MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
There's only a hack for Dream Land 1 unfortunately and it has that annoying specific pink color on Kirby.
I'd love to get KDL2 too as it's one of my favorite GB games.
Yeah, they always colorize these things with too much saturation. Kirby's pink color is atrocious, and I wish someone would fix it and tone it down.

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, but how do I go to the effort of making a colorised ROM hack?
There's this tool for making simplistic colourisation by editing palettes, won't give anything like the amount of control or quality you could get by assembly editing, but it's something you could play with straight away:

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/30/

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There's this tool for making simplistic colourisation by editing palettes, won't give anything like the amount of control or quality you could get by assembly editing, but it's something you could play with straight away:

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/30/
Ah, yes. It's the infamous GB Colorizer.

We all know that this tool messes up the ROM very badly. I once tried using it on Yoshi (the GB game) and I got glitched results.

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The Mega Man World 5 DX hack has gained its first ever negative review. This user doesn’t recommend it just because “there is flickering and the bosses don’t have shading anymore”.

He probably does not know what technical limitations are.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Mega Man World 5 DX hack has gained its first ever negative review. This user doesn’t recommend it just because “there is flickering and the bosses don’t have shading anymore”.

He probably does not know what technical limitations are.
The review section is the biggest weakness of RHDN imho.
First I don't know whether it's good to only have those two states (yes/no) because I read several reviews that were very positive but had a little thing in the last paragraph "preventing" them from "recommending" it which in most cases would have been no game-breaking issue for me at all. I would rather introduce a rating system where each user gives up to 10/10 points. (But then again Steam does the yes/no thing too...)
Second I find it totally annoying that there's no chance at all to react to reviews. You should be able to drop comments there. What if someone doesn't recommend a hack because he oversaw something? Your only chance then is to write a separate review (which I often saw already) like "regarding review xxx..." or "despite the other reviews here..."
Especially it would be a good opportunity for the hack creator(s) to react to a review, especially when the issue(s) got fixed meanwhile.

What if you release v1.7 of your hack, something is broken, you earn 20 negative reviews, then you fix it in v1.8 but out of randomness, no one writes another review or edits/removes the old one. That would mean you have a working hack online but every visitor only sees 20 negative reviews and immediately skips on it.

Also sending email notifications to the review creator when a comment on their review was made would help a lot, getting him/her back to edit/adjust the review.

tl;dr: The review system of Romhacking.net is cursed as it is currently and that's a shame.

Reactions: SDA

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The review section is the biggest weakness of RHDN imho.
First I don't know whether it's good to only have those two states (yes/no) because I read several reviews that were very positive but had a little thing in the last paragraph "preventing" them from "recommending" it which in most cases would have been no game-breaking issue for me at all. I would rather introduce a rating system where each user gives up to 10/10 points. (But then again Steam does the yes/no thing too...)
Second I find it totally annoying that there's no chance at all to react to reviews. You should be able to drop comments there. What if someone doesn't recommend a hack because he oversaw something? Your only chance then is to write a separate review (which I often saw already) like "regarding review xxx..." or "despite the other reviews here..."
Especially it would be a good opportunity for the hack creator(s) to react to a review, especially when the issue(s) got fixed meanwhile.

What if you release v1.7 of your hack, something is broken, you earn 20 negative reviews, then you fix it in v1.8 but out of randomness, no one writes another review or edits/removes the old one. That would mean you have a working hack online but every visitor only sees 20 negative reviews and immediately skips on it.

Also sending email notifications to the review creator when a comment on their review was made would help a lot, getting him/her back to edit/adjust the review.

tl;dr: The review system of Romhacking.net is cursed as it is currently and that's a shame.
I 100% agree with you. RHDN's review system is one of the reasons I hate this site.

Some of the statements you made are true, when someone writes a negative review on a specific version of a specific hack they do not always go back on editing it when a new version of that hack is released, as they just no longer care about that hack any more. An example is Super Mario Land DX: version 2.0 has been released from a while and the review section has reviews about that version now, but all the negative reviews dating back from version 1.0 are still there - I mean, people who didn't recommend this colorization due to past issues never bothered to edit their reviews even after they were fixed!

About your rating system proposal: yes, this is permitted to write in a review, but the site rules strongly discourage them as seen here:
  • Numerical ratings or scores, though allowed, are discouraged. Our goal is to put the emphasis on the review content and we already support a ‘Recommended’ or ‘Not Recommended’ selection to your review.
The RHDN staff just wants to know if you recommend an hack or not, nothing more than that.

Some people also use this review system to criticize others' works for no reason: an user who goes by the name of "Morinis" wrote multiple negative reviews on hacks that only change the graphics or the player character. And that just for their lack of "gameplay changes". From this I can assume this guy does not like graphic hacks at all, but why'd you have to make such insulting reviews on something you dislike when you can just walk past them? Makes no sense, really.

What is more, I'm one of those few people who dead hate criticism from other people. The only two ROM hacks I uploaded to ROMhacking.net weren't that good, and one got a positive review simply because I removed it from download. My biggest fear is that someday one of the users there might write a negative review on any of my works, and I won't have a single chance to reply to them. If you get a negative review from someone, you can only take it in.

Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I 100% agree with you. RHDN's review system is one of the reasons I hate this site.

Some of the statements you made are true, when someone writes a negative review on a specific version of a specific hack they do not always go back on editing it when a new version of that hack is released, as they just no longer care about that hack any more. An example is Super Mario Land DX: version 2.0 has been released from a while and the review section has reviews about that version now, but all the negative reviews dating back from version 1.0 are still there - I mean, people who didn't recommend this colorization due to past issues never bothered to edit their reviews even after they were fixed!

About your rating system proposal: yes, this is permitted to write in a review, but the site rules strongly discourage them as seen here:
  • Numerical ratings or scores, though allowed, are discouraged. Our goal is to put the emphasis on the review content and we already support a ‘Recommended’ or ‘Not Recommended’ selection to your review.
The RHDN staff just wants to know if you recommend an hack or not, nothing more than that.

Some people also use this review system to criticize others' works for no reason: an user who goes by the name of "Morinis" wrote multiple negative reviews on hacks that only change the graphics or the player character. And that just for their lack of "gameplay changes". From this I can assume this guy does not like graphic hacks at all, but why'd you have to make such insulting reviews on something you dislike when you can just walk past them? Makes no sense, really.

What is more, I'm one of those few people who dead hate criticism from other people. The only two ROM hacks I uploaded to ROMhacking.net weren't that good, and one got a positive review simply because I removed it from download. My biggest fear is that someday one of the users there might write a negative review on any of my works, and I won't have a single chance to reply to them. If you get a negative review from someone, you can only take it in.
While I don't actually hate RHDN (in fact I love it for what it mainly does - offer a platform to share rom hacks), I agree with most things you wrote. And the conclusion is again: It's all about the review system, really.

Reactions: SDA

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
While I don't actually hate RHDN (in fact I love it for what it mainly does - offer a platform to share rom hacks), I agree with most things you wrote. And the conclusion is again: It's all about the review system, really.
It's a matter of opinions. I dislike RHDN mostly because the people there weren't friendly with me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-