vWii vs Wii VC?

autumns

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just modded my wii u with aroma and tiramisu, and i'm curious if wii games run the same in vWii as in Wii VC injects? are there any major differences visual quality or play wise or is it just launching the same thing from a forwarder of sorts?

Ventilo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wii VC injects allow you to run Wii mods and GameCube games without needing to hack your vWii (but it is still needed for WiiWare injects), to use the Wii U GamePad and, for compatible homebrews, to overclock your vWii.
The vWii, outside VC injects, allow you to play disc games, to install and play their channels (for example, installing the Mario Kart channel from a Mario Kart Wii VC inject won't work) and to use homebrews which don't work with injections (for example, the Homebrew App Store for Wii).
Outside of these aspects, it's the same. The greatest visual quality a Wii game can offer on Wii U is 480p, whether you're running it with the vWii or a Wii VC inject.

Reactions: autumns

neverends4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard with vWii +USB loaders you can turn off deflicker to get clearer video output, but with VC injects you cannot do this.
Another perk for vWii is you can use cheats.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I heard with vWii +USB loaders you can turn off deflicker to get clearer video output, but with VC injects you cannot do this.
Another perk for vWii is you can use cheats.

You can technically do both of these with VC injections, it just sucks a lot.

To disable deflicker you need to unpack the disc image with a tool like Wiimms ISO Tool, e.g. wit x mariokartwii.wbfs mkwii then you can search the main.dol for the following code fragment:
Code:
99498000 90E98000 99498000 91098000 41820040
That last one is a conditional branch, you can replace it with a forced branch to skip over enabling the deflicker filter:
Code:
99498000 90E98000 99498000 91098000 48000040
That's identical except for the last part (4800...) which forces the branch. I don't know how reliable this exact byte sequence is, it's just the one I've encountered when looking at this. It's code from one the SDK libraries, so it should be broadly the same across all games, but it might change with different SDK versions, e.g. depending on when the game came out.

For using cheats in VC titles, you again need an unpacked image (like I did with wit above), then you need a compiled GCT cheat file (like your USB loader can make or this online tool), and lastly you need Wiimms StaticR Tool. Then you can apply your GCT to your main.dol with wstrt patch main.dol --add-section mycheats.gct.

Then you can rebuild your image with something like wit copy mkwii mariokartwii-hacked.wbfs or whatever your preferred format is and lastly inject that file with your injection tool.

So like I said, it sucks.

neverends4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then you can rebuild your image with something like wit copy mkwii mariokartwii-hacked.wbfs or whatever your preferred format is and lastly inject that file with your injection tool.

So like I said, it sucks.
Thanks for the info! But by saying "rebuild your image" u mean this is a title by titile/game by game process if I want cheats/deflicer with injects?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto