Next Xbox said to house GPU 6x more powerful than current gen

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
the way my isp works is i get a quota (60 gb) i can use a month and if i go over that they drop the speeds to 56k speeds.

With 60GB a month, and a minimum of 2Mb/sec to run Onlive, you'd get at most 66.666 hours for the month before they cut your bandwidth. That just for using OnLive, nothing more. :(

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
that's why it will prob never be available here there are bigger GB plans available but their really expensive. there's also a cheaper plan with 200 gb but only about 5% of the damn country can get it!

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's just 20% more powerful than the WiiU?

Looks like Nintendo can also win the "Hardcore Gamers Cake" this gen, then.

I hope so, maybe I'll be able to buy just a single console (which won't break down) next gen.

Reactions: 1 person

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

The next Xbox will ship to retailers in late October or early November of next year with six times the processing power of the Xbox 360, sources close to the project have told IGN.
Following initial reports from tech blogs Fudzilla and SemiAccurate, our sources have confirmed that mass production of the system's GPU will indeed begin by the end of 2012 but will not, however, be based on AMD's 7000 series Southern Islands GPU. Instead, the processor will be derived from the 6000 series, which was introduced last year. More specifically, it will be akin to the Radeon HD 6670, which offers support for DirectX11, multidisplay output, 3D and 1080p HD output. The chip currently has a market price of upwards of $79.99.

In real terms, the Xbox 720's raw graphics processing power is expected to be six times that of the Xbox 360 and will yield 20-percent greater performance than Nintendo's forthcoming console, the Wii U.
Developers are likely to receive development kits based on the system's final configuration in August. Projected pricing for the console was not provided.

http://uk.ign.com/ar...-as-current-gen
Header slightly copied from neogaf coz I like it. :)

I find this very hard to believe. The Wii U tech demo's alone showed that it's performance will be easily as powerful as a 6670 graphics chip. People seem to forget that Nintendo has their chips modified, and also that a 20% performance difference is like the difference between a 6670 and a 6850 in terms of AMD cards. The Wii U graphics specifications are unknown since the chip is custom designed, no one knows what the tech specs are and I doubt we will ever find out what they are since AMD seems to be pretty tight lipped about what exactly goes into a dedicated console graphics chip.

That said, when it comes to dedicated computer graphics cards, the 6670 sucks the fat one, it's low end, even my desktop has a faster graphics card.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
What? They're putting in a CPU capable of computing individual AI for 100 people at the same time, yet they're putting in a GPU that struggles to output DiRT2 at 1080p!?!
...in a Windows envioriment, which heavily slows down its performance. The same GPU will be performing much better on hardware that was specifically designed for it playing games that were specifically programmed to run using it.

20% better performance then WiiU? Maybe. But it will be the kind of performance difference you see in benchmarks rather then actual games.

Also, worst title ever. Please, edit that.
I can't edit my own threads. :P

What you said is true as well, isn't it a bit on the low side though for the next x-box? :/
If Microsoft placed a more recent GPU in the console, the price would skyrocket to the levels that would not be acceptable by potential buyers. The same issue was discussed on the WiiU thread.
Well, the Radeon HD 6770 is 4x-5x faster and costs only $20-$40 more.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I simplified the title a bit, the chips have been discussed rather thoroughly anyway and its in the main article anyway. The previous title was just a bit jumbled.

But I dunno what console I'll even go for next gen, I'm just thinking of saving my money and sticking to PC gaming for the rest of my gaming life span. Only issue is that I do enjoy the Xbox streamlining in some sense and its ease of local multiplayer. Maybe I'll stick with a Xbox and PC for the next couple of generations, provided Microsoft finally drops that ridiculous Xbox Live Gold crap. I get it, your online system is pretty awesome, but I'm paying like $5/month on top of whatever else I want to subscribe to (Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc) just to play online. At least pull a PSN+ and keep the basic features like online play for everyone but keep premium features like sales and other stuff for "premium" subscribers.

I probably won't be buying the Wii U at all next gen though. That controller is a huge dealbreaker.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I simplified the title a bit, the chips have been discussed rather thoroughly anyway and its in the main article anyway. The previous title was just a bit jumbled.

But I dunno what console I'll even go for next gen, I'm just thinking of saving my money and sticking to PC gaming for the rest of my gaming life span. Only issue is that I do enjoy the Xbox streamlining in some sense and its ease of local multiplayer. Maybe I'll stick with a Xbox and PC for the next couple of generations, provided Microsoft finally drops that ridiculous Xbox Live Gold crap. I get it, your online system is pretty awesome, but I'm paying like $5/month on top of whatever else I want to subscribe to (Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc) just to play online. At least pull a PSN+ and keep the basic features like online play for everyone but keep premium features like sales and other stuff for "premium" subscribers.

I probably won't be buying the Wii U at all next gen though. That controller is a huge dealbreaker.
Windows 8 can go on Xbox Live, which might mean it will be able to play Xbox games.
So just build your own powerful computer and you're set for ages.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

opposite for me

i am buying it especially for the controller while the other do the same thing Nintendo is the only that seem to try new things

also you made the title more confusing

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well well...
People, please stop comparing console graphics to PC graphics.
1. Console games are heavily optimized for the hardware they're using.
2. Games on consoles run only the game and the OS, not a shitfuckload of service you won't/don't need anyway.
3. Quoting (translated) .oisyn over at Tweakers.net:
.oisyn @ Tweakers.net said:
About the 3D API: Direct3D9 is supported, but with much shorter lines to the "driver" and with a tonne of features that enable you to directly manage the commands and resources. For instance, not "make a texture" followed by "put this data inside", but "here's my texture data". State changes are many times cheaper, on a console you can have 10 times as much draw calls per frame (says more about the shitty performance of a PC than the good performance of a console).

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

The next Xbox will ship to retailers in late October or early November of next year with six times the processing power of the Xbox 360, sources close to the project have told IGN.
Following initial reports from tech blogs Fudzilla and SemiAccurate, our sources have confirmed that mass production of the system's GPU will indeed begin by the end of 2012 but will not, however, be based on AMD's 7000 series Southern Islands GPU. Instead, the processor will be derived from the 6000 series, which was introduced last year. More specifically, it will be akin to the Radeon HD 6670, which offers support for DirectX11, multidisplay output, 3D and 1080p HD output. The chip currently has a market price of upwards of $79.99.

In real terms, the Xbox 720's raw graphics processing power is expected to be six times that of the Xbox 360 and will yield 20-percent greater performance than Nintendo's forthcoming console, the Wii U.
Developers are likely to receive development kits based on the system's final configuration in August. Projected pricing for the console was not provided.

http://uk.ign.com/ar...-as-current-gen
Header slightly copied from neogaf coz I like it. :)

I find this very hard to believe. The Wii U tech demo's alone showed that it's performance will be easily as powerful as a 6670 graphics chip. People seem to forget that Nintendo has their chips modified, and also that a 20% performance difference is like the difference between a 6670 and a 6850 in terms of AMD cards. The Wii U graphics specifications are unknown since the chip is custom designed, no one knows what the tech specs are and I doubt we will ever find out what they are since AMD seems to be pretty tight lipped about what exactly goes into a dedicated console graphics chip.

That said, when it comes to dedicated computer graphics cards, the 6670 sucks the fat one, it's low end, even my desktop has a faster graphics card.
I mentioned before that the 20% notion is questionable at best, and is likely just IGN taking the worst case scenario out of some old rumours from Game Watch Japan.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

Windows 8 can go on Xbox Live, which might mean it will be able to play Xbox games.
So just build your own powerful computer and you're set for ages.

While I'm still interested in the Wii U, I had recently upgraded some components in my computer like my video card, meaning I can now enjoy some of those games that require more power. I've begun building up my Steam library, and if I upgrade to Win8 and get access to XBox Live, I may end up going more PC for gaming. Still got my 3DS for my handheld gaming fill.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No evidence and IGN can be annoying so I will wait for the fact answer from microsoft. I believe that this is the next successor xbox just like Wii is to Wii U.. Not XBOX 720 the next generation. Sony already said that there is no PS4 at all.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft has been trying to get into the more casual market (With the Kinect and their focus on offering a wide variety of multimedia services through the 360), so I'd guess that they're looking to produce a competitively priced console that can be sold to a mass audience.

It is important to remember that none of this information has been confirmed officially. We're not going to know for sure until, at the very least, E3.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
opposite for me

i am buying it especially for the controller while the other do the same thing Nintendo is the only that seem to try new things

Except I don't want this new crap, I'm happy with controllers in their current state and gaming in its current state. And I certainly want less hardware "innovation" like motion controls. It can't compare to actual innovation in gameplay. It's more remarkable to make an innovative game out of a standard control scheme/hardware than make a regular game on "innovative" hardware.

Reactions: 1 person

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If GPU/CPU performance really meant anything to me maybe I would be excited.

Seems that's all new consoles have to offer, better graphics, or use with media that would allow better graphics. How about better games. Come out with a console that gives 6x better games (which shouldn't be too hard given some of the games I have seen this current generation) and then you get my money.

epicCreations.or

Trophies
Website
whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
20% more power than Wii U = 120% of Wii U power != 5x (500%) Wii U power

I have my doubts about this whole deal... I thought Microsoft and Sony were going to stick it out a few more years? Well, whatever. I just want good games. I don't really mind too much about the graphics power, as long as I get good games :)

EDIT: Wait, was I misreading that title? Is the Wii U supposed to be 5x the 360, making the Xbox 3 6x the 360? Damn that title is horrible. That's gotta get changed -_____-
How is 120% WiiU power 5x WiiU power?
Microsoft and Sony should stick it out for a while more yet...
"!=" means NOT equals. I was stating that 5x is not the same as 20% faster. Doesn't seem to matter now that the title has been changed though.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
opposite for me

Except I don't want this new crap, I'm happy with controllers in their current state and gaming in its current state. And I certainly want less hardware "innovation" like motion controls. It can't compare to actual innovation in gameplay. It's more remarkable to make an innovative game out of a standard control scheme/hardware than make a regular game on "innovative" hardware.
I respectfully diagree, I see the WiiU Pad as a combination of proven ideas from the past with a gentle nudge toward innovation rather than a complete wild-ass misfire like the waggle-plagued Wiimote.

I'll explain: First you have the standard and proven dual analog stick w/ control pad setup that has been used in many previous hardware generations -- it's integrated in the WiiU Pad if you notice and seems to be the default input method of the console.

Secondly, the Dual Screen w/ Touch i/o method, which was successful with the DS, has also seen a comeback with the WiiU Pad (with the added benefit of the bottom screen being independantly moveable and accelerometer enhanced.) I really don't see how the motion elements will interfere with sensible game design to the same degree as the Wiimote.

I think developers have learned their lesson and will use WiiU motion controls to enhance game design concepts rather than upend them. I'm not saying that you're wrong, but we'll see when the system hits. I'm excited. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In emulation overclocked FX chips makes a pretty big difference in frame rate