1. 9,471

Front-page
    jpg.jpg

The next generation of gaming is rapidly approaching, and thanks to some new information supplied by Xbox themselves, everyone can now get a glimpse of what the future will hold. The full technical specifications of the Xbox Series X console have been unveiled, along with screenshots of tech demos of Minecraft and Gears of War 5 both utilizing the new graphical power of the console, details about backwards compatibility, and more.

Kicking things off, here are the full specs of the system:

The beefy Series X plans to aim for games with 4K graphics, and a framerate of 60fps, thanks to its 8 core AMD Zen 2 processor, coupled with a custom RDNA 2 GPU. Digital Foundry got to see the system in action early, even tearing down the console to its components, and going in-depth with some of the new features of the Series X. The nearly 30-minute video can be seen here.

We also have confirmation that Gears of War 5, which originally launched on the Xbox One, will be an "optimized" launch title for the Series X, with the next-gen version free to those who already own the game on the Xbox One. Where the game used to run at 30fps on console, it now can reach 60fps in cutscenes, after a few weeks of slight work on the port. Minecraft also was shown running on the system, with hardware-accelerated Raytracing giving the game a brand new look, with high-quality lighting effects.

XboxSeriesXTech_Inline6.gif
    Another feature discussed was the console's SSD. It'll be using something called Xbox Velocity Architecture, which will allow for "game-changing" load times, and the previously touted "quick resume", which lets players jump right back into their games instantly, even after you've updated, turned the system off and on again, or even unplugged it.

While it took a few years for the Xbox One to become backwards compatible with the Xbox 360, that won't be the case with the next-generation. The Series X plans to have games from the original XBox, to the 360, and the One all available to play, and even perhaps improved on the new hardware. Cross-generational multiplayer will also be a feature, as well as being able to bring save files of your backwards compatible games forward to the Series X.

Lastly, we got to see some new images that show off the controller and its textured bumpers, new d-pad, and the share button. The d-pad is a slight hybrid between the 360's and the One's, with a "dish" style that attempts to take the best from both controllers. The controller will also have low wireless latency, "shaving off precious miliseconds at every step of gameplay". Previously, a handful of limited controllers for the Xbox One offered textured triggers, and so will this gamepad, hopefully making the triggers easier to grip, with its raised bumps along the top.

Xbox2020_Cntlr_Hero_MKT_1x1_RGB.png Xbox2020_Cntlr_Dpad_MKT_1x1_RGB (1).png Xbox2020_Cntlr_Top_MKT_9x16_RGB.png Xbox2020_Cntlr_Trigger_MKT_1x1_RGB (1).png

The Xbox Series X is still slated for a Holiday 2020 launch.

:arrow: Source

Y0shII, KingVamp, Kopimist and 9 others like this.
  2. Discussion (133 replies)

3. JuanMena

JuanMena I make bad jokes all the time. Full sarcasm mode.

Mexico
  4. swabbo

swabbo Wot u doin readin dis m8?

"Memory Bandwidth 10GB @ 560 GB/s, 6GB @ 336 GB/s"

Typo right?

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Quick Resume sounds like a really nice feature, basically a kind of save states for a modern console which is neat.

Darksabre72 and kingtut like this.
  6. fluggy2003

fluggy2003 Member
    Newcomer

... that 1TB internal aint gonna go far ...

AceX, yoyoyo69, Karones and 4 others like this.
  7. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps.
    Senior Editor

United States
    [​IMG]

It's taken straight from the site.

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  8. OkazakiTheOtaku

OkazakiTheOtaku no thanks, I don't want a custom title

Japan
    Looks really good. I'm not an Xbox kinda guy but these cool features and specs will drive competition forward for the other consoles. I'm happy for Xbox fans as this looks really good.

IncredulousP and Red771 like this.
  9. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Can it show me a reason to buy it? :ninja:

10. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Looks like a really sturdy, well thought out design.

BTW, totally called it when I said this form factor was designed around cooling. Look at all that metal!

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  11. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps.
    Senior Editor

United States
    If only it had exclusives.

Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely loving the stuff Xbox is bringing to the table here, but if the PS5 comes even close, well...what's the point in getting an Xbox? The backwards compatibility is a huge draw for me, though, I suppose, given that the older games will perform better on the new system. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Sony has to offer.

12. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    Look at all tht pretty black space you could use it to graffiti yr username :D

andyhappypants likes this.
  13. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    You're forgetting whether this system and the Playstation 5 will even come out this year!

14. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    It looks like a heater, or a speaker bar. :blink:

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    A genuinely beautifully-designed motherboard - everything is sensible and where it should be. No funky shapes, no-nonsense. I would've preferred a standard NVMe bay on the back instead of weird cartridges, but other than that proprietary bit I like everything else.

wrettcaughn, Y0shII, Red771 and 7 others like this.
  16. Vi3trice

Vi3trice Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    No, there is a lot that's put aside for the system.

Foxi4 likes this.
  17. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It's better in almost every way than my desktop... that's not supposed to happen

felix.200, Patxinco and digipimp75 like this.
  18. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    Theoretically it's all shared memory, practically 10GB are GPU-optimised, 6GB is system memory, split into 2.5GB and 3.5GB for OS memory and game code respectively. A cost-saving measure, to be sure, but the sheer amount is more than enough to work with.

19. AlexMCS

AlexMCS GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    the video also clarifies it @ around 6:30.
    TOTAL Memory (the 16GB) includes the GPU memory.
    ACTUAL Memory is pitifully low IMO: 6GB, 2.5GB reserved for the system, 3.5GB for the games.
    The remaining 10GB are for GPU usage.

Edit: however, since it's unified memory, I suppose devs can allocate some of the 10GB for in-game usage as well.

Last edited by AlexMCS, Mar 16, 2020
    usernamecharlie likes this.
  20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    Pretty much. If the developer wants to use the fast memory for game code, they can choose to do so, which is nice. It would be better if *all* of it was fast memory, but hey - a lot of tasks really don't need high frequency memory and in fact benefit from slower, low latency memory. I assume that was the thought process here, cost savings aside.

JavaScribe likes this.
  21. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

United States
    Zen 4 is almost out and it's not even a Zen 3 chip... I don't have very high hopes for this thing. It's already outdated by mid-range PC standards. I am glad however, that they opted to go with an NVMe SSD over a slower SATA3 SSD. (The XBOne and PS4 should have come with a SATA3 SSD as standard.)

Last edited by Jayro, Mar 16, 2020
    Silent_Gunner likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - capabilities, controller, graphical