1. 15,870

Front-page

Xbox 720, Xbox Next, finally, the speculation behind the next Xbox console name has ended, with today's reveal of Microsoft's next-gen game system. Once called Xbox: Project Scarlett, a trailer shown off at The Game Awards has unveiled the console as the Xbox: Series X. The controller and system were shown together briefly, with the console looking a lot like a desktop PC tower, while the controller itself has more pronounced shoulder buttons and a new d-pad. Hellblade 2: Senua's Saga was also revealed for the system. 15 first-party developers will be making games for the system's launch.

2. Discussion (250 replies)

3. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Maniac

Italy
    The visuals in the trailer looked good, but personally I can't help but feel that the reveal was a bit underwhelming. I was hoping for more. At least there's a disk reader, that'll make those physical copy guys happy.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  4. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, they're certainly trying something different with that design. Makes you wonder why pretty much all of the consoles in the past 30 years were basically just rectangles.

Edit: I just realized that people might start calling it the Xbox SX. That would be pretty ironic given TX's fame in the original Xbox days and the fact that their most recent line of products are all "SX." Maybe its slogan will be "Rocking the console market in 2020 and beyond!". :P

5. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

United States
    That is about the ugliest piece of hardware I've ever seen. I guess it does live up to the "box" title, though. :lol:

6. IncredulousP

IncredulousP GBAtemp's Resident Bastard

United States
    Just stop microsoft....

7. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Looks like a low-end PC tower :lol:

8. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

United States
    This is the closest xbox has ever been to being a literal box here is hoping they fix that with a slim/elite/lite version at some point

MAXLEMPIRA likes this.
  9. JFizDaWiz

JFizDaWiz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    oh cool, let's pretend I wanted this....welll....it sure are shit isn't going to fit under my TV or in the entertainment stand I have, so that's great.
    this isn't a PC, make it horizontal, not vertical!

it does look cool, i will admit that, but it's a console, primarily for TVs, it should be able to fit into most stands, not some. my PC is next to my stand because of course it won't fit but where is this SUPPOSED to go?

10. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps.
    Senior Editor

United States
    Man, that's some heavy competition.

..Not for the PlayStation 5. I mean for the Wii U and the Xbox One. Now they have a competitor for one of the worst console names I've seen.

souhukyafod, Lycanroc, Henx and 26 others like this.
  11. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Canada
    it's literally 2 gamecubes stacked ontop of eachother

12. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

United States
    I can see the memes in my head already

13. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    May as well throw Windows on it and call it the Xbox PC

14. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    I like the idea and the design personally, making it basically a PC in all but name is fine by me, especially when it basically is at this point.

...but definitely not interested in it myself, seeing how they're probably going to port all their first party titles to PC (and on Steam, no less), so that whole platform will be a hard pass for me.

15. Xzi

United States
    Yeah it's not so much an issue that it looks like a mini ITX tower, but even then there are a thousand less plain and boxy-looking options.

For example:

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

Or hell, at least include a handle:

[​IMG]

Silent_Gunner, MicmasH_W and Hanafuda like this.
  16. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

United States

if only it were.

I remember being at my friend Paul's, in Spring of '87 I think. We'd all just gotten back to school (undergrad) after Spring Break, and Paul was the first among us to get an NES so we all converged on his place. I remember we played SMB, RC Pro Am, and Prince of Persia that day. Those are the ones I remember, anyway. It was probably Saturday or Sunday before classes started back up, there was beer and bong hits going round, about 8 guys and a few girlfriends, a really good day. The graphics on the NES were mind blowing for us ... we'd seen better at the arcades, but not on a home system. For most of us then, the Atari 2600 was our last console, so yeah ... mind blowing it was. Someone said something like, "Just imagine, one day computers are gonna get so good they'll make video games that look like it's real. That's gonna fuckin' rule!" And everyone agreed, except Gary. "Nah. That'll suck." he said.

Gary was right.

17. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Microsoft be like, you bitched about the Xbone being a giant VCR?! Well, fuck you, take this!

18. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    I prefer minimalist designs for my hardware personally, I don't need fancy looking boxes with random ridges and edges that have no purpose other than to be "GAMING!!!" oriented.

It's likely the main thing I'll hate about the PS5, assuming all those "leaks" look anything like the actual console.

19. hug0-a7x

hug0-a7x GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Brazil
    PCFX :D

vincentx77 likes this.
  20. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

United States
    According to Microsoft, it’s backwards compatible with ALL Xbox consoles ever released which is a big win for people with big catalogues. Also, the D-pad from the elite controller is now standard which is nice for people who liked it. Only thing I’m not hot on is the name.

21. Xzi

United States
    It's a fine line to walk for sure, but I'd say stuff like PS4 and Switch manage to look minimalist without being uninspired and boring. Series X just looks like a square Alexa.

I hadn't looked up those PS5 leaks before, and yeah, that's definitely way over the top. I have a hard time believing it's real since it looks nothing like any of Sony's previous designs.

JavaScribe likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Microsoft, reveals, console