Xenith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all to whomever this may concern,
This is major news to anyone that has ever used a n64 emulator. I want to spread the word by sharing this link with everyone.
"A new generation, open-source graphics plugin for N64 emulators"
All or nothing campaign is going on. He is asking for 6000$ currently at 60% 3,580
If the goal is not met, all the donations will be returned full.
Here is the link to the campaign for more information. Any help is appreciated. Thank you for your time.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gliden64-graphics-plugin

The basic time-line for this process:
October 2014:
  • Fix stability issues
  • Implement missing functionality to achieve compatibility equivalent to Glide64. glN64 was released 10 years ago and even then it was not the most compatible plugin. Lots of work here.
November 2014:
  • Add texture enhancement and hi-res texture load.
  • I plan to rewrite the GlideHQ submodule from the Glide64 project to add OpenGL texture formats.
  • Lots of work need to be done in the plugin to support all the features of GlideHQ.
December 2014:
  • Portable user interface
  • Support for game specific profiles
  • Establish a bug-list
  • Rearrange support forum
  • Bug fixes
  • Writing docs
January 2015:
  • Establish a GitHub repository for the source code.
  • Go live!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting, something about this (not the people or the setup, mainly as I have not looked into them at all, just the notion of a scheme like this) does not sit right with me. On the other hand funding dev work is fine so I guess I have no complaints.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting, something about this (not the people or the setup, mainly as I have not looked into them at all, just the notion of a scheme like this) does not sit right with me. On the other hand funding dev work is fine so I guess I have no complaints.

I don't know why it wouldn't, this guy's been a very reputable developer for N64 emulation since the beginnings, I think he can be trusted easily. It's not like he's another Gary OPA or something. Glide64, his previous project, definitely one of the best plugins ever created.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not worried about them doing a runner. Of course I never fund these sorts of things anyway and N64 emulation is not a particular priority/concern of mine so I am probably not really adding anything to the discussion.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, it's bad enough that the N64 emulation scene is pretty much dead, but I for one want to see the issues that have plagued plugins for year neutralized. I thought more people on here would be excited...

Reactions: Xenith

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This plugin doesn't seem so special, what he really needs to do is to aim for a much higher compatibility than any other plugin can achieve, and that's not in the planned timeline at all. That's what would set this plugin apart from others, all the other things are just small bonus features.

Open source?
With a 6 grand price tag.

Isn't much open source then.
Open source != free. There are paid open source programs. This isn't really one of them, you're funding development, not paying for source code.

An Everdrive 64 + mint condition N64 costs less then 1/20th of the funding ;'D

But serious it was a sarcastic comment .-.
Sarcasm doesn't translate to text very well.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Open source != free. There are paid open source programs. This isn't really one of them, you're funding development, not paying for source code.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

True, but I don't have an N64 with me, plus I don't have the room where I live. Everdrive 64 doesn't run Banjo Tooie and and a few other games due to a lockout chip I think....it's about time there's something in the emulation scene lol.

Edit: Ninja'd :D

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I've always thought N64 emulation was lacking. I always try it year after year and then end up ditching it when the majority of games turn up glitchy. Would be nice to actually have something functional and "close" to perfect.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I've always thought N64 emulation was lacking. I always try it year after year and then end up ditching it when the majority of games turn up glitchy. Would be nice to actually have something functional and "close" to perfect.

I've had a lot of success with Glide64, most of the games I have work well.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Still has unreadable format on non Android OSes. Anyways.

Inori Aizawa does a good job showing the list. isn't a html is a xml, that's why.

while this plugin has received a couple updates(MyGlide64), had been pretty much dead for 2 years now and right now I can't make it work properly on my laptop, it launches one time per boot, if I try to play a different game it just crashes until I reboot. looked with task manager with no luck.
and like someone said before, an update to framebuffer would be great, pixel shader can help accelerate that, or the render to texture hack dolphin uses.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok