AihanKaidan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where are you ordering from like "hmv.com?"
It's hmv.co.jp.
I'm alright with Kansai-ben and can generally understand what Shizuku is saying, but I think the translation of his lines would be better left to someone who's just as comfortable with it as they are with standard Japanese.
Yeah, in game, if I can hear him, I understand better. I can get what he's talking about, but I always have these moments where I think I'd be so lost putting this into English. Just him, though. Haha. I've never really dealt with Kanai-ben before.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
On the topic of full out game translation...is there a way to isolate some sort of in game text file in the game itself? I've never messed around with translating games before, so I just can't wrap my head around how it could possibly be done. Other than that, I'm kind of pants at Kansai-ben, so I would be little help in translating most anything Shizuku says...aside from the bare bones basics.

same here

xuliko

Trophies
XP
Country
I think that Pleonex had done a text editor for Ninokuni, but he says that he wants to fix and upgrad it, it means more comfortable. But now pleonex is upset because tinke tool is fixing bugs.

Jefelin and me we will keep the translation, but we need people that knows japanese, I know something the japanese but not so much... to translate a videogame.
Personally, I don't mind that people around world join in the team, for example, franch, italian, english (american, britain), spanish (spain, latin), German, and other languages, I always like the work in team ;) and very differents person in other countries ;), it would be funny ;)

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i don't know any japanese, so i can only help translating to english (you know, because they might translate it to spanish first)
As was previously said, we need a direct Japanese to English Translation; not a Japanese to Spanish to English translation.
but it's not bad to have volunteers

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i don't know any japanese, so i can only help translating to english (you know, because they might translate it to spanish first)
As was previously said, we need a direct Japanese to English Translation; not a Japanese to Spanish to English translation.
But they could work together to translate both in their language from Japanese, helping each other on different text interpretation.
Japanese -> English
Japanese -> Spanish
Japanese -> etc.

and make a multi-language project translation patch (multiple patches) released at the same time. ;)
Like Ni No Kuni for PS3, it will be a multi-5 at release date!

Of course, each members should understand Japanese to help each other, and it could slow the progression of all the other languages if one translator stop working on it. But I guess it could be great to work on the same project in multiple languages, so town/character/items names have a consistency over each language.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Like Ni No Kuni for PS3, it will be a multi-5 at release date!
optimism, that's good, but it would surely be separate patches

i checked the ds rom, it's 459 mb stripped
does this mean we have 53 mb spare space to fill with the script ?
i already expect that the script in english is much larger than in japanese

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i checked the ds rom, it's 459 mb stripped
does this mean we have 53 mb spare space to fill with the script ?
i already expect that the script in english is much larger than in japanese
Take the japanese out of the rom / put the translation in.
Usually it's 4/3 for a translation. So no it's not 53mb of space, also do you think size really matter when talking about more than 5mb ?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You are not limited by the chipset size as it's not stored in a ROM chipset (read only memory) anymore.
I don't know if the DS is capable of addressing only the 4Gbits or if it's only a physical chipset size limitation.

On lower chipsets size, you can increase the game to any size by translating it and are not limited by the 2x multiple. For example Nanashi no Gamu 64MB becomes 65.5MB after patching it.
I even remember Snes game being 96Mb after translating while the maximum chipset size was 64Mb.

You will have to try and see if a greater size is a problem or not for the console.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Usually it's 4/3 for a translation. So no it's not 53mb of space, also do you think size really matter when talking about more than 5mb ?
ah, ok, cool

You are not limited by the chipset size as it's not stored in a ROM chipset (read only memory) anymore.
I don't know if the DS is capable of addressing only the 4Gbits or if it's only a physical chipset size limitation.

On lower chipsets size, you can increase the game to any size by translating it and are not limited by the 2x multiple. For example Nanashi no Gamu 64MB becomes 65.5MB after patching it.
I even remember Snes game being 96Mb after translating while the maximum chipset size was 64Mb.

You will have to try and see if a greater size is a problem or not for the console.

i think they said somewhere that 4gbit is the total limit for a ds game. (like 32 mb for gba)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The total limit for DS games, or for DS cartridges?

Well, maybe for games. because if the console could read 4Gb+ games, I guess they could have manufactured 8Gb cartridges.

pleonex

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
The maximum size is 4GB because a FAT entry is 4 bytes -> 32 bits, 2^32 = 4GB.
In this game, there is a folder named "demo", some of its files are used but another not (I think).

Well, I have started again with this game. I have been debugging it in order to know how to parse the script files and now I know it. I'm almost redoing my script editor becuase it only works with the first script :P . Now it's opening every script, I have to do a function to export to XML or text file (what you prefer) and import again. I don't know how many time it will take for me.

By the way, the images can be translated using Tinke and the subtitles of the movies (normal text files) too. The fonts are normal NFTR files so can be edited too (with NFTRedtir, iirc they give problems, so tinke can be used too :D ).

So there a lot of stuff to start, but we need a coordinator, specially if we are going to translated the game to more than one language.

Reactions: 1 person

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
how about collecting the jobs that need to be done.
and please be patient with me, i have never done something like that.
helpful hints are always welcome.
- book translation
- text extraction
- text translation (japanese -> anything western, preferrable english)
- text reinsertion
- video subtitle extraction
- video subtitle translation
- video subtitle reinsertion
- does the game have an english font? or is one needed?
- picture editing

Reactions: 1 person

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The video thingy, they are in text form in a file so it's not technically a video extraction.
Just sayin' ^^

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The video thingy, they are in text form in a file so it's not technically a video extraction.
Just sayin' ^^
but it should be a different format than the rest of the script, right?
subtitles need timing
I don't have much knowledge about programming and all, but shouldn't it be quite possible that the timing of the subtitles and the text are stored in different files? Like, the timing file says "at 00:03 load text001 ends 00:06" (I know I've seen stuff like that when fiddling around with PC visual novel game files) - but quite possibly the timing might need to be edited as well, as some translated parts might be longer and need to be split into two scenes or stuff like that.. or they need to be shortened to fit the timing. ^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Tt5J7AfCK6E?si=g4dGzOkhACLJAovM