1. 9,022

Front-page
    Xbox_ShortBullets_JPG.jpg

The one and only head of Xbox himself, Phil Spencer, has revealed a wealth of new information for Microsoft's next-generation console: the Xbox Series X. The console has been confirmed to have a 12 teraflops of graphical performance, which is stated to be twice the power of an Xbox One X, or alternatively, eight times more powerful than the Xbox One. Additionally, players will be able to quickly pick their games up from a "suspended state", without having to wait through load screens, thanks to a new Quick Resume feature.

The new Xbox also promises more stable performance in games, and higher framerates. The console will support up to 120fps, and by using HDMI 2.1 the Xbox will automatically switch your TV or monitor to the best settings for gaming, including auto low latency mode, and a variable refresh rate, which will change the screen's refresh rate to match your current game.

As previously confirmed, the Xbox Series X will have backwards compatibility for all currently supported original Xbox and Xbox 360 titles, along with the Xbox One library. Unique to the new Xbox will be "smart delivery", which means users can buy a game for the Xbox One, and if they have an Xbox Series X, they'll get the new version for no extra charge. This feature is on a per-game basis however, with only Cyberpunk 2077 and Halo Infinite announced as part of the smart delivery program.

:arrow: Source

Hardline, Henx, aMp and 11 others like this.
  2. Discussion (129 replies)

3. Vorde

Vorde GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    It will be interesting to see what this console is capable of once it's out. Hopefully it won't be plagued by poor thermals like their 360 was, but it seems like they had it ironed out by the Xbox One :)

4. Godofcheese

Godofcheese Insane

Sweden
    Still very concerned with the ssd.
    If it's going to be soldered to the board, then we are going to have a bad day

Payne, wiewiec, Shadowfied and 3 others like this.
  5. proffk

proffk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This all sounds promising but its the exclusive games that sell a console which xbox one lacked this gen.

6. Vorde

Vorde GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    It wouldn't be bad if it also had a SATA port or M.2 port on the board somewhere

7. OldGnashburg

OldGnashburg Canadian Zoomer

Canada
    External Hard Drives exist, and external SSD's are hitting the market as well but less GB per $.

Kazuto_Zed likes this.
  8. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    Hope M$ won't commit same deadly mistake as they did with Xone this time.

BTW, did M$ confirmed both x360/x1 backward compatibility yet?

edit: okay NVM, i read the newz.

Last edited by leon315, Feb 24, 2020
  9. Godofcheese

Godofcheese Insane

Sweden
    But if that ssd dies, and it's needed to boot the system, there will be no way in repairing it

Payne, Kazuto_Zed, Pipistrele and 2 others like this.
  10. Vorde

Vorde GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    The problem with that thought is having to rely on the USB bus speeds being fast enough to carry data. Unless they build a high end northbridge onto the board to handle this kind of transfer speeds, it either won't perform well, or will be really inconsistent speeds.
    Internal is almost always best when it comes to storage options imo

11. Fugelmir

Fugelmir GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Project Spark was so cool. Cancelled. Fable Legends cancelled, Scalebound cancelled. Nothing exclusive in the works.

I'd rather buy Stadia TBH.

souhukyafod and JayMathis like this.
  12. ChibiMofo

ChibiMofo NPC Chibi-Robo for Wii needs a fan translation

Canada
    The unique experience of the Wii sold it. Exclusives really don't matter to most people. Xbox Live is so much better than any other similar offering and has been for a long time. People forget that the 360 outsold the PS3 outside of Japan. There's a lot of considerations that go into a console purchase. For me personally it really comes down to: Is it from Sony? If so, then no thanks.

Payne, yoyoyo69 and Axido like this.
  13. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Czech Republic
    Give us windows and it would be a great prebuild.

14. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    So is going to have a lot of stuff I don't understand. And that's supposed to make me want to buy it. Just to say that it makes your games look pretty and run smoothly... if you have the right tv for it. Does any of that make the games more fun to play? :ninja:

Payne and IncredulousP like this.
  15. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

Germany
    I really want this console to be successful, and IMHO that means that it should get games, all type of games, Steam level amount of third party games. I hope.

16. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    Microsoft to many x's in the name - get rid of the x at the end and call it the xbox series 1 least we kno wher we stand with the series tht way :lol: - change the name and I'll consider buying one

Last edited by DANTENDO, Feb 24, 2020
    IncredulousP likes this.
  17. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

Germany
    Yes, to be honest, fluidity and sharp graphics makes a game more fun to play, that is of course if the game was fun to begin with.

Fabian Schuchhardt likes this.
  18. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    Pretty is better than ugly and smoother is better than laggy and if you don't understand the other stuff start googling

Pipistrele likes this.
  19. Nobody_Important4u

Nobody_Important4u Just Another Shitposter

Poland
    Im not giving it much hope.

Payne, IncredulousP and souhukyafod like this.
  20. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    That's nice, I suppose. I won't bother with a SeXbox myself, since MS's exclusives will most likely be ported to PC anyways which is my preferred platform, but sounds like it'll be a half decent console. 120hz support is especially nice, I find it quite difficult to go back to 60hz games after upgrading to a 144hz monitor, definitely a worthwhile upgrade (depending on the game you're playing, of course).

KiiWii, Payne, tabzer and 4 others like this.
  21. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Belgium
    Sadly Nvidia is destroying PC gaming by their increased pricing on gpu's. PC gaming was taking over on the high end but high end pc gaming has become for most something they can't spend large amounts of money for so I do see Console gaming coming back if they maintain that 500 euro price range. Building a pc with what Microsof is offering now costs around 1500 Euro if you count an entire new built without using old parts and if they and Sony do decide to price it around 500 euro/ dollars we may see a shift happening again from PC gaming to Console gaming. It's all your fault Nvidia, with that price increase you've shot yourself in the foot once again. Heavy pc gamer myself but i can admit as a pc gamer thanks to nvidia it will start shifting back again to consoles. Yeah Nvidia has made tons of money with that price hike but future wise it will make them loose even more because of the shift back to console gaming. The reason Nvidia was making more bucks every single year was because PC gaming was becoming more popular by the day and now it will decrease again so in the end they'll loose more than what they earned by making that decision

Last edited by kumikochan, Feb 24, 2020
    Payne and btaggs like this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - teraflops, delivery, feature