Dr. Wii, Ph.D
OP
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
It's the end of 2020, and there is a new Swapnote update out! I'm pretty surprised.

On Nintendo's site, it lists the update as "Swapnote Remastered". https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/54060/~/how-to-update-swapnote

Nintendo Korea's site notes that the update makes further changes to the game and such. https://www.nintendo.co.kr/3DS/customer/re_exchange_diary/index.php

I updated my copy of the app and saw no immediate changes, so maybe they're under-the-hood changes. Or they are patching a potential exploit?

The game was apparently unlisted in the eShop for some reason (well that's what user @sks316 said a few years ago), so maybe this update is to get it back in the shop.

Also, Swapnote (and its amazing sequel, Swapdoodle) were not completely developed by Nintendo. They were developed by a company called Denyu-sha. Maybe it was their idea to make this update?

Last edited by Larsenv,

Jeremy970

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Swapnote is really weird sometimes, I recommend the pictochat.cia, I dont remember if it has online compatibility or not but pictochat is really fun for local. Just lookup pictochat.cia download on google and you should find a github link

MilesTheCreator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only change I noticed so far is the OK button being removed in discontinued message (you can still dismiss it by tapping the message).

V4OSsWD.png

And why did they call it "Remastered"?? I'm confused. :/

EDIT: I looked into the romfs.. they re-compressed a few files, other than that, nothing changed at all.

Last edited by MilesTheCreator,

slimbizzy

call me watchu want
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
Canada
I have a theory as to why they updated it, maybe someone reported an exploit to Nintendo. They will definitely update the app for that.

A year or so ago, they patched a dangerous exploit that was reported that could allow you to run unsigned code using StreetPass.
in all honesty, a patch for an exploit seems the only good reason. especially since it's still discontinued. but at the same time it's a little odd... because they could be patching other exploits such as the most common one people use to homebrew? perhaps it's a hidden message! na...

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
The game was apparently unlisted in the eShop for some reason (well that's what user @sks316 said a few years ago), so maybe this update is to get it back in the shop.
It was not just "some reason", it was because the online services for Swapnote were discontinued and Nintendo wanted to push people to Swapdoodle, it's successor. Highly unlikely it'll come back, though the sudden update and listing of "Swapnote Remastered" are rather interesting and raise some questions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker. +1