"Dr. Mario" for the GameBoy gets a colour remaster romhack by Marc Robledo featuring new playable characters

1699387702840.png

Romhacks never cease to amaze and breath new life into old and beloved retro classics. When it comes to quality romhacks, the great colourization projects made popular by renowned developers like toruzz (Iván Delgado) and @marc_max (Marc Robledo), and this time Marc has brought forth yet another colourization project, with "Dr. Mario" getting the DX treatment by him.

"Dr. Mario DX" is a romhack originally released on July, 2020, which revamps the GameBoy's original classic with fully coloured graphics akin to a GameBoy Color title, as well as adding new and modified sprites to closely resemble the NES version of the game but with the better colour palette of the GameBoy Color. However, as of November 7th, 2023, Marc has released a new update to the romhack that adds new content, implementing a number of Quality of Life changes into the game's original code, and not only that, but he has added 3 new additional playable characters to the title, with the full cast being Dr. Mario, Dr. Luigi, Dr. Wario and Dr. Daisy to choose from!

5281screenshot1.png
5281screenshot2.png

5281screenshot3.png
5281screenshot4.png

You can download the patch for Dr. Mario DX from Romhacking.net's webpage for the hack.
As usual with romhacks, you're required to bring your own ROM of Dr. Mario (Rev 1 / Rev A) for the original GameBoy to be able to patch and play the romhack. Enjoy this beloved classic in its most definitive iteration yet, courtesy of the expertise of Marc Robledo!

:arrow: Dr. Mario DX RHDN page
:arrow: Marc Robledo's website

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool. Never liked playing dr.mario. First time I did try was in the NES REMIX. :ninja:
Same here, I have no idea why but I could never enjoy it.

My friend's mother was a GOD though. She would play the hardest level on max difficulty and clear the whole game. Like you only start with a tiny little space at the top and one mistake ends it.

Reactions: Blythe93

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only gameboy titles ive ever tried have been recolor hacks. keep it up and i might actually play some of the library.

i dunno why but even as a kid i had a dislike for gameboy until it became gameboy color because i thought it was stupid to have black and white gaming.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same here, I have no idea why but I could never enjoy it.

My friend's mother was a GOD though. She would play the hardest level on max difficulty and clear the whole game. Like you only start with a tiny little space at the top and one mistake ends it.
I mean I just dislike how the pills are stuck in the air when you put them on the viruses. The only way to make them fall is to match four colors which just seems more complicated than something like Puyo Puyo. Unlike Puyo Puyo where the stuff fall to the bottom, it least gives more space to think about the next move, not staying suspended in the air on a virus.

Too bad Nintendo don't give much attention to Wario Woods or Panel de pon... I mean "Puzzle league" :ninja:
Seems like Dr.Mario managed to be on more consoles than well, the ones I just mentioned.

Reactions: DS1

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good times playing this game when i was a kid on NES. We would start on level 1 and work our way to level 20+. Kept tabs of our high scores and constantly tried beating each others scores. Donkey kong jr. Was another one we constantly tried to beat the high score

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You know what games need color restoration / fixing? Virtual Boy games.

Either you play it in Black and Red, or Black and White... the latter is personally better because B&R is just a headache to look at.

Virtual Boy is a hard console to tackle.
Mostly because the architecture compared to GameBoy is way different, and secondly because it never had a coloured revision like the GameBoy did.
As far as colorizations go, only the GameBoy and Neo Geo Pocket got colored revisions of their consoles, which makes colorizing games for their original consoles feasible.

For Virtual Boy it would require recreating the whole game from scratch in another console I dare say.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As far as colorizations go, only the GameBoy and Neo Geo Pocket got colored revisions of their consoles, which makes colorizing games for their original consoles feasible.
You forgot about the Wonderswan that also got a colored revision.

Reactions: Bricked_3DS-Man

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I've been playing this romhack for over a year. Did something big get fixed or something, to warrant a thread about it? :unsure:

Quoting from the readme.txt:
CHANGELOG

v1.0 (2020-07-20)
  • first version

v2.0 (2023-11-08)
  • full code rewrite
  • added character selection
  • new title screen
  • added winning pose to single player
  • added stage palette changing every five stages (up to stage 25)
  • allow to return to title screen during game setup by pressing B button
  • fixed a timer interruption issue that could cause extremely rare freezes
  • graphics and palettes tweaks
  • restored DMG compatibility

So basically, the original one was a plain color hack, whereas the 2.0 version is a complete rewrite with new characters, graphics, convenience features and even support for the original Game Boy.

Reactions: Jayro and zfreeman

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know if it's just coincidence, but a certain rom website called "romance" uploaded the romhack hours later. lol

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean I just dislike how the pills are stuck in the air when you put them on the viruses. The only way to make them fall is to match four colors which just seems more complicated than something like Puyo Puyo. Unlike Puyo Puyo where the stuff fall to the bottom, it least gives more space to think about the next move, not staying suspended in the air on a virus.

Too bad Nintendo don't give much attention to Wario Woods or Panel de pon... I mean "Puzzle league" :ninja:
Seems like Dr.Mario managed to be on more consoles than well, the ones I just mentioned.
I liked Wario Woods. Tetris Attack was the favorite of a lot of my friends, though I never played it.

But let us all bow down to King Wetrix, the only true advancement of the falling block puzzle genre

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto