The Xbox Series X will have a 12 teraflops GPU, quick resume feature, and "smart delivery"

Xbox_ShortBullets_JPG.jpg

The one and only head of Xbox himself, Phil Spencer, has revealed a wealth of new information for Microsoft's next-generation console: the Xbox Series X. The console has been confirmed to have a 12 teraflops of graphical performance, which is stated to be twice the power of an Xbox One X, or alternatively, eight times more powerful than the Xbox One. Additionally, players will be able to quickly pick their games up from a "suspended state", without having to wait through load screens, thanks to a new Quick Resume feature.

Next Generation Custom Processor: Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever powered by our custom designed processor leveraging AMD’s latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures. Delivering four times the processing power of an Xbox One and enabling developers to leverage 12 TFLOPS of GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) performance – twice that of an Xbox One X and more than eight times the original Xbox One. Xbox Series X delivers a true generational leap in processing and graphics power with cutting edge techniques resulting in higher framerates, larger, more sophisticated game worlds, and an immersive experience unlike anything seen in console gaming.

The new Xbox also promises more stable performance in games, and higher framerates. The console will support up to 120fps, and by using HDMI 2.1 the Xbox will automatically switch your TV or monitor to the best settings for gaming, including auto low latency mode, and a variable refresh rate, which will change the screen's refresh rate to match your current game.

• Variable Rate Shading (VRS): Our patented form of VRS empowers developers to more efficiently utilize the full power of the Xbox Series X. Rather than spending GPU cycles uniformly to every single pixel on the screen, they can prioritize individual effects on specific game characters or important environmental objects. This technique results in more stable frame rates and higher resolution, with no impact on the final image quality.
  • Hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing: You can expect more dynamic and realistic environments powered by hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing – a first for console gaming. This means true-to-life lighting, accurate reflections and realistic acoustics in real time as you explore the game world.
Immersion in an instant

The next console generation will be defined by more playing and less waiting. And when play begins, we know many gamers demand ultra-low latency to be as immersed and precise as possible. To this end, the team analyzed every step between player and game, from controller to console to display, and asked how we could make it faster.

• SSD Storage: With our next-generation SSD, nearly every aspect of playing games is improved. Game worlds are larger, more dynamic and load in a flash and fast travel is just that – fast.
  • Quick Resume: The new Quick Resume feature lets you continue multiple games from a suspended state almost instantly, returning you to where you were and what you were doing, without waiting through long loading screens.
  • Dynamic Latency Input (DLI): We’re optimizing latency in the player-to-console pipeline starting with our Xbox Wireless Controller, which leverages our high bandwidth, proprietary wireless communication protocol when connected to the console. With Dynamic Latency Input (DLI), a new feature which synchronizes input immediately with what is displayed, controls are even more precise and responsive.
  • HDMI 2.1 Innovation: We’ve partnered with the HDMI forum and TV manufacturers to enable the best gaming experience through features such as Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR). ALLM allows Xbox One and Xbox Series X to automatically set the connected display to its lowest latency mode. VRR synchronizes the display’s refresh rate to the game’s frame rate, maintaining smooth visuals without tearing. Ensuring minimal lag and the most responsive gaming experience.
  • 120 fps Support: With support for up to 120 fps, Xbox Series X allows developers to exceed standard 60 fps output in favor of heightened realism or fast-paced action.

As previously confirmed, the Xbox Series X will have backwards compatibility for all currently supported original Xbox and Xbox 360 titles, along with the Xbox One library. Unique to the new Xbox will be "smart delivery", which means users can buy a game for the Xbox One, and if they have an Xbox Series X, they'll get the new version for no extra charge. This feature is on a per-game basis however, with only Cyberpunk 2077 and Halo Infinite announced as part of the smart delivery program.

The next generation of game compatibility

The benefits of the next console generation extend in every direction, bringing greater visual fidelity and improved loading speeds to your existing gaming legacy, in addition to new games. We’re continuing our commitment to compatibility with Xbox Series X and investing in technology that makes game ownership easier across generations.

• Four generations of gaming: Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better than ever before. Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required. Your Xbox One gaming accessories also come forward with you.
  • Smart Delivery: This technology empowers you to buy a game once and know that – whether you are playing it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X – you are getting the right version of that game on whatever Xbox you’re playing on. We’re making the commitment to use Smart Delivery on all our exclusive Xbox Game Studios titles, including Halo Infinite, ensuring you only have to purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console they choose to play on. This technology is available for all developers and publishers, and they can choose to use it for titles that will be release on Xbox One first and come to the Xbox Series X later.
  • Xbox Game Pass: In addition to games from across four generations of consoles, our leading game subscription service, Xbox Game Pass, will continue to have our first party games, like Halo Infinite, included at their launch. We look forward to millions of you experiencing the Xbox Game Pass portfolio and immersing yourselves in a deep library of high-quality games, playing those you love now and also discovering your next great adventure.
A generation with players at the center

Xbox Series X is our fastest, most powerful console ever, designed for a console generation that has you at its center. This means a high-fidelity gaming experience enclosed in a quiet and bold design, with the ability to discover thousands of games across four generations, all with more playing and less waiting.

Whether it’s empowering amazing creators at our 15 Xbox Game Studios, fueling game discovery with Xbox Game Pass, or expanding what and where you can play with Project xCloud, Team Xbox stands for frictionless pathways between players and the best experiences our remarkable art form has to offer. Xbox Series X represents that same commitment for players who want immediate immersion in games that also look and feel better than ever.

We can’t wait to share more details about the new Xbox with you in the coming months.

:arrow: Source

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hope M$ won't commit same deadly mistake as they did with Xone this time.

BTW, did M$ confirmed both x360/x1 backward compatibility yet?

edit: okay NVM, i read the newz.

Last edited by leon315,

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
External Hard Drives exist, and external SSD's are hitting the market as well but less GB per $.
The problem with that thought is having to rely on the USB bus speeds being fast enough to carry data. Unless they build a high end northbridge onto the board to handle this kind of transfer speeds, it either won't perform well, or will be really inconsistent speeds.
Internal is almost always best when it comes to storage options imo

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This all sounds promising but its the exclusive games that sell a console which xbox one lacked this gen.

The unique experience of the Wii sold it. Exclusives really don't matter to most people. Xbox Live is so much better than any other similar offering and has been for a long time. People forget that the 360 outsold the PS3 outside of Japan. There's a lot of considerations that go into a console purchase. For me personally it really comes down to: Is it from Sony? If so, then no thanks.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Microsoft to many x's in the name - get rid of the x at the end and call it the xbox series 1 least we kno wher we stand with the series tht way :lol: - change the name and I'll consider buying one

Last edited by DANTENDO,
Reactions: IncredulousP

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So is going to have a lot of stuff I don't understand. And that's supposed to make me want to buy it. Just to say that it makes your games look pretty and run smoothly... if you have the right tv for it. Does any of that make the games more fun to play? :ninja:
Pretty is better than ugly and smoother is better than laggy and if you don't understand the other stuff start googling

Reactions: Pipistrele

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
That's nice, I suppose. I won't bother with a SeXbox myself, since MS's exclusives will most likely be ported to PC anyways which is my preferred platform, but sounds like it'll be a half decent console. 120hz support is especially nice, I find it quite difficult to go back to 60hz games after upgrading to a 144hz monitor, definitely a worthwhile upgrade (depending on the game you're playing, of course).

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Sadly Nvidia is destroying PC gaming by their increased pricing on gpu's. PC gaming was taking over on the high end but high end pc gaming has become for most something they can't spend large amounts of money for so I do see Console gaming coming back if they maintain that 500 euro price range. Building a pc with what Microsof is offering now costs around 1500 Euro if you count an entire new built without using old parts and if they and Sony do decide to price it around 500 euro/ dollars we may see a shift happening again from PC gaming to Console gaming. It's all your fault Nvidia, with that price increase you've shot yourself in the foot once again. Heavy pc gamer myself but i can admit as a pc gamer thanks to nvidia it will start shifting back again to consoles. Yeah Nvidia has made tons of money with that price hike but future wise it will make them loose even more because of the shift back to console gaming. The reason Nvidia was making more bucks every single year was because PC gaming was becoming more popular by the day and now it will decrease again so in the end they'll loose more than what they earned by making that decision

Last edited by kumikochan,
Reactions: Payne and btaggs

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over