Next gen EA games will skip the Wii U due to Frostbite Engine

SSVAV

Lurker in space
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well anyway this conversation wasn't about console wars to begin with, it was about how McCommunist said:

When it comes to EA games, it seems Wii U owners will be starved of quality titles.

With any hope, other third party developers will storm the Normandy-esque beaches of the Wii U, liberating owners from a lack of games.

Now, the Wii and the DS survived and triumphed without so called "EA's quality titles" and had an expansive library.

With Sony on financial crisis, Microsoft to yet make a move, and most third party developers on the same wavelength of producing less titles per year to reduce costs, I don't see how Nintendo's situation right now is more dire than their competition, as they still made a profit after all.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hardly an insult, but whatever.
Look, I don't want to cause any hard feelings, all I'm asking for is for you to support your argument with some figures. I posted the number of releases and sales plus some commonly known N64 woes programmers had to deal with and the reasons why I think it failed in the grand scheme of things - you do your part and prove otherwise. Besides, even if it DID post profits, a console that has no (or very little) games to offer is still a failure in my book.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the Wii-U price plummeting it will almost be at price point where it can be purchased just to play a few stellar Nintendo titles. It just means most fans will need a second console.

EDIT: With hacks possibly on the way it will make a fun toy to play homebrew and EMUs on as well. Providing the hacks materialise it's almost worth the purchase now.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look, I don't want to cause any hard feelings, all I'm asking for is for you to support your argument with some figures. I posted the number of releases and sales plus some commonly known N64 woes programmers had to deal with plus the reasons why I think it failed - you do your part and prove otherwise. Besides, even if it DID post profits, a console that has no (or very little) games to offer is still a failure in my book.
But there were plenty of N64 games worth playing.
Mario 64
Star Fox 64
Ocarina of Time (widely regarded as best game of all time)
Majora's Mask
1080 Snowboarding
Shadows of the Empire
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Cruzin' USA/World/Exotica
Donkey Kong 64
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Fighting Force 64
Kirby 64
etc.

There are a bunch more that I didn't list, but I'm just gonna stop there because I've proven my point that there's more than mario, zelda, and whatever other game you said it was that comprised the entirety of the N64 library.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But there were plenty of N64 games worth playing.
Mario 64 <--Nintendo game
Star Fox 64 <--Nintendo game
Ocarina of Time (widely regarded as best game of all time) <--Nintendo game, also "arguable"
Majora's Mask <--Nintendo game
1080 Snowboarding
Shadows of the Empire
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Cruzin' USA/World/Exotica
Donkey Kong 64 <--Nintendo game
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Fighting Force 64
Kirby 64 <--Nintendo game
etc.

There are a bunch more that I didn't list, but I'm just gonna stop there because I've proven my point that there's more than mario, zelda, and whatever other game you said it was that comprised the entirety of the N64 library.
Not really, you haven't. If you want to start "List Wars", you're going to lose miserably - 84 out of the 386 N64 titles were Japan-exclusive, leaving you with a grand total of 303 European/American games - what do you think is the likelyhood that I'll find less good titles on the PSOne list than you will on the N64 list? I'd say your chances of going out of this one victorious are pretty slim.

I've also outlined an interesting trend on your list - a trend I call "First-Party Life Support" if you know what I mean.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Just localize Dragon Quest X already. (but with how Square Enix handled their 3DS titles I wouldn't be to hopeful about this).
Also, what happened to that Yuji Naka spiritual successor of NIGHTS, "Rodea the Sky Soldier" on the Wii?
Nintendo should go ahead and publish those.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Look, I don't want to cause any hard feelings, all I'm asking for is for you to support your argument with some figures. I posted the number of releases and sales plus some commonly known N64 woes programmers had to deal with and the reasons why I think it failed in the grand scheme of things - you do your part and prove otherwise. Besides, even if it DID post profits, a console that has no (or very little) games to offer is still a failure in my book.
It's called N64 nostalgia butthurt-ness. :D
I think it depends how you define the term "failure". I don't think people here realize that sale-wise and game library wise, it was a failure.

However, the N64 does have a certain legacy and a good share of games.
Which is mainly why N64 Nostalgia can make Ninty fans... well... I rather not say the word but I think you know what I'm saying.
For example: LoZ: Ocarina of time? Hailed as one of the best games of all time. Timeless classic, blah blah blah Super Mario 64 was the first 3D game ever (God knows it ain't but damn I have heard this many times)
In fact, pointing out the best games and their legacy will mostly be their argument, and yet it falls so short.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really, you haven't. If you want to start "List Wars", you're going to lose miserably - 84 out of the 386 N64 titles were Japan-exclusive, leaving you with a grand total of 303 European/American games - what do you think is the likelyhood that I'll find less good titles on the PSOne list than you will on the N64 list? I'd say your chances of going out of this one victorious are pretty slim.

I've also outlined an interesting trend on your list - a trend I call "First-Party Life Support" if you know what I mean.
Again, I'm not worried about the competition. Merely debunking the claim that mario, zelda, and goldeneye are the only games worth playing in the library. I don't play 2000 games per console generation. I tend to play somewhere around 30. There were more than enough quality N64 games to satiate my desires, including some of the best games ever made. I still regard Mario 64 as the best 3D platformer and would not have traded away that experience.

Reactions: gamefan5

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In fact, pointing out the best games and their legacy will mostly be their argument, and yet it falls so short.
That's the thing - I don't deny the fact that the N64 had some good games - it did! I like quite a few of them. Question is, how long can you rinse and repeat the same ten games over and over again? The console just didn't have a big release list and I don't think the selection in any way validated the purchase. It will forever be "the console with SM64, Zelda: OoT, Majora's Mask, Mario Party, Smash Bros., GoldenEye and Mario Kart" but that's it. There is nothing more beyond that.
Again, I'm not worried about the competition. Merely debunking the claim that mario, zelda, and goldeneye are the only games worth playing in the library. I don't play 2000 games per console generation. I tend to play somewhere around 30. There were more than enough quality N64 games to satiate my desires, including some of the best games ever made. I still regard Mario 64 as the best 3D platformer and would not have traded away that experience.
Your taste is not universal though - the console had a very small selection of titles, only a handful of which were actually good. 90% of the titles you mentioned reoccur on different "Top N64 Games" for a reason - because the system doesn't have a lot of good games.

Besides, my post was sarcastic - I was not intending on starting a "List War" because it's pointless - you'd still stand by your favourites even if I named hundreds of titles because you like them and you're entitled to it. The harsh reality is in the numbers though, and the numbers speak against the N64 on every front.

Reactions: gamefan5

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the thing - I don't deny the fact that the N64 had some good games - it did! I like quite a few of them. Question is, how long can you rinse and repeat the same ten games over and over again? The console just didn't have a big release list and I don't think the selection in any way validated the purchase. It will forever be "the console with SM64, Zelda: OoT, Majora's Mask, Mario Party, Smash Bros., GoldenEye and Mario Kart" but that's it. There is nothing more beyond that.

Your taste is not universal though - the console had a very small selection of titles, only a handful of which were actually good. 90% of the titles you mentioned reoccur on different "Top N64 Games" for a reason - because the system doesn't have a lot of good games.

Besides, my post was sarcastic - I was not intending on starting a "List War" because it's pointless - you'd still stand by your favourites even if I named hundreds of titles because you like them and you're entitled to it. The harsh reality is in the numbers though, and the numbers speak against the N64 on every front.
I would stand by my list not necessarily because I believe it superior to your list, but because I feel my list is enough to support the N64 as a console. Perhaps there are a lot of games I would have enjoyed that I missed out on having not had the Playstation, but that has little bearing in my mind on whether the N64 was a worthy console. It had enough games that I enjoyed and it was profitable enough to warrant a successor. That's all I need to know that it wasn't a failure.

I'm also a person who's been perfectly content with a Gamecube and with a Wii, so take that how you will.

SSVAV

Lurker in space
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Mandatory troll post: Quality, not quantity.

*goes to hide*

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
Also, what happened to that Yuji Naka spiritual successor of NIGHTS, "Rodea the Sky Soldier" on the Wii?
Wait, someone remembers that? I thought I was the only one.:O
I got really hyped at the trailer but since then there's been nothing. I believe it's most likely scrapped. :(

D

Deleted_171835

Really? :/

The N64 was a lot of things but I don't know how you could say the console with Super Mario fucking 64, Ocarina of goddamn Time and Majora's Mask was a failure. Those are both games that still compare favourably to games of today and remain timeless classics.

Sure, it might not have sold as much as the Playstation but it still sold relatively well (mostly in North America). I mean it outsold the Xbox and no one considers that a failure not to mention that it still made a profit for Nintendo.

And yes it may not have had as much games as the PS1 but the N64 had tons of quality games.

To name a few,
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Goldeneye 007
3. Super Mario 64
4. Perfect Dark
5. Banjo-Kazooie
6. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
7. Banjo-Tooie
8. Paper Mario
9. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
10. Wave Race 64
11. Conker's Bad Fur Day
12. Rayman 2: The Great Escape
13. International Superstar Soccer '98/All-Star Baseball 2000/Madden whatever/FIFA/NFL Blitz/NHL
18. Donkey Kong 64
19. Star Fox 64
20. Mario Golf
21. Mario Tennis
22. Blast Corps
23. 1080 Snowboarding
24. Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
25. WWF No Mercy
26. Resident Evil 2
27. Excitebike 64
28. F-Zero X
29. Tetrisphere
30. Diddy Kong Racing
33. Sin and Punishment: Successor to the Earth
34. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron -
35. Mario Kart 64
36. Worms Armageddon
37. Space Station Silicon Valley
38. Rocket: Robot on Wheels
39. The New Tetris
40. San Francisco Rush 2049
41. Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
43. Wipeout 64
44. Extreme-G
45. Vigilante 8
46. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
47. Ridge Racer 64
48. Star Wars Episode I: Battle for Naboo
49. Pilotwings 64
50. Pokemon Puzzle League

BTW, Fifa was on the N64 too.

The N64 was a lot of things. It marked the beginning of third-parties abandoning Nintendo platforms. It was difficult to develop for. It had a weird controller designed for three-handed mutants. But I wouldn't call it a "failure".

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The N64 was a lot of things. It marked the beginning of third-parties abandoning Nintendo platforms. It was difficult to develop for. It had a weird controller designed for three-handed mutants. But I wouldn't call it a "failure".
To be perfectly honest, the original XBox was as much a failure as the Gamecube, it just had a little bit more third-party support. The PS2 easily dominated that generation - were the two competitors released earlier, they'd have a chance... but they were not. I'm glad that you found 38 titles, but that's just... not much. The N64 got 3 FIFA games, yeah (FIFA 99, FIFA Soccer 64 and FIFA: Road to World Cup 98). Meanwhile the PSOne has 10 - clearly it was the "main FIFA outlet", which is what I meant. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Hopefully your not like south of Tampa they got flooding