• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Supreme Court Strikes down a New York gun-control law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valwinz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
In a 6-3 decision, the Supreme Court strikes down a New York gun-control law that required people to show "proper cause" to get a license to carry a concealed handgun outside the home. Court says the law violates the Consitution.

Justice Thomas says in the intro that the court is holding: "that the Second and Fourteenth Amendments PROTECT an individual's right to carry a handgun for self-defense OUTSIDE the home."
"The constitutional right to bear arms in public for self-defense is not 'a second-class right, subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees'."

This is a great victory for the 2nd Amendment and sends a clear signal that red flag laws are also unconstitutional

Source

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
keep telling yourself that
I don't have to, it's common fucking sense. It would prove definitively that the majority of justices on the court are beholden to gun lobbyists. At that point I think some states would start openly defying some of their rulings, and rightfully so. The court is sworn to be nonpartisan, let alone not corporately owned.

Reactions: Dakitten

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has no bearing on red flag laws, and the moment the Supreme Court rules that every wife-beater with a long history of violence must have access to guns is the same moment they toss the last shred of their perceived legitimacy into the trashcan.

Read the opinion, Xzi. It throws out "may issue" permitting where only VIP's and the governor's buddies get permits. But it still allows for "shall-issue" permits where the state has to issue a permit to "law-abiding" persons but can first run a background check to make sure they really are "law-abiding." So wife-beaters with a long history of violence would still be denied.

But of course wife beaters with a long history of violence don't care whether they have a permit, or even if they can legally have a gun in the first place. Laws don't do much to impede the bad behavior of real criminals. And when you have cities like Philly dismissing over half of the illegal gun possession arrests its police department makes, that's not surprising.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Read the opinion, Xzi. It throws out "may issue" permitting where only VIP's and the governor's buddies get permits. But it still allows for "shall-issue" permits where the state has to issue a permit to "law-abiding" persons but can first run a background check to make sure they really are "law-abiding." So wife-beaters with a long history of violence would still be denied.
I know, that's why I was speaking in future tense, and hypothetically. Unfortunately the possibility of this activist conservative court issuing such a ruling is far from non-zero.

But of course wife beaters with a long history of violence don't care whether they have a permit, or even if they can legally have a gun in the first place. Laws don't do much to impede the bad behavior of real criminals. And when you have cities like Philly dismissing over half of the illegal gun possession arrests its police department makes, that's not surprising.
Law enforcement and the criminal "justice" system in this country is a whole other can of worms, suffice it to that 40%+ of police are among those who should lose access to firearms, but they're cops so they don't. Our system might already be fucked, but that's all the more reason we don't need the highest court in the land helping push it in that direction faster.

Reactions: Hanafuda

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, that's why I was speaking in future tense, and hypothetically. Unfortunately the possibility of this activist conservative court issuing such a ruling is far from non-zero.

Law enforcement and the criminal "justice" system in this country is a whole other can of worms, suffice it to that 40%+ of police are among those who should lose access to firearms, but they're cops so they don't. Our system might already be fucked, but that's all the more reason we don't need the highest court in the land helping push it in that direction faster.

Well, here is one instance where you and I can agree. Not so much on your reply to me above (though I do agree with some of it), but on your first post in the thread. If the US Supreme Court ever issues an opinion that holds, exact wording, that, "every wife-beater with a long history of violence must have access to guns," then yes that will be the day they toss the last shred of their perceived legitimacy into the trashcan. 😄

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good ruling and I don't think many can deny that. but for those that come in here to do, I pose to you this question:

How is denying people a conceal carry license going to stop shootings? If someone is going to commit one of these mass shootings or something, do you think they're telling themselves "Y'know, I was going to go slaughter people, but I don't have my license, so nevermind"? Obviously not. Imposing these stupid arbitrary rules on people who want to carry a gun to protect themselves in New York whilst criminals sprawl the streets with guns they obtained illegally not giving a damn about the law is plainly ridiculous.

Arguably this could be applied to CCW licenses in general. CCW is merely a tax on people's ability to practice their constitutional rights and if it were up to me Constitutional carry would be the status quo nationwide. But I reckon that won't happen anytime soon.

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have to, it's common fucking sense. It would prove definitively that the majority of justices on the court are beholden to gun lobbyists. At that point I think some states would start openly defying some of their rulings, and rightfully so. The court is sworn to be nonpartisan, let alone not corporately owned.
Sir, I know a lot of gun owners and I don't think I can name one of them that subscribes to the NRA. Talk to gun owners and the vast majority of them are probably in favor of this ruling because it's just basic common sense that these stupid laws clearly go against the constitution.

The NRA is and has been a dying lobby for the past couple years. It's corrupt as hell and you're a fool to donate to them. Alas, it doesn't mean that if you're against the NRA that you're against your right to keep and bear arms. These two points are not mutually exclusive. The NRA is just a boogieman for the democrats to point at to justify taking away law abiding citizen's rights.

Reactions: TraderPatTX

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The system is so sadly and disgustingly broken. Doesn't matter if it's against or for something I'm in favor of, there simply is no denying how corrupt it all is.

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The system is so sadly and disgustingly broken. Doesn't matter if it's against or for something I'm in favor of, there simply is no denying how corrupt it all is.
I'm... not sure how that pertains to this. The job of the Supreme court is to make sure that laws that are passed do not infringe on the rights laid out by the constitution. The job of the Supreme Court is not to legislate on issues and serve as a untouchable group of bureaucrats that change opinions on issues based on the current political climate. tldr, the legislator passes laws and SCOTUS blocks laws that violate our rights. If you want to put these restrictions on guns, then either A. Make the constitution of the state supercede the constitution of the United States so every state can make their own laws on any number of issues or B. get the 2/3rd vote needed to pass an amendment to repeal the 2nd amendment. But alas, the first would never happen because the left wishes to let states legislate on things like guns, but not be able to legislate on things they dont like like abortion. And the second one won't happen because they would never in a million years get the votes for that.

So basically this ruling is the opposite of corruption and brokenness. Having activists on the court that make up rules on the spot would, in fact, be the definition of corruption. In fact, if that were to happen, there'd be no point in having the supreme court at all.

Last edited by MariArch,
Reactions: zfreeman

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thankfully my state isn't trying to do anything crazy like remove our conceal carry permits. I always carry my hand gun when going outside. If you lived in my shit hole city, you would too.

Having a hand gun really helped out during the "Summer of Love", when a bunch of Anarchist tried to break into my house, and the Cops were fucking useless, and took 2 hours to arrive. I'm still butt hurt that they smashed the 7/11 near my house, and it never re-opened.

Reactions: zfreeman

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best take I saw on this was, "In shocking news, SCOTUS decision agrees with law already in effect in 43 states."

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Sir, I know a lot of gun owners and I don't think I can name one of them that subscribes to the NRA. Talk to gun owners and the vast majority of them are probably in favor of this ruling because it's just basic common sense that these stupid laws clearly go against the constitution.

The NRA is and has been a dying lobby for the past couple years. It's corrupt as hell and you're a fool to donate to them. Alas, it doesn't mean that if you're against the NRA that you're against your right to keep and bear arms. These two points are not mutually exclusive. The NRA is just a boogieman for the democrats to point at to justify taking away law abiding citizen's rights.
I didn't mention the NRA, because you're correct in that their brand has become toxic, and even most lobbyists have distanced themselves from the organization as a result.

Well, here is one instance where you and I can agree. Not so much on your reply to me above (though I do agree with some of it), but on your first post in the thread. If the US Supreme Court ever issues an opinion that holds, exact wording, that, "every wife-beater with a long history of violence must have access to guns," then yes that will be the day they toss the last shred of their perceived legitimacy into the trashcan. 😄
SCOTUS also recently ruled that it should be left up to states to decide whether or not cops are required to read suspects their Miranda rights. So yeah, that shred is getting tinier by the day.

Reactions: Dakitten

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Upholding the Constitution is not being partisan. And defying Supreme Court rulings sounds a little insurrectiony. You sure you wanna open that can of worms just because you didn't get your way?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Upholding the Constitution is not being partisan. And defying Supreme Court rulings sounds a little insurrectiony. You sure you wanna open that can of worms just because you didn't get your way?
The constitution literally allows for enslavement of those convicted of a crime. I'd say taking away domestic abusers' guns is letting them off pretty light by comparison.

Additionally, I don't recognize the authority of this illegitimate SCOTUS and neither must anyone else. They have no direct mechanism to enforce their decisions, and if they rely on white supremacists and domestic terrorists to enforce them, that just further proves the notion that they are unelected tyrants refusing to serve the will of the people. Something the constitution warns us about repeatedly.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The constitution literally allows for enslavement of those convicted of a crime. I'd say taking away domestic abusers' guns is letting them off pretty light by comparison.

Additionally, I don't recognize the authority of this illegitimate SCOTUS and neither must anyone else. They have no direct mechanism to enforce their decisions, and if they rely on white supremacists and domestic terrorists to enforce them, that just further proves the notion that they are unelected tyrants refusing to serve the will of the people. Something the constitution warns us about repeatedly.
The SCOTUS's authority is found in the Constitution, so if you don't recognize it, then you also do not recognize the Constitution itself. There is so much you don't understand, but I'm not in the mood to wade through your word salad of leftist buzzwords to explain basic civics to you. Cry and seethe more.

Reactions: mrdude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk