Gaming NES VC Games. The A B Y X Layout Button problem

Melee54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GBA is quite different in my opinion. The buttons are large and close together like the gameboy color picture that I posted. I enjoyed playing Mario on my GBA
biggrin.gif
(Although I still prefer the Y and B position. GBA and GBC buttons were close enough together that it didn't matter too much.)

I just can't play these games on my 3DS in any sort of comparable way. Hoping they add support for Y and B eventually. But I don't really care since I can already comfortably play these games on my PC, Wii, actual systems, and PSP already, lol.

dragonkid6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Melee54 said:
dragonkid6 said:
By the time made the GBAsp the buttons got smaller, are you saying from the GBAsp>DS>DSL>DSi>DSiXL>3DS, your not used to the smaller buttons and how they are positioned?

Smaller buttons are fine, the positions are fine, but the control scheme is uncomfortable. Ever since I was little, I've kept my thumb permanently pressed on the designated "run" button and then used the other part of my thumb to jump. Kirby, Mario, Donkey Kong, and everything else. It's not horrible for new players, but I'm too used to doing that. I can't do this whole B run and A jump, thing.

When I first played my GBAsp my hands took 2 hours to adjust to system weight, size, and controls. I don't see what's so hard about adapting. I can perfectly and quickly use both B+A on any game without effort and without thought. The only thing that has changed over the years is size and weight, the controls have been the same for years. It's sad to say but some people just can't hand;e change I guess. Not directed at anyone in particular but I really don't see how hard it could be.

EDIT: Another thing, since the controls have always been B+A with A being slightly higher and off to the left, in what way could switching A with Y make it easier, at what point did you play a system like and nothing has felt right since?

gumgod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dragonkid6 said:
EDIT: Another thing, since the controls have always been B+A with A being slightly higher and off to the left, in what way could switching A with Y make it easier, at what point did you play a system like and nothing has felt right since?

You don't really switch A with Y, B becomes Y and A becomes B. That makes it feel more like an NES or SNES control scheme. This way your thumb holds down Y to run and presses B to jump which is more like what would happen when holding an NES remote (or Wii remote sideways for that matter).

edit: I feel it necessary to point out that I've pretty much adjusted to the control scheme, it just would feel more natural the other way. However the thing that still bugs me a little is the placement of select and start on the 3DS, I have to look at it every time I want to use a spell in Zelda.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pingouin7 said:
You're an idiot if you attempt to play by placing your finger like it is on your picture.
A friend of my always try to play that way. Everytime we play I say to him: "you're are an idiot"

b+a layout is for people like me who grow up with a NES controller
y+b layout is for little kids that grow up with the N64 controller

D

Deleted-236924

NahuelDS said:
Pingouin7 said:
You're an idiot if you attempt to play by placing your finger like it is on your picture.
A friend of my always try to play that way. Everytime we play I say to him: "you're are an idiot"

I never owned a NES and mostly grew up with the SNES and N64 and still think A+B are better.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pingouin7 said:
NahuelDS said:
Pingouin7 said:

I never owned a NES and mostly grew up with the SNES and N64 and still think A+B are better.
welcome to the a+b club xD

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
ManFranceGermany said:
seriously, this are not amateurs, they are professionals. those things should not happen.

You've completely ignored their statement about those titles being "updated" in the future to include such things that aren't mandatory to getting the game working on the 3DS "right now". Everyone of the Ambassador program got these titles early, including you, so wtf are you complaining?

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DiscostewSM said:
ManFranceGermany said:
seriously, this are not amateurs, they are professionals. those things should not happen.

You've completely ignored their statement about those titles being "updated" in the future to include such things that aren't mandatory to getting the game working on the 3DS "right now". Everyone of the Ambassador program got these titles early, including you, so wtf are you complaining?

This.

Again I will restate, The freaking classic controller for the Wii has the same y, x a, b configuration as the 3DS. On NES games for the wii it is possible to use the y button as the b button and the b button as the a button. What the heck makes you think their emulation team won't stick to their old ways???? Nintendo has enough issues as it is to be worrying about something as small as button placement preferences.
closedeyes.gif

dragonkid6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quietlyawesome94 said:
DiscostewSM said:
ManFranceGermany said:

This.

Again I will restate, The freaking classic controller for the Wii has the same y, x a, b configuration as the 3DS. On NES games for the wii it is possible to use the y button as the b button and the b button as the a button. What the heck makes you think their emulation team won't stick to their old ways???? Nintendo has enough issues as it is to be worrying about something as small as button placement preferences.
closedeyes.gif

While I agree, I simply want to say that the emulation on a 3DS vs. Wii is like a Windows vs. Linux vs. Mac. they may both work the same way and be used for similar purposes, but we all now how programs don't work the same on each. Hell I have Win7-64bit and can tell you how often I have to "find" a 64bit version of a program for an OS, made the same company.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
ManFranceGermany said:
What they served here is million time worse than with the NESDS Emulator.With this emulator I could at least play with Y and B.

Rofl, you would trade game compatibility, emulation quality, horrible screen scaling and poorer audio for different buttons?

The answer is very simple.
IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T PLAY IT

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spinal_cord said:
ManFranceGermany said:
What they served here is million time worse than with the NESDS Emulator.With this emulator I could at least play with Y and B.

Rofl, you would trade game compatibility, emulation quality, horrible screen scaling and poorer audio for different buttons?

The answer is very simple.
IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T PLAY IT
Yes, i would. This is why i never liked Sega Systems was due to their button layout. I can live with graphic glitches but a bad control layout makes it uncomfortable to play action games. I am from the NES era and the A and B buttons where right next to each other, side by side. When the SNES came about 90% of the action games used the y and B for shoot and jump. I went to the Ps1 they used the same type of layout as well for the PS2! So after 20 some years we are suppose to just accept this inferior design? I don't think so. I play GBA on the PSP due to the button issue. The EMU on it allows for a complete remap . You mean to tell me that, the company that makes the damn thing are so inept, that they can't out do some kids in their mom's basement?

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
So go signup on an official Nintendo forum some place and start a thread there about it. Nintendo very likely doesn't care a bit about what people say here, so go complain about it where they might hear you. If nobody actually tells them, chances are they might not even consider it.

PyroSpark

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arnold Schwarzenegger said:
Hm, it's not that bad. I played NES and GB emulators on my Lite when I had a lite. By default buttons were mapped the same and I learned to adapt to it.

This. But I hated adapting. Moving my finger just a little bit, was a lot more annoying than it sounded. >_>

xdixonx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me, I can hardly tell why anyone WOULD play it using B+Y. I've been using B+A forever, and if it was the other way around I'd be complaining that they had the control scheme backwards.

Seriously. Just press B with the left side of your thumb, and A with the left side. You don't even have to move your thumb at all.

BoxmanWTF

♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Schlupi said:
ManFranceGermany said:
sorry for answering late.

I called Big N. of Germany/Europe and they said some of the Titles will get 3D classics!!! and they will put an options to rearrange the buttons.
As far as i understood we will get those updates for free.
smile.gif

3D ZELDA PLOX.
wub.gif
ohmy.gif
YESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!!!

Bent

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
chartube12 said:
b is b and a is a, so what the fuc* is YOUR PROBLEM?

Making Y equal A would be very retarded.

You are misunderstanding. Y would be equal to B, and B would be equal to A.

I don't see why everyone is so hostile about this. All we want is customizable controls. And don't tell me that it isn't simply because Nintendo rushed it to the market, because the GB games that are in the eShop are the same way. It very well could happen in the future, but that also isn't the point. One can argue that if you have to think about the controls, then it isn't right.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: