Nintendo Direct - February 9 - Chrono Cross remaster, new Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC

It's time for a Direct. Sit down, get your hype train tickets ready, and let's see what's going on at Nintendo.

First revealed is a new Fire Emblem Warriors game, based on Three Houses. It's titled Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes. It features Dimitri, Edelgard, and Claude. June 24, 2022 launch. Takes place in the same universe as Three Houses.

Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp gets some new footage. Voice acting for all the characters is available. There's a fast forward button and a turn reset for when you make mistakes. You can create custom maps, or battle friends with your army over online and local multiplayer. April 8 launch.

No Man's Sky is coming to the Switch. Summer release.

Mario Strikers Battle League is the revival of the Mario Strikers series. A violent soccer game where you can decimate your foes with electric fences, power ups, and tackles. This game has equipment you can give to your characters. Hyper strikes now require you to grab an orb on the field. You can score two goals at once. It has up to 8 player multiplayer. Online play is available, along with a ranked mode. You can create a soccer club with your friends to play against other ranked teams. Launches June 10.

Splatoon is up next. There's a new boss. You can throw eggs into a goal net to win. Splatoon 3 Salmon Runn: Next Wave. This is the new co-op mode for the upcoming Splatoon game. The game still lacks a solid release date, but will be out this summer.

Front Mission 1st is a remake of the SRPG Front Mission. Releases this summer as well. Front Mission 2 is also getting remade. The first game is from the Super Famicom.

Next is a Disney themed racing kart game. Mickey, Mulan, and Sully are in the game. Each character has special power ups and karts. Disney Speedstorm.

Star Wars the Force Unleased. Has enhanced motion controls compared to the Wii version. Launches April 20th.

Assassin's Creed The Ezio Collection is also headed to the Switch. All three of the ACII trilogy is included. Has Switch exclusive features like HD rumble and touch screen controls. Launches Feb 17.

SD Gundam Battle Alliance lets you play as three mobile suits and fight bad guys. It has online co-op. Launches this year.

Chrono Cross is getting remastered for the Switch. Includes the text based Radical Dreamers game. April 7 release.

The new Kirby game has some new footage. Now Kirby can use mouthful mode where he doesn't fully absorb things, but can still use them. Like eating a car and driving a car-Kirby around, or consuming a vending machine. You can take exisiting copy abilities and make them better by expanding their range and power. March 25.

MLB The Show 22 is on the Switch.

Kingdom Hearts is coming to the Switch, but only as cloud streaming versions. Tomorrow.

Klonoa is back. A remaster of both 1 and 2. Launches July 8th.

Portal: Companion Collection. Has both Portal 1 and 2, with 2 having online and local co-op. Available this year.

Live A Live is also getting a remaster. This is the first time it's coming to the west. It's in HD 2D like Octopath. July 22.

Wii Sports is getting a sequel. Switch Sports has tennis, bowling, chambara, and three new sports: soccer, There's a shootout mode. Badminton. Volleyball, too. Local and online. Random matchmaking is a feature as well. April launch, with a free update coming out later that offers golf.

There's going to be an online playtest for Switch Sports from Feb 18-20.

The new Taiko no Tatsujin is headed west and onto the Switch. Megalovania is in this game and the Zelda theme. There's new concert mode for four players at once. There's also a VS mode. Taiko Rhythm Festival is out this year. You can pay monthly to access over 500 songs.

Triangle Strategy has some new story content to show. There's a demo that goes up to chapter 3, and your progress will carry over to the full game.

Cuphead's Delicious Last Course DLC will be on the Switch, adding a new playable character and new levels on June 30th.

Metroid Dread is getting a one-hit mode. Dread Mode and Rookie Mode are coming to the game. Launches today. A further update adds a boss rush mode, coming April.

Switch Online is getting something new. EarthBound. EarthBound Beginnings, too, which was previously only on the Wii U in the west.

Zombie Army 4, GetsuFumaDen, Demon Slayer, LEGO Brawls, Two Point Campus. All third party upcoming games.

Mario Kart news. Paid DLC is coming to MK8 Deluxe, featuring older games' courses. Coconut Mall is shown. Booster Course Pass has 6 waves of new courses, 8 in each courses, launching through 2023. $24.99 for the whole pass. It's free for Switch Online Expansion users.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is the final reveal. September 2022 launch.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Klonoa games tend to hold its value so hopefully there'll be enough for everyone on the Switch.

Unless Nintendo pulls that digital "limited edition" bs, but Bandai (think it's the publisher still with the rights) won't do that shit.
I do hope it sells well enough to give Bandai-Namco the get-go to make a new game... but I don't wanna get my hopes up, mh.
Hopefully nowadays the game won't be, like, ignored like it was ages ago on the ps1 for being a "kiddie game" or what, seeing how many cutesy-looking game are quite famous nowadays.

And hopefully not, but if Bamco does some bs like that, then fuck all of them, ugh.
They just asking for Klonoa to go back to being forgotten.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

vaugerbird

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had zero expectations going in, but I'm really happy about seeing more about Splatoon 3 and that Wii Sports is coming back. (Also fingers crossed for mushroom gorge to make an appearance at some point in 8 Deluxe :creep:)

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome. Finally, Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series!!!!! And Cuphead's Delicious Last Course DLC, Metroid Dread three mode are what I am after. That's it.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do hope it sells well enough to give Bandai-Namco the get-go to make a new game... but I don't wanna get my hopes up, mh.
Hopefully nowadays the game won't be, like, ignored like it was ages ago on the ps1 for being a "kiddie game" or what, seeing how many cutesy-looking game are quite famous nowadays.

And hopefully not, but if Bamco does some bs like that, then fuck all of them, ugh.
They just asking for Klonoa to go back to being forgotten.
It'll be multiplatform though you might be right.

The only thing sorta missing is that volleyball game (could be included as a bonus).

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone seems excited about the new MK8D content, but aren't they forgetting something like new karts/characters, too? It already has a lot as it is though long time players will get bored of trying 'em all. I know, folks have their "main" as it is.

That's what this is missing, imo. I'm not going to support this, I'll wait for Switch "2" with an actual new MK game (I'm not in a hurry).

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The only thing sorta missing is that volleyball game (could be included as a bonus).
Oh dang, Klonoa Beach Volleyball was another fun game from my childhood <3
A simple but very fun volleyball game, ahah, yeah, would be cool if they maybe added it too

Actually, now that I think about it, there's a japan-only GBA RPG Klonoa game that would be fantastic if maybe they translated and added as a bonus, heh

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This was such an good direct, I'm looking forward to the MK8 DLC and Xenoblade.
I loved Strikers back then but this looks just okay imo, Nintendo played it too safe and "clean". The predecessors were always grimy and edgy and this seems to have been lost. Xenoblade 3 looks like a mix of 1 and 2 art direction wise and the main character designs look so much better than what I had to endure during 2.
Also Chrono Cross finally getting an proper rerelease is awesome news.

Reactions: Xzi

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
This is one of the best directs in terms of RPG gaming i've ever seen...let's see what has been announced;

Chrono Cross Remaster
Live a Live 2DHD Remaster with Official English translations for the first time
Mother 1/Earthbound Zero and Mother 2/Earthbound added to Nintendo Online
Fire Emblem Musou 2
Xenoblade fuckin' 3

Yeah, i'm gonna say they started this year's directs really fucking strong, I'm hyped, i had a shitty day today but this makes up for it.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
On that note, I think Sony might actually still be printing copies of Chrono Cross for PSX, since I bought it new a couple years ago.
Well if nobody puts it on cartridge for Switch, I hope it at least comes to the PS4/5.

Reactions: Xzi

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Portal and force unleashed! I think I just like ports
I like the idea of having a lot of those portable, yeah. So No Man's Sky is a big (and pleasant) surprise, but Force Unleashed indicates Aspyr will probably be announcing KotOR 2 in a few months, and that's the one I'm most excited for. While KotOR 1 is alright for a licensed game (bland crpg in the 3D Bioware vein, so extremely bland to begin with), the quality of which got somehow blown out way of proportion over the years, KotOR 2 is the real gem, albeit rough in spots (and straight-up aborted in others).

I'm a bit disappointed they didn't announce a date for the Shadowrun trilogy - makes me think we'll be waiting for that one quite a bit. Also nothing on Pillars of Eternity 2 which is just weird at this point. Either cancel it or release it - after the state they left PoE1 in I just don't believe they've been pumping money into 2 all this time. I need closure, I suppose.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fuck yeah Portal bilogy! It's been on my hypothetical wishlist for a handheld port for years but I didn't think Valve would actually do it. If you haven't played them, check them out, first game is short but brilliant, but second is an epic masterpiece.

I haven't played any Klonoa games but I know they're well regarded, and these ports look pretty, I'll probably check them out.

Will probably still check out the Advance Wars games out of curiosity as I've also never played them before, this particular presentation didn't do much to sell me.

Kirby looking fun still, idk.

No Man's Sky looks pretty and kinda interesting (and I know it's meant to have improved profoundly since its original launch), I don't know if it'll be my cup of tea until I try it. Honestly more likely to try it now it'll be on Switch.

Didn't we already know about the Ezio collection? Was that a leak or something? IDK I haven't played any Ass Creed games yet.

Switch Sports is a bit of a lol, probably had my fill of that particular gimmick on the Wii, but who knows, if friends wanted to play it could be a giggle.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Fuck yeah Portal bilogy! It's been on my hypothetical wishlist for a handheld port for years but I didn't think Valve would actually do it.
Free money. I'm sure it's not a coincidence that this is happening close to the release of Steam Deck, since Valve have been putting more work into optimizing their games for portable hardware lately. It's also a good reminder that PC gamers who buy Deck won't have to re-purchase games they already own.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Positive that the MK8 DLC was designed by the Mario Kart Tour team if not directly ported, it's cool and I'll buy it but the textures and models are pretty low-budget and lazy like MKT

Portal 2 being on switch specifically means that most other source games will definitely be able to run since Portal 2 is based off of Source 2013 instead of the Portal 1 engine which held back the Nvidia Shield from being able to play anything other than early HL2 mods. I fully expected them to only port over the Nvidia Shield version when the trailer started, im surprised that they actually went the extra mile to get a newer version of Source running. I wonder if valve did this to show off the performance in comparison to the steam deck

Last edited by orangy57,
Reactions: hippy dave

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still think the wiiu should be included in the mario kart dlc, even though there’s a chance anyone that owns a wiiu owns a switch. Also this dlc should have been free.

Edit
I already have the expansion, does that mean I already have the mario kart dlc for free or not. What if the expansion expires, does that mean the courses go away and will cost $25 to get back. I know it’s like 48 tracks, so asking to give this free for everyone is not going to happen. Well this and I guess and some other announcements are going to be something to look forward to. I’m definitely getting switch sports.

Last edited by fst312,

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It says Chrono cross is up for preorder today... When and where? I want a physical copy.

Pretty sure it's digital only for now, eShop and Steam. Won't surprise me if Limited Run does some physical copies though.
Most of these digital only Square Enix titles end up with physical Asia region (not Japan) versions that include English language. You can import these from sites like Playasia or wait for Amazon Marketplace sellers to have them. I got Dragon Quest I, II, III Collection and SaGa Frontier this way.

Last edited by Glyptofane,
Reactions: godreborn and Jayro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/rMHTo4sAYKA?si=UTMogWR09JOPIPF_