rely on that alone otherwise we could have just kept the older consoles.

Yeah, we can only hope.

I want the Switch to succeed, but if they carry on this way I see the hype dying off fast.
The competition is generations ahead.
The Switch needs unique, quirky, original games, something that sets it apart.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It has been getting new exclusive games almost from day 1: ARMS, Splatoon 2, Mario Rabbids, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, etc.

Do you mean "unless it stops getting new exclusive games" or what?

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: osaka35

Polopop123

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
why not?
Unless something as standard at home ,like a DVD player was back in the day, excusicely to one console and is cheaper than other ones then it’ll beat the PS2. Doubt it for dedicated game consoles without a niche like the PS2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated