Hardware N3DS NAND backup possible, I hope.

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
because the nand in the 3DS isnt a USB drive, its a emmc chip.....which is basically very similar to a SD card, so its possible to read it via a SD reader, hooking a USB cable directly to the chip will result in 1 of 2 option

2) you fry your nand and your 3DS is dead

Is it at risk to use an integrated sd card reader? Probably sure its okay, but just want to make sure if theres a diference between using a sd card reader directly on the motherboard and using an sd card usb adapter.. to backup my nand i used an adapter that i sold.. and now o want to re-inject my nand and the only sd reader i have right now is an integrated one (wich basicly is in a usb connector on the mobo..) and some cheap dollar store sd adapter.. :P

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Besides getting it to fit in there, there are ways to connect it directly with USB cables. The only problem is if Gateway re-releases faulty brick code, you will not be able to use it with a RasPi to unbrick. Bear in mind it's been about 2 years since we last saw the GW bricks.

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
..sooo anyone knows? (about my question above)
To resume my question: is it risky to use an integrated sd card reader instead of an sd card adapter? ..just wanna make sure the same amount of voltage is given from an onboard sd card reader and an adapter..

Thanks ;)

milerwan

Seasoned technician
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Both are not risky.
Just you have to be sure to find an USB reader compatible with your eMMC NAND first before modified it.

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Both are not risky.
Just you have to be sure to find an USB reader compatible with your eMMC NAND first before modified it.
..why would i want an usb reader if i'm using an integrated sd card reader?..maybe you didnt understand my question correctly: i'm wondering if its safe (..voltage..) to use a sd card reader thats integrated to the pc's motherboard, instead of a usb adapter?
Francais: je veux m'assurer que c'est sécure d'utiliser un lecteur de carte sd qui est integré à la carte-mere de l'ordinateur, au lieu d'un adaptateur usb.

i'm pretty sure its the same voltage draw then a usb adapter, but i just wanna make sure, you know, dont want to burn my nand,.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
..why would i want an usb reader if i'm using an integrated sd card reader?..maybe you didnt understand my question correctly: i'm wondering if its safe (..voltage..) to use a sd card reader thats integrated to the pc's motherboard, instead of a usb adapter?
Francais: je veux m'assurer que c'est sécure d'utiliser un lecteur de carte sd qui est integré à la carte-mere de l'ordinateur, au lieu d'un adaptateur usb.

i'm pretty sure its the same voltage draw then a usb adapter, but i just wanna make sure, you know, dont want to burn my nand,.
I misunderstood you the first time.

Integrated is fine as long as it is compatible with the 3DS you are dumping. If it is not compatible, there will be no damage. It just will not work. I used the integrated SD slot on my PC until the "new" 3DS was released. I found that it wasn't compatible and had to purchase a USB reader suggested at the beginning of the thread.

Reactions: puss2puss

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I misunderstood you the first time.

Integrated is fine as long as it is compatible with the 3DS you are dumping. If it is not compatible, there will be no damage. It just will not work. I used the integrated SD slot on my PC until the "new" 3DS was released. I found that it wasn't compatible and had to purchase a USB reader suggested at the beginning of the thread.
Nice! Thanks for the answer ;)

D

Deleted-368796

I have tried to search for an answer to this question, but I have not found an answer.

The little black 4 pin connectors on the N3DS XL mobo, you have to lift them up to get the flex cable out. So kind of a spring loaded clamp of sorts.
There are 4 of these on the board. 2 on the bottom left corner on the back of the mobo (for Mic and Home button), and one just below the bottom screen flex cable (top middle of board), then one more right by the game cartridge shielding (NFC?)

My Home button was not working, pulled it open to see what was going on. As long as I hold pressure on the clamp, the button works. Tried to add a piece of tape to hold down pressure on the connector, but it fails to work consistently. Tried a few other things as well to rig it up.

I see a few people having issues with the Mic and Home, yet no one has mentioned what the issue was.
ALSO note: If the clamp for the bottom screen 4pin flex is not making good contact, the console will shut down immediately when you turn it on. You will get a blue light, then a pop from the speakers as the unit shuts off.

How is everyone modding their systems not running into issues? Once you lift up on those connectors, there really is no way to make them stay down again.
Seems like to me Ninty decided to make these new units neigh impossible to repair. Why would you move away from a proven gated clamp that click/locks into place???

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have tried to search for an answer to this question, but I have not found an answer.

The little black 4 pin connectors on the N3DS XL mobo, you have to lift them up to get the flex cable out. So kind of a spring loaded clamp of sorts.
There are 4 of these on the board. 2 on the bottom left corner on the back of the mobo (for Mic and Home button), and one just below the bottom screen flex cable (top middle of board), then one more right by the game cartridge shielding (NFC?)

My Home button was not working, pulled it open to see what was going on. As long as I hold pressure on the clamp, the button works. Tried to add a piece of tape to hold down pressure on the connector, but it fails to work consistently. Tried a few other things as well to rig it up.

I see a few people having issues with the Mic and Home, yet no one has mentioned what the issue was.
ALSO note: If the clamp for the bottom screen 4pin flex is not making good contact, the console will shut down immediately when you turn it on. You will get a blue light, then a pop from the speakers as the unit shuts off.

How is everyone modding their systems not running into issues? Once you lift up on those connectors, there really is no way to make them stay down again.
Seems like to me Ninty decided to make these new units neigh impossible to repair. Why would you move away from a proven gated clamp that click/locks into place???
Do not lift the connector to release the cable. You just carefully pull the cable out. I like to use a pair of tweezers.

Reactions: nallar
D

Deleted-368796

Great, guess I have ruined my board then.
Is there a video out there that shows how to properly pull the flex cables out?
I tired that at first, but I felt like I was going to break the cable when it catches on the sides that stick out on the tip.

omegart

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This due to connector that has been pull up during disassembly (this part don't need to be raised...).
Try to remove the Home button ribbon, press on the connector then plug the Home ribbon and press again one time the connector.
This trick must fix your issue.

PS : Test the Home button with console opened and battery maintained with fingers. This avoids having to disassemble / reassemble the shell.
i have the same problem but the solution you offered didn't work for me... the ribbon is ok, and the connector isn't broke..

Slashmolder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I managed to mess up my n3ds XL's firmware. I have backups of the NAND but my hardware NAND mod isn't working and I'm unable to entry recovery mode. I assume the NAND mod is broken and I'm failing to fix it correctly. Is there anyone here trusted I could pay to do the NAND mod in a lot cleaner way?

Ninoh-FOX

Otaku Gamer!!
Trophies
Website
colorslive.com
XP
Country
Spain
I make hardmod to my n3ds, i has a copy of 9.0 and i update to v10.2 for extrated seeddb.bin, i try go back the firnware, the r/w is ok, but the system in corrupte, shuff blue screen, the nand.bin work because i go back to the 9.2 to 9.0 via gatewat but with the hardmod no work to full, i can back of 10.2 to 9.0 but i may reboot very times.

Help...

Last edited by Ninoh-FOX,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I make hardmod to my n3ds, i has a copy of 9.0 and i update to v10.2 for extrated seeddb.bin, i try go back the firnware, the r/w is ok, but the system in corrupte, shuff blue screen, the nand.bin work because i go back to the 9.2 to 9.0 via gatewat but with the hardmod no work to full, i can back of 10.2 to 9.0 but i may reboot very times.

Help...
You've upgraded to 9.2 before, then downgraded back to 9.0 using the Gateway menu? This should mean your nand.bin is ok.

Have you EVER successfully flashed a nand using your hard mod and either dd or winimage? Have you been able to dump your nand with the hard mod? Do it twice in a row, with different names, and see if the hash matches.

And in hindsight... Why the hell didn't you simply make an emunand, upgrade it and download something from the eshop with that, to get your seeddb?

Ninoh-FOX

Otaku Gamer!!
Trophies
Website
colorslive.com
XP
Country
Spain
In new 3ds not works emunand 10.2

The question is, if i can make reader and writer the nand the problem not is the cables, is not?

I tried too rewrite the nand with Decrypter9, write no problem, but the system problem no changed... I changed the cables four times and nothing...

Last edited by Ninoh-FOX,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In new 3ds not works emunand 10.2

The question is, if i can make reader and writer the nand the problem not is the cables, is not?

I tried too rewrite the nand with Decrypter9, write no problem, but the system problem no changed... I changed the cables four times and nothing...
My bad on the N3DS thing, but you're not making any sense. How are you trying to write a nand with decrypt 9 on 10.2? You can't. You have to use Winimage to write the nand. Or dd if you're on Linux or Mac.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    :( I feel sorry for you, man.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Genetics
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Ive done that a lot. Hot compresses.
    It does provide temp relief but comes back right away.
    A simple surgery might be able to correct it for both of you
    +1
    The source of this information for me is Dr House. Some of the stories where based on actual cases
    +1
    One episode helped me save a life one time
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    House M.D. is great.
    Sad for the pain. I hope it gets better somehow. @RedColoredStars
    +2
    Yes. Thats what Ive read. Surgery is most likely required. I sent a message to the ENT center with my concerns and asked if I should be seen much sooner and not wait, since it will be 71 days since symptoms started until my appointment.
    +1
    Guy came in his lips where turning blue, I knew he was having a heart attack and I raced him to the ER they saved him
    +2
    Without House I wouldn't have recognized the symptoms
    +1
    Blue like this?
    rk4URjod_ZYte_1024.webp
    House was fantastic show from the episodes I've seen. Maybe I should watch the entire series.
    +3
    @HiradeGirl, almost, definitely a noticeable difference than normal color
    Are your lips blue like that Hirada?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, The theme for House M.D. reminds me of when Computer Clan used this as their intro music.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I miss the old days.
    Me too. When I was young and not all fucking broken.
    +1
    @RedColoredStars Maybe I'm having a stroke. Sorry gtg, will update later.
    +1
    Getting older really sucks if you have health problems. I was a preemie and have had health issues off and on my entire life. But its gotten much worse since I hit 40. That was 12 years ago.
    Probably wont live to see 70.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @HiradeGirl, Okay, see you soon.
    I hear mouth to mouth can help with a stroke. Anyone there to breath some life into you? lol
    +1
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: I hear mouth to mouth can help with a stroke. Anyone there to breath some life into you? lol +1