Next Xbox said to house GPU 6x more powerful than current gen

darkranboria

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If true, yeah I'm with you and also only 20% better performance over the Wii U!! Now that's shocking.

It's not shocking that the Xbox is 20% better, it's shocking that the Wii you is only 17% worse.
Nintendo stepped up their graphics big time considering it's 5x as powerful as an xbox when their current gen console is only about half as good.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, nintendo launched an underpowered console once so everyone think it'll be like that forever :s
:lol:

Next-gen system far outperforms current expectations, Develop source claims
Next-gen system far outperforms current expectations, Develop source claims

Nintendo’s next generation hardware will be roughly twice as powerful as Microsoft’s current system, the Xbox 360, according to a studio source speaking to Develop.
The person, communicating anonymously from a studio currently building a Wii U title, said the new Nintendo console could achieve roughly twice the processing and graphical potential of Microsoft’s current generation machine.
While twice the power of an Xbox 360 is broadly above market expectations, Develop’s source claimed this is in fact less than some studios had expected.
“I've heard [a project designer] complain it's underpowered compared to what Nintendo announced, resulting in people having to de-scale their plans,” the source added.
Nintendo’s persistence with non-disclosure agreements means that it has been difficult for Develop to cross-examine the source’s claim, which was made late last year.
However, yesterday a separate insider source told IGN that the next generation Xbox will be “six times as powerful” as its predecessor – the key addition being that this will mean it yields a “20 per cent greater performance than Wii U”.
That unverified calculation, if true, echoes claims from the Develop source who claims the Wii U is far more powerful than current expectations.
---
Develop also understands that a prominent UK racing studio has committed to support Wii U with one project each year.
If I'm understanding this right, the wii u was getting stronger since it's announcement.

Side note: Is spell checker not worker or is it something I somehow turn off by accident?

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country
20% more power than Wii U = 120% of Wii U power != 5x (500%) Wii U power

I have my doubts about this whole deal... I thought Microsoft and Sony were going to stick it out a few more years? Well, whatever. I just want good games. I don't really mind too much about the graphics power, as long as I get good games :)

EDIT: Wait, was I misreading that title? Is the Wii U supposed to be 5x the 360, making the Xbox 3 6x the 360? Damn that title is horrible. That's gotta get changed -_____-
How is 120% WiiU power 5x WiiU power?
Microsoft and Sony should stick it out for a while more yet...
"!=" means NOT equals. I was stating that 5x is not the same as 20% faster. Doesn't seem to matter now that the title has been changed though.
OK, there is a symbol, just so you know. ≠

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
opposite for me

i am buying it especially for the controller while the other do the same thing Nintendo is the only that seem to try new things

also you made the title more confusing

Except I don't want this new crap, I'm happy with controllers in their current state and gaming in its current state. And I certainly want less hardware "innovation" like motion controls. It can't compare to actual innovation in gameplay. It's more remarkable to make an innovative game out of a standard control scheme/hardware than make a regular game on "innovative" hardware.

One of the few moments I disagree with you so I'm saying, "bullshit!"

I have a hardcore love for gaming but I get turned off by hardcore play-styles. Gaming needs to turn into a medium that everyone can enjoy just as easy as Television, Movies, Books and Music. The GameCube controller was a great start by having all of the buttons on that controller feel different while having close to the same number of buttons found on other controllers. The Wii Remote and Nunchuck took it to the next level by giving you just enough buttons and coupling traditional gameplay with natural movements. While I see the Wii-U tablet as a small step back, I still believe in Nintendo's path of simplifying the entry level for gaming for the mass audience. I don't want to have to waste time thinking about which button is which (I.E. DualShock 3 controller) I just want to have fun with the game. Motion controls are on the right track. Go play some Skyward Sword if you think I'm wrong :yaywii:

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Innovative game+innovative hardware = :yay:

I just haven't really seen good "innovation" with this new hardware outside of like the WM+. I'll admit that games that Red Steel 2 and, yes, Skyward Sword do show a side of gaming that could not exist without the hardware but at this point people are more focused on shoehorning every aspect to new hardware than actually emphasizing on strong points and avoiding weak points.

I'll use Skyward Sword as an example. Sword control for the game is innovative. It's basically impossible with standard controls (well, possible but incredibly shitty). It works well for that. But they kind start shitting things up for putting it on "everything". It's not like they're terrible and break the game (although some of the controls are just downright terrible), but they basically shout "Hey, this is why people don't like motion controls!" to the player.

Pretty much all the Wii ports suffered from this. I could give a pass to gimped features and poor graphics but why would I play a game that forces me to use motion controls which are, in this case, highly inferior? It's the big trade off with "innovative hardware". You get some games that truly are innovative with the hardware but you overwhelmingly get more games that end up getting shit on by the hardware.

Oh, and rail shooters also benefited from the Wii, I'll give it that. Finally kinda revitalized the genre and brought it to the household without having to buy goddamn Duck Hunt guns. HotD Overkill, RE: Darkside/Umbrella Chronicles, Dead Space Extraction, etc etc. I'll at least tip my hat to the Wii for that, thank you.

I hate to bring up the Vita but at least a game like Golden Abyss took it in the right direction. You can play the game entirely with your standard set of buttons or you can use heavy amounts of touch controls. Or you can mix and match to use what's best for what.

The Kinect is probably the biggest victim of this whole issue. It alienated itself so much from traditional controls that there's no way for an effective middle ground. Plus it took away so many basic things that work the best in that situation (like analog sticks) that most of the games you're playing for it are heavily constricted. Like how many Kinect games are on rails or party games? How can you make an effective, say, platformer when you can't even control someone effectively. Now if you could like use a combination of the controller and the Kinect then that'd be cool. Like hold the controller in one hand only for analog control and then map combat or whatever to gestures and stuff.

I have a hardcore love for gaming but I get turned off by hardcore play-styles. Gaming needs to turn into a medium that everyone can enjoy just as easy as Television, Movies, Books and Music. The GameCube controller was a great start by having all of the buttons on that controller feel different while having close to the same number of buttons found on other controllers. The Wii Remote and Nunchuck took it to the next level by giving you just enough buttons and coupling traditional gameplay with natural movements. While I see the Wii-U tablet as a small step back, I still believe in Nintendo's path of simplifying the entry level for gaming for the mass audience. I don't want to have to waste time thinking about which button is which (I.E. DualShock 3 controller) I just want to have fun with the game. Motion controls are on the right track. Go play some Skyward Sword if you think I'm wrong :yaywii:

I don't think gaming needs a "medium". It's like saying they need to make the hoop larger for basketball so everyone can play. It's a hobby that some people like and others don't. Some people simply can't stand or even comprehend playing Magic the Gathering but they don't make the rules simpler for a "broader audience". It's not like gaming was in such decline that it needed a broader audience to succeed. The PS2 was wildly successful. It still sits at the top of the total sales chart without even caring for large amounts of casual appeal. It's remembered pretty much purely for its games that didn't appeal to casuals. Even then, they've had broader appeal for years, it's called "easy mode".

I also don't think the Wii really brought casual appeal to the people. It was advertised well so many people got it but I know families who wouldn't touch an Xbox that own a Wii and lemme say, it's an effective dust magnet. Hell it's not even remembered for its "casual" games. Go up to any Wii diehard and ask them what good games are for the system and they'll say "Super Mario Galaxy and its sequel, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Donkey Kong Country Returns, etc". Games that only have casual appeal in their bright graphics and their ineffective "Super Guide" system which I still believe is completely useless. What fun is it to suck at a game so bad that you basically have someone do it for you? It's not like a puzzle where you can figure out what goes where by watching them play it, it's a game based on skill. You can't just learn to have quicker reaction times by watching someone good do the level.

tl;dr: Innovative hardware is only good if people realize it's not good for everything and use it towards actual innovation... Which all depends on the software so innovative hardware is only innovative because of software. So innovative software > innovative hardware by a hundred times.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Innovative game+innovative hardware = :yay:

I just haven't really seen good "innovation" with this new hardware outside of like the WM+. I'll admit that games that Red Steel 2 and, yes, Skyward Sword do show a side of gaming that could not exist without the hardware but at this point people are more focused on shoehorning every aspect to new hardware than actually emphasizing on strong points and avoiding weak points.

I'll use Skyward Sword as an example. Sword control for the game is innovative. It's basically impossible with standard controls (well, possible but incredibly shitty). It works well for that. But they kind start shitting things up for putting it on "everything". It's not like they're terrible and break the game (although some of the controls are just downright terrible), but they basically shout "Hey, this is why people don't like motion controls!" to the player.

Pretty much all the Wii ports suffered from this. I could give a pass to gimped features and poor graphics but why would I play a game that forces me to use motion controls which are, in this case, highly inferior? It's the big trade off with "innovative hardware". You get some games that truly are innovative with the hardware but you overwhelmingly get more games that end up getting shit on by the hardware.

Oh, and rail shooters also benefited from the Wii, I'll give it that. Finally kinda revitalized the genre and brought it to the household without having to buy goddamn Duck Hunt guns. HotD Overkill, RE: Darkside/Umbrella Chronicles, Dead Space Extraction, etc etc. I'll at least tip my hat to the Wii for that, thank you.

I hate to bring up the Vita but at least a game like Golden Abyss took it in the right direction. You can play the game entirely with your standard set of buttons or you can use heavy amounts of touch controls. Or you can mix and match to use what's best for what.

The Kinect is probably the biggest victim of this whole issue. It alienated itself so much from traditional controls that there's no way for an effective middle ground. Plus it took away so many basic things that work the best in that situation (like analog sticks) that most of the games you're playing for it are heavily constricted. Like how many Kinect games are on rails or party games? How can you make an effective, say, platformer when you can't even control someone effectively. Now if you could like use a combination of the controller and the Kinect then that'd be cool. Like hold the controller in one hand only for analog control and then map combat or whatever to gestures and stuff.

I don't think gaming needs a "medium". It's like saying they need to make the hoop larger for basketball so everyone can play. It's a hobby that some people like and others don't. Some people simply can't stand or even comprehend playing Magic the Gathering but they don't make the rules simpler for a "broader audience". It's not like gaming was in such decline that it needed a broader audience to succeed. The PS2 was wildly successful. It still sits at the top of the total sales chart without even caring for large amounts of casual appeal. It's remembered pretty much purely for its games that didn't appeal to casuals. Even then, they've had broader appeal for years, it's called "easy mode".

I also don't think the Wii really brought casual appeal to the people. It was advertised well so many people got it but I know families who wouldn't touch an Xbox that own a Wii and lemme say, it's an effective dust magnet. Hell it's not even remembered for its "casual" games. Go up to any Wii diehard and ask them what good games are for the system and they'll say "Super Mario Galaxy and its sequel, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Donkey Kong Country Returns, etc". Games that only have casual appeal in their bright graphics and their ineffective "Super Guide" system which I still believe is completely useless. What fun is it to suck at a game so bad that you basically have someone do it for you? It's not like a puzzle where you can figure out what goes where by watching them play it, it's a game based on skill. You can't just learn to have quicker reaction times by watching someone good do the level.

tl;dr: Innovative hardware is only good if people realize it's not good for everything and use it towards actual innovation... Which all depends on the software so innovative hardware is only innovative because of software. So innovative software > innovative hardware by a hundred times.

I disagree that gaming is simply a hobby. It's a form of entertainment and one that has beaten movies on multiple occasions. As a form of entertainment it is up to developers and hardware manufacturers to create experiences that everyone can get into. As much as motion control is hated by the so called "hardcore" crowd, it has a place in gaming. In regards to the Wii-U, the tablet controller has a place in Nintendo's strategy. I'm surprised that nobody has realized that Nintendo is stepping back into the "family computing" arena (biggest example trying to get iOS devs to bring software to the Wii-U tablet) while keeping their feet firmly on their gaming base. Traditional controllers will always have their place with gaming's base but things like touch screens, track pads, Kinect, PlayStation Move an Wii Remote Plus are important to the future of the industry.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I disagree that gaming is simply a hobby. It's a form of entertainment and one that has beaten movies on multiple occasions. As a form of entertainment it is up to developers and hardware manufacturers to create experiences that everyone can get into. As much as motion control is hated by the so called "hardcore" crowd, it has a place in gaming. In regards to the Wii-U, the tablet controller has a place in Nintendo's strategy. I'm surprised that nobody has realized that Nintendo is stepping back into the "family computing" arena (biggest example trying to get iOS devs to bring software to the Wii-U tablet) while keeping their feet firmly on their gaming base. Traditional controllers will always have their place with gaming's base but things like touch screens, track pads, Kinect, PlayStation Move an Wii Remote Plus are important to the future of the industry.

Hobbies are like word for word "forms of entertainment". It's just kinda fact that gaming is a hobby. It doesn't demean it or anything, it's just what it is.

And I find going all out on casual appeal and core appeal is kinda like having two feet on two different pillars that are slowly moving apart. In the end you'll just end up with a split nutsack and no one will be happy. Core devs don't want to develop for a system with too much casual appeal. Visa versa with casual devs. Besides, casual gaming seems to be moving away from buying $50 games to buying $1 app games. That's something Nintendo certainly won't be able to cover.

Reactions: 1 person

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hobbies are like word for word "forms of entertainment". It's just kinda fact that gaming is a hobby. It doesn't demean it or anything, it's just what it is.

And I find going all out on casual appeal and core appeal is kinda like having two feet on two different pillars that are slowly moving apart. In the end you'll just end up with a split nutsack and no one will be happy. Core devs don't want to develop for a system with too much casual appeal. Visa versa with casual devs. Besides, casual gaming seems to be moving away from buying $50 games to buying $1 app games. That's something Nintendo certainly won't be able to cover.

Your post just made me say "ouch!" XP

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"
    Sylvester Stallone should have played Kyle Reese lol Arnold still as the Terminator
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    TF DOES "CUTTY" EVEN MEAN?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I thought Cutty was a west coast rapper
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cutter
    Dr Cutty
    It's from House MD lol