• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

New York State Supreme Court rules that non-citizens can NOT vote in local elections.

Valwinz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
New York City's City Council approved a measure in January to give non-citizens the right to vote in local elections. But after a suit was brought by the GOP lawmakers, the New York Supreme Court ruled that no, non-citizens do not have the right to vote.

Source

Reactions: zfreeman

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Interesting. No opinion regarding that. I guess in Germany non-citizens can vote in local elections, considering this usually means having a say in policies regarding the local infrastructure residents use it somewhat makes sense to me that any legal resident would vote in local elections. Anyway, enough of the "international overview" on the topic.

Creamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
New York City's City Council approved a measure in January to give non-citizens the right to vote in local elections. But after a suit was brought by the GOP lawmakers, the New York Supreme Court ruled that no, non-citizens do not have the right to vote.

Source
Interesting. I was kind of asking myself why the USA doesn't get rid of the southern border altogether. I guess the ruling class want a certain amount of national integrity, but again where it is at now, what is even the point upholding national integrity?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Good. We don't need people who entered the country illegally deciding what happens in our cities. What needs to happen is they need to be arrested and deported for breaking the law.
The news is not related to people that entered the country illegally.

It is related to residents with legal permanent or temporary visas in the one hand, and people that hold citizenship in the other.

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
Good. We don't need people who entered the country illegally deciding what happens in our cities. What needs to happen is they need to be arrested and deported for breaking the law.

Good. When they become citizens, they can vote to their heart's content.

wouldn't it suck if you didn't do any investigating or reading?
https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/new...-citizens-to-vote-in-new-york-city-elections/
(that article is directly linked to the one in the OP's post)

"With a vote of 33 to 14, the City Council passed the "Our City Our Vote" legislation Thursday, granting non-citizens who are either legally authorized to work in the country or have legal permanent residence status the right to vote in municipal elections - not federal or state."
So in other words, people who aren't citizens, but authorized to be here.
AOC desperate for votes since she fucked up NYC.
when your desperate to throw someone you hate under the bus, and do no reading.

Reactions: The Catboy

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/new...-citizens-to-vote-in-new-york-city-elections/

"With a vote of 33 to 14, the City Council passed the "Our City Our Vote" legislation Thursday, granting non-citizens who are either legally authorized to work in the country or have legal permanent residence status the right to vote in municipal elections - not federal or state."

I know exactly who it pertains to. Noncitizens do not have the right to vote in the US. They can vote in their home countries still, just not here. It doesn't matter if they are here legally or not. I can guarantee that US citizens in almost every other country are not allowed to vote in their elections. Why should we be different?

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
(that article is directly linked to the one in the OP's post)

So what exactly is preventing permanent residents from achieving citizen status to be legible for voting?
No matter what way you put it, this is just a political move to gain more voters.

Deleted member 586536

Trophies
XP
No matter what way you put it, this is just a political move to gain more voters.
Is it? This is only in local elections. Not federal. or state. So in other words voting for the president? not happening. Senators? also not happening. just local elections, so in other words, the city, and only the city.
I know exactly who it pertains to. Noncitizens do not have the right to vote in the US.
Haha, no, no you don't
Good. We don't need people who entered the country illegally deciding what happens in our cities
you liked this comment. I can infer that your thinking "people here illegally"
Not "people here legally but not a citizen"
Your not pulling the rug over anyone. It's pretty obvious.
The two of you @TraderPatTX @JonhathonBaxster got hate boners, and instead of controlling that raging erection of yours Trader, you just went all in thinking that it was "illegals." Since you know, plays very nicely into that narrative. We both know which one.

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Is it? This is only in local elections. Not federal. So in other words voting for the president? not happening. Senators? also not happening. just local elections, so in other words, the city, and only the city.
There's more power to be held locally. The federal government has issues influencing on states and individuals, but at a municipal level it is much easier.

In any case, you still haven't answered my question, if this isn't a political move to grab votes, then what exactly is it for?
Permanent residents can access citicenship, and the same for legal workers, they can eventually opt for it.

If anything, this is a middle finger to all those inmigrants that follow the rules and laws, and wait their due time to absorve the culture and language until they are ready for the citizenship.

Deleted member 586536

Trophies
XP
In any case, you still haven't answered my question, if this isn't a political move to grab votes, then what exactly is it for?
Worker treatment. Let me explain.
Say I'm from country, x. In country x my work conditions were far worse.
Now if we believe we live in a democracy. It should be reasonable to believe that people who do work, and have been working here for a extended period of time. Should have at least SOME say over their local situation. So this would let them vouch for things like better pay locally. Or better worker employer conditions. It's not exactly a power grab, this giving those people a reasonable amount of say. If it was a power grab, I'd expect federal or state elections to be effected. Which well, obviously they aren't.

Last edited by Deleted member 586536,

Deleted member 586536

Trophies
XP
Yeah em.. this seems pretty damn obvious. If you're not a citizen you shouldn't be able to vote lol
so if you work here, legally, you shouldn't have any say surrounding said work? Sounds pretty supportive of big businesses to me, who like to take advantage of workers from other countries in general. Larger pay gap, worse conditions etc. It's only adding local voices. not to the overall federal, nor state.

Deleted member 586536

Trophies
XP
If anything, this is a middle finger to all those inmigrants that follow the rules and laws, and wait their due time to absorve the culture and language until they are ready for the citizenship.
Not really, since those people who did become citizens, get full access. Federal, State, and Local. In this case, it's just Local, down to the exact city. and that's just looking at it from a voting perspective. your still heavily limited as to what you can do.
Permanent residents can access citicenship, and the same for legal workers, they can eventually opt for it.
it's more immediate say, citizenship takes a while, and the United States isn't exactly known for it's speedy processes regarding that.

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so if you work here, legally, you shouldn't have any say surrounding said work? Sounds pretty supportive of big businesses to me, who like to take advantage of workers from other countries in general. Larger pay gap, worse conditions etc. It's only adding local voices. not to the overall federal, nor state.

Yeah.. no. No you shouldn't lol. Why would I want someone who's not even an American to have a say in how we run any form of government? Go get naturalized first, then you earn that privilege. Poll Americans on that. 90% will agree with me

Deleted member 586536

Trophies
XP

Actually, this statement is now very interesting, now that I think about it.
Are you implying that POC are more likely to vote democrat? Is that because the Republican voter base is mostly white people?
Because gaining more voters isn't inherently an issue, that's kinda needed for a democracy. Just where we start the standard is the question. Your afraid they would vote in a certain way.
It kinda implies that those people are treated poorly by Republicans, hence why they would vote Democrat. Since nothing is exactly stopping them from voting Republican, unless, well, the Republican party wasn't favorable to them or something.

Deleted member 586536

Trophies
XP
Why would I want someone who's not even an American to have a say in how we run any form of government?
... you may want to reword that statement. Sounds pretty xenophobic.

I would want them to have their voices heard for local elections since they are a honest working person. They deserve to have some say in things. And that some is local elections. It's like attending a class from another country, and they democratically vote on which project to do next. It's pretty rude to exude them, they contribute to their peers. (taxes, economy) but get no say in what they do? feels a bit wrong if you ask me.
Why would I want someone who's not even an American to have a say in how we run any form of government? Go get naturalized first, then you earn that privilege.
You do realize that there's plenty of countries that will revoke their citizenship if you have multiple citizenships. There are valid reasons not to do that. Again, we're only talking local elections, using the classroom example, I think that's fair. Your only getting to influence that class. Nothing outside of it. Not the overall school. Not the school district.

Last edited by Deleted member 586536,

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, this statement is now very interesting, now that I think about it.
Are you implying that POC are more likely to vote democrat? Is that because the Republican voter base is mostly white people?
Because gaining more voters isn't inherently an issue, that's kinda needed for a democracy. Just where we start the standard is the question. Your afraid they would vote in a certain way.
It kinda implies that those people are treated poorly by Republicans, hence why they would vote Democrat. Since nothing is exactly stopping them from voting Republican, unless, well, the Republican party wasn't favorable to them or something.
... you may want to reword that statement. Sounds pretty xenophobic.

I would want them to have their voices heard for local elections since they are a honest working person. They deserve to have some say in things. And that some is local elections. It's like attending a class from another country, and they democratically vote on which project to do next. It's pretty rude to exude them, they contribute to their peers. (taxes, economy) but get no say in what they do? feels a bit wrong if you ask me.

You do realize that there's plenty of countries that will revoke their citizenship if you have multiple citizenships. There are valid reasons not to do that. Again, we're only talking local elections, using the classroom example, I think that's fair. Your only getting to influence that class. Nothing outside of it.
Sir. I'm Hispanic and latino your attempts to paint people that don't agree with you as racist is just sad.

I can tell you that a substantial and rising population of Latino-american folks would agree with me on this point. Because those that became citizens worked hard to naturalize and go through the process. Weakening a privilege they earned by inflating it with folks that are not of our nation, didn't go through the process, or came here illegally is just pure stupidity. You making it about skin color is obviously just an attempt to be inflammatory. Take a chill pill.

You should have to be a citizen to vote, if you're from Japan or something where you have to choose a citizenship then choose. Don't expect privileges if you're not willing to commit to being an American though. Honestly I'd prefer that we ask people to revoke their other citizenships too if they become citizens, but I digress.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries