Emulation Looking for resources to help with research into .ini files for N64 Wii U injects.

MasterFox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First Backstory....

I have recently purchased and homebrewed a Wii U with the express purpose of using it as a bridge between my N64 games and modern displays.
Come to find out that is a lot harder than it sounds.
It would seem the games when installed using the suggestions in "WiiU_VC_N64_inject_compatibility_list" does not always offer the best configuration options possible, but rather what worked best for one persons specific scenario.
I know this because I was able to achieve better results changing 2 things in particular in my series of the same injections in a trial and error process.
These are the BASE ROM and the .ini file for the game, but mostly the .ini file.
I started by analyzing these .ini files and found that they have a lot of similarities across all the N64 games even from different regions, so I started dissecting pieces of every .ini file I have access to.

For example when I add the following that I took from the EU version of Paper_Mario.ini and add it to the US version of the Paper_Mario.ini, most of the graphic issues that were present when using the configuration suggesting in the compatibility list disappear, but new problems arise.

[RomOption]
TicksPerFrame = 940000

[Idle]
Count = 1
Address0 = 0x8005F968
Inst0 = 0x8C620000
Type0 = 1

I found these categories looking through all my .ini files:

[RomOption]
[Cmp]
[Sound]
[Input]
[Idle]
[Render]
[Cheat]
[BreakBlockInst]
[RSPG]
[SI]
[InsertIdleInst]
[SpecialInst]
[RomHack]
[FilterHack]
[VertexHack]

Now on to what I want.....

1. Can someone that either has resources pertaining to .ini files or in depth knowledge of .ini files, help me to learn about them... specifically how to interpret and modify them?
(Any additional insight or resources would be greatly appreciated.)

2. Is it just wishful thinking to suggest N64 injects on Wii U are simply a work in progress and with time they may actually become more compatible than they currently are?

The reason I am doing this is because it just seems like such a shame that something is so..... close to being able to bring N64 titles to modern displays without the need for a pc and retroarch or modding of the original hardware, and I would simply love to see it become a real option to enjoy these amazing games.

Thank you in advance to anyone that took the time to read this to completion or contribute to its goal.

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have very limited knowledge on this sort of thing, but i believe that the .ini and the base could potentially allow for more compatbility, but i think there is limited documentation on what makes an .ini run a game that's currently incompatible. for example, when it comes to some romhacks (starstruck, smash remix, overkart/hooting time), i manually add the expansion pak variable, since they seem to recommend it, and usually follow the compatbility for the vanilla rom (though this method doesn't always work, eg, not all mario 64 romhacks can be injected)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?