ROM Hack Ninokuni: Shikkoku no Madoushi - Translation Project

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mrgone: Please do not use online translators. You're not exactly getting even near-correct translations that way.

as i am using it to translate single kanjis, i think i'm making pretty good progress.
also i'm most of the time transscribing the romaji also
so it can be corrected later

That's still not the proper way to translate. You need to know Japanese because of context. And as I told xuliko, you can't do squat if you don't know the dialect very well.

Romaji doesn't make things any easier, either.

xuliko

Trophies
XP
Country
Mrgone: Please do not use online translators. You're not exactly getting even near-correct translations that way.

as i am using it to translate single kanjis, i think i'm making pretty good progress.
also i'm most of the time transscribing the romaji also
so it can be corrected later

That's still not the proper way to translate. You need to know Japanese because of context. And as I told xuliko, you can't do squat if you don't know the dialect very well.

Romaji doesn't make things any easier, either.
You are right about dialect. But I think that "a bit of study" and knowing the context, I think that could adapt it, I guess.
If you have a friend who is native, I think that could be a big help for the translation or other option is to ask to my Sensei about dialects and
to see what tell me, I hope that he say some good.

Phoenix a question, do you want participate the translation? Are you doing right now other translations?

Greetings!

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are right about dialect. But I think that "a bit of study" and knowing the context, I think that could adapt it, I guess.
If you have a friend who is native, I think that could be a big help for the translation or other option is to ask to my Sensei about dialects and
to see what tell me, I hope that he say some good.

Phoenix a question, do you want participate the translation? Are you doing right now other translations?

Greetings!

Indeed it could. But the first step is knowing the dialect and the context. Translating Kanji by Kanji via machine translator is pretty terrible.
You can always join Japanese groups and ask them about the dialects. They have sites specifically for that.

Sorry xuliko, but I would prefer to have the game and the book before thinking about translating Ninokuni. I have other things to translate, as well.

I can only give advice that would make the translation of this game more accurate rather than butchered.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
wouldn't it be better to wait for the release of Ni No Kuni in America/Europe, so you can base your "translation" off that so it's coherent?

xuliko

Trophies
XP
Country
wouldn't it be better to wait for the release of Ni No Kuni in America/Europe, so you can base your "translation" off that so it's coherent?

In a spanish forum, Jefelin put a inquest which was "Do we wait the launch of ps3 version in 2013?"
The people voted "No", and Jefelin said that could keep with it.
If you want a perfect translation similtar to the ps3 version... we should wait un 2013... and not to do anything.

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland

In a spanish forum, Jefelin put a inquest which was "Do we wait the launch of ps3 version in 2013?"
The people voted "No", and Jefelin said that could keep with it.
If you want a perfect translation similtar to the ps3 version... we should wait un 2013... and not to do anything.

Well, if you ask me, he could do the job now and see where he arrives with the translation till 2013.
I believe that it is easier to adapt/correct the translation with the PS3 version as do a new one.

greator

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Well it is easier to use PS3 US version as a base.

But there's something that you dont understand, that fans cant wait.
Nobody want to wait till 2013 for the translation and then probably another year later to program it into DS.

By the year 2014 nobody touches NDS anymore.

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland

Nobody want to wait till 2013 for the translation and then probably another year later to program it into DS.

Well, I just remember you that the 2 games have not really much in common, they are 2 different stories so I don't know what you really can use as a base.

xuliko

Trophies
XP
Country

Well, I just remember you that the 2 games have not really much in common, they are 2 different stories so I don't know what you really can use as a base.

I think that both games are different, I don't undersantd if the objects, attacks, names... etc... will be changed in the U.S or EUR release.
I am now seeing the names of characters, I am putting "Oliver, Mark...", that names aren't japaneses... xD

You are right, I think when the ps3 version releases that I think is different to the version NDS. It could do a correction with reference to Ps3 version, but is going to be worse that we will wait no to do anything than to translate the game of any way.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
There definitely are some similarities between the DS and PS3 versions.

[yt]IGX5r7CAijQ[/yt]
[start watching at 3:43]
[yt]TyWAkOsW3fc[/yt]
[start watching at 4:54]
I have heard that the beginning of the game (in terms of plot) is very similar between the two versions, but at some point the plot diverges into separate storylines.

Shinintendo

Trophies
Website
games4gamer.net
XP
Country
Iceland
Even in the beginning of the ps3 game there is a ghost girl with green hair, on the ds she doesn't appear at the start (if at all).
Much more stuff in the ps3 is not present on the ds, expect many differences.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: 1 person

xuliko

Trophies
XP
Country
Someone in gamefaqs did a great job in translating the game .
http://www.gamefaqs....doushi/62085555
Thanks I have been seeing and I think that this serves as reference to game, not to the dialogue.
Anyway, thanks ^^, I'll speak with the responsible of this walktrought.

Oh, yes... I almost forget.
Pleonex is going to finish the tool, but he wants to add a complement to translate the names of chracters, for example in the xml, it repeats "Oliver",
when the the tool checks the name in japanese (Oliver) in the tool will put "Oliver" but the names must be transcripted o tranlsated before ;) so,
I think that I will put a list. (Only characters in box dialogue with their name.)

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Aw come on, if you need an online translator, that just mean you don't know Japanese so why bother ?
Densetsu already proove the point that using Online translator is horrible.

As a translator, you should:
  • be able to actually read and understand everyday Japanese WITHOUT using an online translator or dictionary (in other words, have a functional knowledge of kanji (400~500 characters minimum) and at least intermediate-level grammar)
  • know how verbs are conjugated in Japanese (be familiar with all conjugations, including causative, passive, conditional, etc.)
  • know how to look up kanji by radicals if you can't read a particular kanji off-hand (including knowledge of counting strokes and stroke order)
  • have excellent grammar, writing and editing abilities (especially in the target language--usually English)
  • play through the entire game before translating (absolutely crucial for context)
  • use Firefox (for rikaichan)
  • (recommended) have some familiarity with Kansai-ben and other Japanese dialects

Edit: also that:
DO NOT call yourself a "translator" or say that you're "translating" if you can't read this image, or don't at least know enough about radicals to look up the kanji in this image. It makes you the translator's equivalent of a script kiddie.
What does it say ? I'm asking this to you Xuliko

xuliko

Trophies
XP
Country
I am not using google translate... I am doing a japanese course... I am studying since five months and I know that must learn more...
Anyway... I'll say to pleonex that I'll leave the translation. and he stops to do the tool.
One thing I neve translate literal... But many persons prefer the ps3 version because It's official... but good...
I am sad... and I am angry...dissapointed...

EDIT: We'll wait in 2013 until the ps3 version releases ad it do a "copy and paste"... not "translation", "COPY and paste" for a good translation without mistakes.
Before I said that when releases the ps3 version... it could correct the mistakes and adapt it with ds version...

Greetings

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I am not using google translate... I am doing a japanese course... I am studying since five months and I know that must learn more...
Anyway... I'll say to pleonex that I'll leave the translation. and he stops to do the tool.
One thing I neve translate literal... But many persons prefer the ps3 version because It's official... but good...
I am sad... and I am angry...dissapointed...
I wasn't talking about you using google translate, but to the guy from gamefaqs.
Also PleoNex is not working on it "just" for you so I don't see why he should stop it x)

And many persons would like to " wait & see " the PS3 version, before actually translating to keep a certain degree of consistency to the game.
Quit if you want but you can always translate THEN fix what you think needs it when the PS3 ver. will be out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7