"Kirby's Dream Land 2 DX", a full colorization hack by kkzero, has been released

The original Game Boy was home to a great library of beloved titles, like Pokemon and the Super Mario Land series, which spawned the Wario Land subseries of games as well.
A certain set of titles, Tetris and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, got their initial release on the Game Boy, but later on, they both got subsequent releases, receiving a new "DX" suffix in their title.
Tetris DX and Link's Awakening DX released as new Game Boy Color compatible games, adding an entire colorization for each game to take advantage of the Game Boy Color's new hardware, which allowed for a full set of palettes, even more than those of the original NES. Some even got added content, like in the case of Link's Awakening, which got a whole new dungeon based on the entire "color" gimmick, and awarding Link a new colored tunic with a special ability once completed.

Since then, many fans have dreamed of how their favourite monochrome Game Boy titles could have looked like if they got the full "DX" treatment back then, with some getting mockups online, and others getting only brief images of planned DX ports, like Metroid II: Return of Samus, but never seeing the light of day. However, in the past decade, the homebrew and hacking community has taken it upon themselves to fulfill these long-life dreams of fully colored Game Boy titles into a reality, and some renowned hackers, like Iván Delgado (toruzz) and Marc Robledo (marc_max), colorizing some of the most beloved titles of the library, like Super Mario Land DX and Mega Man World 5 DX.

This time, a user by the name of kkzero in Romhacking.net, decided to take it upon himself to give the full DX treatment to one of the most liked and charming titles of the original Game Boy library, Kirby's Dream Land 2. kkzero showcases just how a well done colorization can bring such a title to new lengths, giving it new life with vibrant and carefully selected colors for each stage and asset. He worked on this project for over a year, on-and-off on, colorizing this title, and his hard work has come to fruition, realized in a fully fledged and beautiful colorization, to which he expressed the following:

kkzero said:
Never would I have thought that butchering the text of Metroid Fusion with Google Translate five years ago would throw me down a path to colorizing one of the Game Boy's best games. This is undoubtedly the biggest project I have ever undertook, and it's finally available in a complete form. It's bound to make a lot of people happy, and it could very well change a part of my own world. I sincerely hope you enjoy what I've done for Kirby's Dream Land 2.

7724screenshot1.png
7724screenshot2.png
7724screenshot3.png
7724screenshot4.png

This isn't the first time kkzero has worked on a colorization project, as he has previously done other DX colorizations, like Faceball 2000 DX, King James Bible DX and even another Kirby title for the Game Boy, Kirby's Pinball Land DX.

Those interested in trying out this lovely DX hack, can download the patch on Romhacking.net and patch it over their Kirby's Dream Land 2 ROM.
As always, links to ROMs are not allowed, so users must rely on their legally (or dubiously) dumped copies to play this hack.

:arrow: Kirby's Dream Land 2 DX release page on RHDN

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It looks really awesome ! The Pinball Land colorization had some questionable color choices, but this one seems spot on. Great work !

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Had to pirate the ROM to try this out (I legally own the game, but I don't currently have a Game Boy cartridge dumper). The graphics are AMAZING! It looks like it was made especially for the Game Boy Color. Now, if I could only get my hands on an Analogue Pocket (and a cartridge dumper so I don't have to keep pirating what I already own), this would really be an experience!
If you had an Analogue Pocket I'm pretty sure you can patch the original cart "on the fly".

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is another impressive ROM hack that I'm gonna play.

incoming DMCA! :creep:
Please stop with the DMCA jokes, its getting very tiring.

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
THIS is what I'm talking about! Not that Trip World DX scam, which I think even looks a little worse than the B&W original
Post automatically merged:

I know right? I'm fucking sick of reading the same thing every time something Nintendo-related pops up

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France

But that's his only relevance at this point, you're gonna put him out of a job. :y

About the hack, this is pretty neat. This is far from being my favourite Kirby game, mainly due to how annoying some of the collectables can be, but still, looks really good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end