What was your first/formative emulator experience?

caipora

cheese eating lactose intolerant
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Mine was SneStation, a SNES PlayStation 2 emulator with almost the entire SNES library, it had savestate and everything, i almost had a heart attack when i was a kid and found it on a quiosque with my mom. The thing is that it occupied waaaay too much space on the Memory Card, more than any other game at the time.

The first experience with computer emulation was with Project64 when it had that MSPaint red and cyan icon lol my friend gave me a pen drive with it alongside with a game: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I remember to find it really weird that i couldn't jump. Key settings were weird too.

toolazytosearchitmyself

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The way I remember it I was at my cousin's place and he had a NES emulator and some games on his computer. At that time I didn't know what a NES or emulator is. I played a few minutes of Zelda and didn't like it.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
NESticle for DOS, but it still ran in Win95/98. (I preferred it to NESticle 95 TBH.)

02-28.jpg

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First emulator I remember using was FCE Ultra (NES). I also remember playing Sonic the Hedgehog on an iPaq Pocket PC but I don't recall what the Game Gear emulator for it was called.

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
I learned about ROM's before any emulators existed. I found some on a dialup BBS system and discovered you can copy games using a physical game copying device. This was in the late 1980's. Fast forward a few years and the Internet became mainstream and websites started to exist. This is how I found "Super Pasofami", was using websites. At first emulation was rough, there weren't any accurate ones back in the day and the ones that did function didn't do so that well. So I was around to have experienced BBS and game copiers, witness the birth of the Internet and the creation of emulators. Ah, sweet memories.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hard to say, might have been anything between NO$GMB or VisualBoyAdvance (since of course Game Boy + elementary school meant POKEMON, I was lucky enough to get a PC in 2001, loved downloading guides/maps/fansites and wanted to replicate that), ePSXe (What? This thing (barely) runs the Bust-a-move-4 bootleg a friend gave me out of his 300 copied disc collection and my PS1 doesn't?), or VICE (Thanks to my uncle who gave me a "Basic and Pascal for scientific problems" book and apparently that was the first implementation of Basic I found lol)
Either way that was between 2003 and 2004 :)

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
In the earlier '00's my cousin bought a CD with a old version of Bleem! on it, a PS1 emulator. I tried it with Moorhen 3 and didn't used it after that.

Some years later, 2004, I found ePSXe to play Crash Bash intensively on it with save states (making it easier). I remember some levels needed "frame skipping" to run at the correct speed because my PC wasn't fast enough. It was a Pentium III 667MHz with 192MB RAM and a ATi Radeon 9200 SE.

Reactions: BigOnYa

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My first one was the PPSSPP on my PC. It ran fine until I tried to play KILLZONE™. Tried many tweeks, but I still got glitches. :(

Then I installed RetroArch, and the same game ran smoothly. Weird :mellow:

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
My first emulator experience was when a friend burnt me a Dreamcast CD packed with SNES games... My mind was blown away. I bought my Dreamcast especially for that.

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Bleem! I remember running it on my first pc
Post automatically merged:

humm and what you tell me about VirtualPC!!!

and Connectix Virtual Game Station

You made me melancholic!!!

Last edited by impeeza,
Reactions: Fien

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Talk about propaganda.