Gaming NES VC Games. The A B Y X Layout Button problem

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kthnxshwn said:
I haven't a single problem with the button layout. I could see a problem if you'd just played the game on a SNES, but now it's a non issue.
Well to me it IS a issue.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Everyone who says that prefer A/B better than Y/B is lying. It's not a matter of preference, it's fucking obvious which one is more confortable for the hand (unless your finger is in L format).

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's all opinion, so I can't really make a sensible argument.

However, I can say that, when Nintendo adds full "functionality" to the VCs (they said they were going to add a few things), chances are they'll add an option to swap buttons. The other VC games can do this, right?

Bent

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Well, it's all opinion, so I can't really make a sensible argument.

However, I can say that, when Nintendo adds full "functionality" to the VCs (they said they were going to add a few things), chances are they'll add an option to swap buttons. The other VC games can do this, right?

Nope, the other VC games already on the 3DS are stuck using A/B as well. While there is of course is a chance they will add it, they haven't done it yet for anything on the 3DS yet.

dragonkid6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this topic is still going? Well lets break it down to it's simplest terms, YOU FAIL IF YOU CAN'T ADJUST TO THE CONTROLS OF ANY GAME. I play NA and JPN games for years and have no problem with X/O being swapped (PSP). This Y/B thing your all crazy about how much is better. If you've played a Ninty handheld in the last 10+ years you should be over this. If your serious about Y+B being better, then stat a petition for reversed button layout for the next Ninty handheld.

But I'm sure you know how stupid that would be. Also, since your such a big SMB fan then I'm sure you've played NSMB(DS), have been complaining about the controls since then? did you stop playing the game cause it was too hard for you play? For the less than 10 people on this board complaining about how bad the controls are, compared to you the million+ people who have played SMB have no problems with the controls.

Melee54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
i prefer Y,B not A,B i keep dieing in smb because i keep on pressing B to jump, very frustrating so i turned it off.

Same here. I tried giving it another chance today, hoping that I could adjust to A and B. Nope. I kept pressing Y to shoot fireballs and of course nothing would happen -__-

I don't get why people keep saying "You're an idiot if you don't prefer [so and so layout]". Obviously everyone prefers something different, while some have no preference and can easily adjust.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
One reason for them having the layout as-is is because it matches with how the games, manuals, etc. refer to how controls are used. The emulator used for running them is complete right now for what it is meant to do, which is to emulate the device to run the games. They will update their titles/emulator with additional options, but it is not a priority right now.

Nintendo has said the titles will be updated, which can include the option for button mapping. If anyone seriously feels to inform Nintendo about their titles having such an option, then address it to them rather than sit here complaining as if they will NEVER implement it.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
Everyone who says that prefer A/B better than Y/B is lying. It's not a matter of preference, it's fucking obvious which one is more confortable for the hand (unless your finger is in L format).

Your an idiot. It depends on how you hold the system, Since I use the D-Pad I hopd the system from the bottom up so I really dont mind the buttons, If you hold it from the side then YB would be much better but in the end does it SERIOUSLY MATTER ENOUGH TO MAKE A FUCKING 6 PAGE TOPIC ABOUT IT?!?!

Mondegreen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The A-B configuration is fine for me - I don't see what everybody is complaining about. I can see how the Y-B configuration is more convenient but I just roll my thumb from side to side onto the A button. I don't have to move my thumb anywhere.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Zantigo said:
Maedhros said:
Your post just helped making this topic bigger, so did mine. If you don't want it to grow, don't post.

Anyway since when is it forbidden to discuss certain things here? What's wrong with sharing opinions? No reason call anyone idiot or whatever...

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i grew up with this:
220px-Gameboy.jpg

where is the Y button?

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
NahuelDS said:
i grew up with this:
220px-Gameboy.jpg

where is the Y button?

Hells, yeah. I remember that from my Childhood too! Awesome!

I mean what is it with you new-age wipersnapers and your fancy buttons and all that on yer handhelds, back in our day we had a D-Pad, A, B, Start, and Select for our controls and we were happy with it!

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
NahuelDS said:
i grew up with this:
220px-Gameboy.jpg

where is the Y button?
Really? It's not about the button label. You could also call the two buttons duck and mouse, it wouldn't make a difference.

Btw, I grew up with the Atari 2600...

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Nimbus said:
NahuelDS said:
i grew up with this:
220px-Gameboy.jpg

where is the Y button?

Hells, yeah. I remember that from my Childhood too! Awesome!

I mean what is it with you new-age wipersnapers and your fancy buttons and all that on yer handhelds, back in our day we had a D-Pad, A, B, Start, and Select for our controls and we were happy with it!

I grew up with a GBC which had the exact same layout, I am still happy with it, yet I still prefer Y and B. This is not a matter of what buttons are being used, but the comfortability of the button layout. A and B are perfectly comfortable, when you are using a Gameboy system. From DS phat and up, the layout of the A and B buttons are different, with A higher up than before and therefore harder to reach with a relaxed thumb. These days, using the Y and B button combination is much more comfortable, with Y replacing B and B replacing A. When playing these games, all buttons that the GB/NES didn't have simply don't get used, so you really can't argue that we are complaining about a lack of buttons, because we aren't.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NahuelDS said:
i grew up with this:
220px-Gameboy.jpg

where is the Y button?
I was a teen when this came out. The Buttons are not a severely "ANGLED". You could still play it like a standard NES controller. Also if A and B was better then why does NDS Action games not use them? This is like buying one of those Knock off NES Hand helds from deal extreme. At least they can say it only cost ya $30 and not $300.

heat6jones

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo should have added a feature to allow us to setup custom controls. No need for this debate. I think technology has reached a point where button mapping on a controller should be feasible.

heat6jones

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SpaceJump said:
Zantigo said:
Maedhros said:
Your post just helped making this topic bigger, so did mine. If you don't want it to grow, don't post.

Anyway since when is it forbidden to discuss certain things here? What's wrong with sharing opinions? No reason call anyone idiot or whatever...

Yeah, not sure why some people cannot have a discussion without resorting to name-calling and cursing. Quite embarrassing that you can't be civil even when discussing buttons on a handheld device. I'd hate to see how some of you are at handling serious issues in your personal lives.

Then you have several users upset that this is being discussed and that the topic is receiving several replies. Well, this is a forum... I don't think it's too far out of a reach to have a discussion on an aspect of the 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5