"New" Laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by JPH, Feb 22, 2008.

Feb 22, 2008

"New" Laptop by JPH at 1:26 AM (930 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. JPH
    OP

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Well, my aunt got an Asus PC for her birthday...so she handed down this crappy-ish, slow computer.
    It's got Windows XP installed, and Photoshop 7.

My questions:

What to do to improve speed?

What free software do you recommend?

What virus/spam blocker software do you use (free)?

And how can I uninstall Internet Explorer (It's the web browser with the popups I can't seem to get rid of...)

I know this is newb stuff, but I'm a newb when it comes down to it.

Thanks,

JP

2. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Popups with IE = Virus. Use AVG for free antivirus. CMD or Kerio for free firewall.

Windows key + pause/break key. Advanced > performance settings > adjust for best performance.

3. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Avast! is my favorite free antivirus and uses little resources.

4. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

run spybot and/or adaware then defrag the hard drive. Check to see what games it can play, if it's shitty in that department, throw linux on dat shit which will 1. improve speed 2. Provide you with most of the free software you will need preinstalled (and if you aren't experienced in photoshop yet, ditch it and stick with gimp, which is considerably more practical to know how to use then photoshop) 3. eliminate the need for a virus blocker and 4. Uninstall IE [​IMG] (I wouldn't recommend uninstalling IE if you use XP however, as it is still needed to view the occasional site)

5. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Flatline and rebuild (format the drive). Don't bother dealing with whatever shit is left over from her poor surfing habits.

Then install an nLited XP build.

IETab
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

6. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I thought that was a backend to IE. Basically, you still need IE for IETab to work.

Alternatively, you could download the an IE addon that does what Firefox does (IE7Pro).

7. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Ahahahaha.

No.

8. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    If it has less at least 512MB of ram then your ok. But if you have less or you find it too little I'd suggest you upgrade it then. The older the lappy, the more likely it uses older RAM which means one stick will be costly (I upgraded my laptop's RAM from 512MB to 1.49GB for about $50.

If you want to make it faster, I suggest you minimize what starts up and take out stuff you don't use at all (going though msconfig and services etc. Make sure to find a comprehensive list/guide before changing settings, you could inadvertently break your system). Basicly tweak the settings to your liking.

Free software? juggy's topic is a good source: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=66378
    I have a lot so I won't list them my self.

A great antivirus is avg free and I myself use gmail so no spam worries there;)
    I've been using sygate personal firewall for awhile.

You can't remove ie, but you can disable it. Google it.

And remember to update.