N64 Emulator for Wii U (Not VWii)?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by Knucklesfan, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Knucklesfan
    OP

Knucklesfan GBAtemp Regular

Sep 11, 2016
    United States
    So I was wondering if anybody has began to port maybe a retroarch N64 Emulator. I would love to see this. Now, alot of people are saying "Why not just use N64 VC? Well, the N64 VC can't run romhacks, or run certain games I can play on RetroArch. And, yes I understand, Wii64 always exists, and it can run SOME rom hacks, but I would love to see an N64 running at the Wii U's processor speeds. If only I could play Last Impact on any other device than a computer...

2. Durelle

Durelle GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2016
    Canada
    NB, Canada
    AFAIK there isnt any development yet on that at all an d Wii64 well, not very good. But ive had good luck using Not64 on the few games i played on it. Its on the vWii but im pretty sure it has the WiiU pro controller support

3. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Yes no nintendo 64 emulator is in production due to the fact it would need a dynarec recompiler just as a psx emu would need to run at a decent speed. The experts say to develop a dynarec recompiler for the wiiu would take months if not years to achive

Last edited by Marko76, Mar 2, 2017
  4. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    In other words, we need someone willing to put in the effort to learn how the Wii U works, so they can either write an emulator from scratch or port an existing one.

5. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Sadly there is none in development that we know of.
    Right now, there are some options:
    • Code a PowerPC dynarec of Mupen64 so that RetroArch can include the Mupen64 core into the RetroArch builds.
    • Port over Not64/Wii64 as a core to RetroArch. This would immediately make it compatible with the Wii U since it's also based in PowerPC architecture.
    • Further hack/develop the Wii U's N64 Virtual Console emulator. Right now this is the only option we have for playing N64 games in the Wii U, but sadly Nintendo decided to force all kind of video settings to what they wanted. Hacking it would mean removing the gamma correction (dark image) and perhaps hacking the RPX to allow 16:9 output instead of the forced 4:3.
    • Create new INI files for games which are not yet compatible with the Wii U's N64 VC.
      This would require people who are somewhat involved in the emulation scene as well as people who have hacked some N64 games in order to make proper INI files.
    All of these are way easier than coding an N64 emulator from scratch for the console.
    I would go for either option 1 or option 4, those are our best bets right now when it comes to the Wii U.

Last edited by ShadowOne333, Mar 3, 2017
  6. cruplezone

cruplezone GBAtemp Regular

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    At this rate you should just as when is it coming out for the switch?

7. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    Hate to say it, but making a PowerPC dynarec basically is making an emulator from scratch. It's hard to explain just how complex of a task that is - you'd basically be writing something with a similar level of complexity to a C compiler. They weren't kidding when they said it's a months/years job.

lordelan, ShadowOne333 and DarthDub like this.
  8. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    Sure, because EVERYONE wants to buy a new console when it's bleeding edge, has a very limited game selection, and is as expensive as it likely ever will be.

Last edited by dubbz82, Mar 4, 2017
  9. Durelle

Durelle GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2016
    Canada
    NB, Canada
    the Gamma correction Alone would be nice

ShadowOne333 likes this.
  10. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Yeah I wasn't really aware of how much of a task that would be, thanks for explaining though :)

Indeed, that alone would make it so much better, I hate having to play N64 games with opaque colours.
    Super Mario 64 screams in agony for that.

Sufficient to say, the best way is to kind of figure out the vessel.rpx in a basic level, just to be able to change the settings of resolution and gamma correction and I would be a pretty happy man.
    The documentation of INI files alongside wi

KiiWii likes this.
  11. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Can you put a question mark in the title? It's a bit clickbaity.

12. Knucklesfan
    OP

Knucklesfan GBAtemp Regular

Sep 11, 2016
    United States
    I did... Least, im fairly sure. it shows up for me.

Quantumcat likes this.
  13. El 15

El 15 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 10, 2016
    Mexico
    I have been waiting for a n64 and psx emulator since wiiu was released I hope some day it were possible

14. cruplezone

cruplezone GBAtemp Regular

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    never

15. Vorde

Vorde Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    It's not that it isn't possible. It's more like... why bother porting something over to a console no one cares about. I have heard multiple times that it is super obtuse to program and develop for

16. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Also the fact that VC already exists, so that removes 90% of the use case

Vorde likes this.
  17. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    with the switch released all hackers now want to hack the switch wich will be much more friendly for homebrew since its ARM instead of wiiu hard as hell PPC programing.

Vorde likes this.
  18. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Maybe pointing out that N64 Isn't even near perfect accuracy on PC so to make console ports and expect them to work is a miracle. I haven't used any VC injection for n64, dunno how, but if there is possible, and some games are there i would wanna play, that be nice. I have DK64 which is what i hoped for since WII. Glad most of the games i hoped for is there, like sin and punishment, but diddy kong racing would be good choice for VC game, or remake with online mode... or snowboard kids, or 1080 Snowboarding.... SO MANY GOOD CHOICES FOR GAMES. :P

19. Vorde

Vorde Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    They may not be 100% cycle accurate but 95% of the games out there play near perfectly. The game consoles that Nintendo make are really obtuse and weird which makes them difficult to emulate perfectly. Then again, realistically speaking, no one really needs perfect emulation. If you care that much, just buy the actual console

20. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    There isn't much for the homebrew guys to do before exploits are built, so the mass exodus away from the Wii U everyone's been predicting hasn't actually happened.
    Also, where did you get the idea PowerPC is a pain? Didn't see any problems for the Wii. It's simply less common, which means certain things (dynarec) haven't been made yet. ARM would take just as long, it's just that people have already written stuff for that platform.

CreeperMario likes this.