Smash Remix 1.5.0 Wii U VC Injection Widescreen Off-Center

Zazabar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for that mouthful of a title, but that's my issue in a nutshell.

I followed the official instructions to obtain Smash Remix 1.5.0. I then followed this YouTube tutorial to inject my copy of Smash Remix into my Wii U. For those who don't want to watch the video, I'll post the instructions here.

1. Took my copy of Smash Remix and opened it within a hex editor (HxD).
2. Inside the hex editor, under the decoded text column, there's an test string towards the very beginning, which reads "NALE"
3. I changed "NALE" to "NALJ" and saved the rom.
4. Downloaded this ini.
5. Using Phacox's Injector, I loaded the rom, used the NA version of Mario Golf as my base, and loaded the UNALJ0.354.ini.
6. Once the .ini was loaded, I clicked edit and set the backup size to 512 bytes, the backup type to EEPROM, and enabled the MemPak.
7. The last thing I did before I packed was tick the widescreen box.

The bold step was the only thing I did which differed from the video's guide. I moved it over to my sc card, installed the wap, and the game works perfectly. Within Smash Remix, there's an option to enable widescreen. I knew this before hand, so I chose to enable widescreen during the injection process. My only problem is when it's enabled, the screen for the main menu, options, css, and level select are all off center. The title screen and actual gameplay are widescreen.

PXL_20240106_063307821.MP.jpg

PXL_20240106_063316106.jpg

PXL_20240106_063256786.MP.jpg

PXL_20240106_063346972.jpg

I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to what would cause those screens in particular to be off-center while the rest of the game works as intended. I'm thinking this may be something related to the mod itself, but the widescreen option works perfectly while using Mupen64 and setting the ratio to 16:9. That got me thinking it must be something with the vc injection. Leaving the widescreen off in the game leaves the 4:3 image being stretched. While I haven't tried injecting it without the widescreen selection, then selecting widescreen in Smash Remix, I can only assume the results will be similar to when I originally injected the widescreen rom and didn't select widescreen in the game.

This isn't a deal breaker for me, just curious if anyone has any fix or if there is one.

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey there, had the same thing happen to me, guessing it has something to do with their newest widescreen implementation. have you tried on uwuvci? it results in black screen for me, only phacox works

edit: i tried without widescreen setting on the injector, and smash remix widescreen setting on. it does the same behavior of the off-centered screens, but the widescreen setting in smash doesn't appear to work for wii vc, as it stays at 4:3.

Last edited by grandosegood,

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey all,

I went through the steps above, extracted the .ini from the wup installer files created from phacox injector by using nusconverter, and then redid the injection with uwuvci, using mario golf base, smash remix 1.5 with the japanese header, and the .ini extracted from the game after performing the above phacox steps. I can say that the game now loads properly with widescreen after being injected from uwuvci. I've attached the .ini here for others to test

please note this uses the original japanese .ini for smash, but with some adjustments, most notably including the backup type (EEPROM) and Backup size (512) listed from the video and expansion pak variable (RamSize = 0x800000), which romhacks including this one usually need (as oppose to the trimmed down .ini linked in the first post)

edit: have an unlimited time game going for the last 30 minutes or so, no crashes.

edit2: this .ini was originally created with the phacox injector, so it will have a lot of unused fields set to off (has the semicolon in the front, and may appear as a different color depending on how you view it).

Attachments

• fixed_UNALJ0.z64.ini.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: SaulFabre

Zazabar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey all,

I went through the steps above, extracted the .ini from the wup installer files created from phacox injector by using nusconverter, and then redid the injection with uwuvci, using mario golf base, smash remix 1.5 with the japanese header, and the .ini extracted from the game after performing the above phacox steps. I can say that the game now loads properly with widescreen after being injected from uwuvci. I've attached the .ini here for others to test

please note this uses the original japanese .ini for smash, but with some adjustments, most notably including the backup type (EEPROM) and Backup size (512) listed from the video and expansion pak variable (RamSize = 0x800000), which romhacks including this one usually need (as oppose to the trimmed down .ini linked in the first post)

edit: have an unlimited time game going for the last 30 minutes or so, no crashes.

edit2: this .ini was originally created with the phacox injector, so it will have a lot of unused fields set to off (has the semicolon in the front, and may appear as a different color depending on how you view it).
For me to test this .ini with Phacox, will I need to cleanup the extra semicolons?

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me to test this .ini with Phacox, will I need to cleanup the extra semicolons?
I don't think so, since I think Phacox generates the .ini like that, turning off unused settings. i'd suggest to try it in the latest version of uwuvci and let me know if it works for you.

Reactions: SaulFabre

Zazabar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like injecting it with Phacox resulted with a blank screen when loading the game. I'll give UWUVCI a read up and check it out.
Post automatically merged:

I wasn't able to get this working with UWUVCI, but I'm thinking this is more on my end than anything; when the rom launches, it doesn't get past the "splash screen" when launching the vc game. I have to hit the home button and quit to the Wii U menu. Upon reloading, I get the blank screen.

Again, I don't think this is the ini, I'm sure I'm running into issues with the injection. I'll have to double-check everything and make sure I can test out that ini. I'm guessing it has to do with my base game. I'll mess around with it.

Even if I don't get this working, thanks to you folks who replied. I've lurked this site for a while regarding random, it's great to see a website seemingly dedicated to this kind of thing.

Last edited by Zazabar,
Reactions: grandosegood

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey there, thanks for trying, we appreciate your efforts and positive attitude. one potential cause could be rom not dumped correctly, so i'd make sure you have a good rom dump/source. the next thing is try fulling uninstalling uwuvci, reinstall it and the stuff it requires:

https://github.com/stuff-by-3-random-dudes/UWUVCI-AIO-WPF/releases/tag/v3.99.9.2
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/downlo...u/runtime-desktop-3.1.6-windows-x64-installer
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/...u/runtime-desktop-6.0.8-windows-x64-installer

then, download mario golf base within uwuvci, use the fixed ini and your newly dumped/sourced rom (first apply smash remix patch, then change header to japanese). if done correctly, uwuvci will pull the japanese icon/splash for the game. i personally change those icons, but you could keep them if you prefer. i also keep widescreen on and dark filter off, while keeping the widescreen setting within the game itself to off (default setting). i'd also suggest to make sure you are on the latest wii u update with the latest aroma update as well. i tested about 20 minutes with 1 cpu and 3p, no crash, ran very smooth. it's amazing work what they've done

Zazabar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey there, thanks for trying, we appreciate your efforts and positive attitude. one potential cause could be rom not dumped correctly, so i'd make sure you have a good rom dump/source. the next thing is try fulling uninstalling uwuvci, reinstall it and the stuff it requires:

https://github.com/stuff-by-3-random-dudes/UWUVCI-AIO-WPF/releases/tag/v3.99.9.2
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/downlo...u/runtime-desktop-3.1.6-windows-x64-installer
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/...u/runtime-desktop-6.0.8-windows-x64-installer

then, download mario golf base within uwuvci, use the fixed ini and your newly dumped/sourced rom (first apply smash remix patch, then change header to japanese). if done correctly, uwuvci will pull the japanese icon/splash for the game. i personally change those icons, but you could keep them if you prefer. i also keep widescreen on and dark filter off, while keeping the widescreen setting within the game itself to off (default setting). i'd also suggest to make sure you are on the latest wii u update with the latest aroma update as well. i tested about 20 minutes with 1 cpu and 3p, no crash, ran very smooth. it's amazing work what they've done
I have some news. Turns out the reinstallation of UWUVCI, installing .NET 3.1.6, and dumping a fresh copy of my Smash 64 (love my Retrode) did the trick. I followed the process and Smash Remix finally installed! The part which appears different now is after clicking "Inject", another window pops up which lets me know the injection process was completed. Before, I never caught that window, so maybe the injection process never fully completed before? Regardless, thanks for the steps in getting this injection working properly, grandosegood.

Unfortunately, the widescreen issue still exists. Was that issue ever something that was supposed to be resolved with the new .ini or the different injector?

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have some news. Turns out the reinstallation of UWUVCI, installing .NET 3.1.6, and dumping a fresh copy of my Smash 64 (love my Retrode) did the trick. I followed the process and Smash Remix finally installed! The part which appears different now is after clicking "Inject", another window pops up which lets me know the injection process was completed. Before, I never caught that window, so maybe the injection process never fully completed before? Regardless, thanks for the steps in getting this injection working properly, grandosegood.

Unfortunately, the widescreen issue still exists. Was that issue ever something that was supposed to be resolved with the new .ini or the different injector?
hey there, glad to hear you got it working. the new .ini and uwuvci should have hopefully fixed that issue . i made sure to check widescreen on uwuvci, dark filter off, and i never turned on the widescreen in the game itself. i'll try it again from scratch and report back

waywardLam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey there, glad to hear you got it working. the new .ini and uwuvci should have hopefully fixed that issue . i made sure to check widescreen on uwuvci, dark filter off, and i never turned on the widescreen in the game itself. i'll try it again from scratch and report back
Ok, So I injected Smash Remix using the latest version of UWUVCI, with the widescreen box ticked on, and everything worked successfully.

1. Mario Golf US as a base
2. Then I used HxD exactly as shown in the above video to change the name from NALE to NALJ and saved the newly edited Rom
3. I downloaded the UNALJ0.354.ini from injectiine as shown in the video.
4. I added the following lines at the end of the [RomOption] portion of the above .ini file:

BackupType = 3
BackupSize = 512
MemPack = 1

5. I then used the now edited UNALJ0.354. file as the ini and the hex-edited Smash Remix Rom as the rom to be injected
6. I disabled dark filter, then ticked on the widescreen box
7. Added some images to be used as banner, etc.
8. Made the inject to be installed as a WUP
9. profit, the game is widescreen as it should be

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, So I injected Smash Remix using the latest version of UWUVCI, with the widescreen box ticked on, and everything worked successfully.

2. Then I used HxD exactly as shown in the above video to change the name from NALE to NALJ and saved the newly edited Rom
4. I added the following lines at the end of the [RomOption] portion of the above .ini file:

BackupType = 3
BackupSize = 512
MemPack = 1

5. I then used the now edited UNALJ0.354. file as the ini and the hex-edited Smash Remix Rom as the rom to be injected

glad to hear it, can i ask why you choose to enable mempack? as far as i can tell, smash bros should be an on-cartridge save,

waywardLam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only enabled mempack because the OP had mempack enabled in his original post, and I was trying to match his as close as possible to see if I could replicate the problem. But as far as I can tell the mempack option doesn't make a difference one way or another.

My best guess is that Phacox may make injections differently than UWUVCI, but idk, I haven't looked at the code for either

Elru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

BackupType = 3
BackupSize = 512
MemPack = 1

Did you activate widescreen in the game settings? Is character selection fixed?

Elru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
hey there, if using the above info from my post, widescreen will be set to on during the injection, and off within the game itself
So isn't fixed after all, If it remains off in the game settings, the aspect ratio is not correct, I know it's not correct, because if I do the same on my N64, 16:9 on TV and WS on game it looks perfect...

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So isn't fixed after all, If it remains off in the game settings, the aspect ratio is not correct, I know it's not correct, because if I do the same on my N64, 16:9 on TV and WS on game it looks perfect...

hey there, thanks for your reply, do you happen to have a screenshot/pic for comparison? i will check later too

hey all, i believe @Elru is correct about the aspect ratio being off within the game itself. after taking two pictures, the system menu/character selection screen is off-center with widescreen on from the injector and on in the game itself, but still appears to be correct in battle.

with my method (injector widescreen on, game widescreen off), the characters will be a bit stretched, but the menus will appear correctly. so technically, it isn't fixed, but still playable

Attachments

• 413363078_735846598481086_7262359423164487512_n.jpg
    413363078_735846598481086_7262359423164487512_n.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 413062747_664669095626248_4571314851102728921_n.jpg
    413062747_664669095626248_4571314851102728921_n.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 414041608_1806153823179333_1505640936127808545_n.jpg
    414041608_1806153823179333_1505640936127808545_n.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 413418271_753428809989651_3060016350545676067_n.jpg
    413418271_753428809989651_3060016350545676067_n.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: Elru

Elru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
hey there, thanks for your reply, do you happen to have a screenshot/pic for comparison? i will check later too

hey all, i believe @Elru is correct about the aspect ratio being off within the game itself. after taking two pictures, the system menu/character selection screen is off-center with widescreen on from the injector and on in the game itself, but still appears to be correct in battle.

with my method (injector widescreen on, game widescreen off), the characters will be a bit stretched, but the menus will appear correctly. so technically, it isn't fixed, but still playable
I don't know why I can't upload images from my cell phone (I made some good comparisons, but well it shows in your images), but yes, it's a little problem with the aspect ratio and the menu/character selection to the side, it could be because when activating widescreen in the rom on a flashcart, the menu its still seen in 4:3, but when it comes to starting to play the game it becomes 16:9, but again, yes other than that it's perfectly playable

Reactions: waywardLam

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto